Night time recording dashcam suggestions

DocHudson

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello folks,

Looking for a dashcam for nighttime driving. Due to my work schedule, half of my commute will be at late night. I am looking for a discreet dashcam (1 or 2 channels).

I checked the best dashcams of 2022 and other posts, and tbh, quite confused.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Viofo A119 V3 for a single channel.
For multiple channels, any current multi-channel Viofo other than the A129 Duo and A129 Pro.

Which part of USA are you in? (Is high temperature an issue?)

Thank you.

I am in NYC. The heat is usually not a problem, except for a couple of months (but nowhere near TX or AZ heat).

I have been looking at Viofo A119 V3. Even if it's an older camera, it seems to have a better picture quality than the newer A129 versions. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I would also like to have a rear dashcam. Any preference for that one?

Thank you in advance.

If you are considering the A119 V3, don't miss the A119 Mini, which adds Wifi and optional Bluetooth Remote, pretty much the same image quality.

The A119 V3, and Mini have a narrower field of view than the others, so plates are a little clearer, plus they have a little extra bitrate per channel, so yes the picture quality is a little better.

The others have wider field of view, which means more chance of things being visible instead of off the side of the image. Personally I prefer the wider field of view to catch more at the sides.

If you are going for a dual channel, the A229 is currently a good choice although a little new, or if you want to keep the price down and don't mind slightly older technology then the A129 Plus.

I would also like to have a rear dashcam. Any preference for that one?
If you are going for two singles, depends on if you are trying to keep cost down, but 2x A119 V3 or Mini will give excellent night quality front and back, and beat any dual dashcam. Rear quality is not as important as the front, so most dual cameras have a lot less bitrate for the rear, typically you only need to show that someone hit you, although if you live somewhere without front plates then you may want excellent rear quality too.

Thank you. I got only one A119 V3 at the moment. I will use it for some time and if I like it, will get another one.

Back