Nexus 5 by Vantrue N5 In-depth look

LateralNW

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
VArious
First, let me acknowledge and thank @Jeff_Vantrue for sending out this production unit for me to play with.

The Dashcam came well packed including the 3 wire hardwire kit and fuse adaptors that are suitable for most fuse types. Very nice addition to the kit.
The Vantrue Dashcam was well packed in a white box with Vantrue graphics front and back with QR codes to assist in finding the app of the app stores both Android and Apple.

The front dashcam has two cameras in it one facing forward and the other pointing into the cabin complemented with Infrared
light for night footage or when the cabin is dark like an underground car park.

Unlike other dashcams I have reviewed I didn't bench test it and just fitted it to the car without any firmware updates or anything else as I wanted to see
what the experience would be, imitating what most would normally do when they purchased it, and was excited to get it up and running ASAP.

The front camera is a large unit and can only be fitted in one way so it is very important to work out where it is going to be mounted.
In my car, I mounted it directly under the rear vision mirror mount as it was the only sensible place mainly due to its large size.

I had to mount it a second time as the location I picked happened to be just under the wiper blade sensor also which prevented the rear camera cable from being able to be
plugged in without excess pressure on the connector. Trial and error I guess.

Unfortunately for me even after highlighting the well-explained graphics wrapped around the rear camera, I still managed to stuff it up so I also had to refit the rear camera!
So the lesson here is both cameras can only be mounted one way. You can't rotate them due to the method of cable fitting and the amount of twist the lenses can move.

The front-facing camera has this large "dish" circling around the lens. It makes the dashcam obvious when viewed from outside of the car. I do wonder if it has a purpose other than
looks and perhaps is also used to dissipate heat. Pure speculation of course.

While it hasn't done much recording yet I have run two types of memory cards in them and neither were rejected. Further use will highlight any problems that may arise from them.

The way the dashcam mounts to the windscreen means that it only has a small amount of adjustment on my car. I have it a full tilt so I can get some of the cars bonnet in the shot.
The ball pivot method it uses may be an issue for cars with longer/steeper angles.

The front mount connects to the windscreen with 3M tape and the dashcam mounts to the windscreen mount using a magnetic interlock. Surprisingly it is quite stable and would require
a hard impact for it to dislodge I believe.

Night driving video Quality.
In the area I drove for the first video test results I pick an area that becomes very dark in places.
I found the front camera did an alright job but seemed to have a problem with it when I attempted to pause the footage. There was image blur or multi frames looking like a blur when I attempted to capture the license plate of the card beside me.

Remember this is an early release of this dashcam and I haven't looked at any firmware updates at this stage.

The following Youtube video was recorded in 1080P so the driving footage near the end of the video is not in true native configuration. It is just a teaser to see what all the cameras do at the same time.
Unfortunately, I didn't notice until I had completed my testing that the rear window was smudgy/dirty.

I have just completed this little video of how the 4 dashcams are also useful outside of just seeing into the cabin.

It would have been even better if I had lifted the rearview mirror up a couple of mm then it would have also been able to see out the rear windows.
Video editing software doesn't like me so this simple little 1 min vid took more time than a 5 year old would have taken to create.

Regardless here it is. I have lined up another video at night with the car full of people to get an idea of the cameras and the Infrared abilities.

Hehe yeah editing can be a pain some times, i have no idea how many hours i have spent doing that trying to get a output i like ( including watching video tutorials of how to do this and that )

But lets just say the ratio are fra from 1:1

Here are some Screen shots of the front and rear dashcams on the Vantrue N5
The Front dashcam in its full resolution is in 4x3 which looks a little odd to me.

Vantrue N5 Screen shot facing directly into the arvo sun.png

The sun is directly pointing into the camera and I think it is coping very well as you can see clearly the no standing sign on the right and the picketed type of fence in the distance with reasonable contrast and clarity.
The rear camera photo is a little affected by the reflections from my parcel shelf and the demister wires. This seems to happen to any rear dashcam I have placed on this window and that's even after I have cleaned it.:)

Vantrue N5 Screen shot rear facing camrera.png

Last edited:
What's stopping you from changing the resolution to 2560x1440?
Fair question.
Nothing stopping me but it offers that resolution so I gave it a go.
It allows for comparison to the other res.

It introduces a lot of sky with that format which to me seems odd. Perhaps that's the sensor native resolution ?

I thought the detail may have been better but I think it's very similar to 2560x1440

I prefer the 16x9 letter box view.

I have finally created and rendered a video of night driving with passengers focusing on how much light and image quality the Vanture Nexus 5 delivers when in complete darkness with four passengers.

The cabin looks like the interior light is on but I can promise that the only light if from the occasional street lamp and the Vantrue's Infrared LEDs.

The front facing in camera does a good job with contrast and focus but the rear facing in camera not as good.
I'm wondering if the front IR LEDs are creating some type of exposure problems as two of the front LEDs point directly at the rear dashcam.

Look forward to the forums opinion.
Cheers

It is interesting to see your "white" shirt suddenly turn plaid when you pass a street light. All in all the cameras are very effective.

Somewhere on this forum someone complained that the N5 doesn't warn you when it is missing a sdcard so i thought I'd check.

Here's a video to demonstrate what happens.

Vantrue Nexus 5 N5 Dashcam missing Memory sd card sound

Yep that's also what i get, and i have seen that a few times, CUZ just about every time i pull a card to put a new one in, well i forget the new one when i get back to the car later or the day after.

Back