NovaTrakt: Extract GPS data from your Viofo A119 [Windows]

before you downgraded did you notice the FW 2.01 clips had lower than usual audio volume?
Yes, definitely I noticed the audio level was sensibly lower with FW 2.01. Downgraded to 2.00 I am more than happy with functionality and reliability, plus audio is much better now.

check with a hex editor and compare with a v2.0 sample binary file, in order to locate these GPS data bits

it's possible that firmware 2.01 has a bug related to GPS data which prevents to insert these data in the MP4 file, especially if you notice too much zero bits sequences with a hex editor

I downgraded to 2.0. GPS tracking on a map is fun. Probably won't ever use it LOL.

it's possible that firmware 2.01 has a bug related to GPS data which prevents to insert these data in the MP4 file, especially if you notice too much zero bits sequences with a hex editor

I'm starting to suspect this. I've only heard of a few cameras with 2.01 on at the moment and VIOFO has not officially even acknowledged it at present.

As it stands, it is my recommendation to downgrade from v2.01 to v2.0 firmware.

@RobTrehy thanks a lot for this exe

i encounter an issue with it

When i tried to batch extract the gps data from a folder which contain 10 videos, i realized the gpx file size increases gradually. Say 1st file is 30kb, 2nd is 60 kb, 3rd is 90kb and so forth, in the end 10th file would be the biggest, nearly 300kb. Trying to view the 10th file on RV, the video plays but GPS data not available

Then i extract the GPS data just 1 file at a time, and the gpx file of the 10th file is around 30kb only, and the gps data is shown when playing with RV

i'm on firmware v2.0

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know. I am aware of this issue, and it is fixed for the next release.

Rob

Version 2.2 - Release: 17/02/2017
- General bug fixes
- Bug fixes for alternate regional settings
- Fixed bug that caused GPX files to contain the previous videos GPS data too
- Improved logging
- Logic improved to speed up processing

Please note: NovaTrakt is currently only compatible with VIOFO A119's with Firmware v2.0.
Firmware versions v1.* and v2.01 are NOT supported.
I don't understand why to support an older firmware, also this is a free program. If more work is needed is better to support A119S camera instead old versions of firmwares.

The NovaTrakt window is a little strange on my PC maybe because I have big fonts used. Not big deal, because I can work with it.

Novatrakt-window.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

I don't understand why to support an older firmware, also this is a free program. If more work is needed is better to support A119S camera instead old versions of firmwares.

The NovaTrakt window is a little strange on my PC maybe because I have big fonts used. Not big deal, because I can work with it.

View attachment 29258

enjoy,
Mtz

FW 2.01 seems to have a bug where the GPS Data is not correctly saved...

My post was about v1.1 firmware which is an old firmware. It is OK to not support a newer firmware if it have a bug.

enjoy,
Mtz

My post was about v1.1 firmware which is an old firmware. It is OK to not support a newer firmware if it have a bug.

enjoy,
Mtz

My bad, I did misunderstand your post :)
Cheers

No problem!

enjoy,
Mtz

Some of us don't want to upgrade to the version 2 firmware. Earlier in the thread it was suggested that the author of this software was considering adding support for v1.1 firmware. I am just asking if that is still the case. If not I can delete the software and stop following this thread.

Thanks for great software, it seems it will be filtered by windows defender.
After I disabled the defender, I can download the complete software.

I have sent a PM to you about the donation issue while working on paypal.

Also I have problems with Avast antivirus and I reported it as false positive.

enjoy,
Mtz

Some of us don't want to upgrade to the version 2 firmware. Earlier in the thread it was suggested that the author of this software was considering adding support for v1.1 firmware. I am just asking if that is still the case. If not I can delete the software and stop following this thread.

Hi, I am happy to add support for Firmware 1.1, but as yet, no-one has sent me a sample file to work with!
I suspect it is a simple change, but need to confirm it first!

If you are willing to send me a sample file from a Firmware 1.1 camera, I will happily look. Send it to robert@robtrehy.co.uk

All online links to sample files have been edited prior to upload, so do not contain the GPS data.

-----------------------------------------

Thank you for alerting me about Windows Defender and Avast. Will look to see if I can do anything to prevent this. Strangely, I use Avast on one of my testing PCs and have had no alerts!

Hi, I am happy to add support for Firmware 1.1, but as yet, no-one has sent me a sample file to work with!
I suspect it is a simple change, but need to confirm it first!

If you are willing to send me a sample file from a Firmware 1.1 camera, I will happily look. Send it to robert@robtrehy.co.uk

All online links to sample files have been edited prior to upload, so do not contain the GPS data.
No problem. I will send you a sample file this evening.

I can also send you details of the layout of the GPS data within the file as I have investigated writing my own software to extract it in case you decided not to support it. I think that the data is very similar to the version 2.0 data but with a different offset within the GPS block. I also note that the day of the month is missing/corrupt in the files that I have examined so it may be necessary to extract this from the file name or file creation date.

Paul

If the program will not work fast just to support old firmware versions this means will work slow for maybe 99% for the people because 1% don't want to upgrade. But if the speed is not affected at all I have no problem. Also requests for old firmware should be based on donations. o_O
I like the actual processing speed of the program. If such program is slow people will avoid to use it because they not want to waste their time.

Will be nice if the program can check if correspondent GPX file is already extracted so it can skip to next file. Because video file names are based on date/time it is expected to be unique files, so for a GPX file can not be two videos.

enjoy,
Mtz

If the program can detect the version of the file then there is no reason why it would be significantly slower processing several different versions of the firmware than processing just one version. The version detection is done once at the start of the program and parameters set so that the appropriate version of the file is processed. If more firmware versions become available the process can be repeated to support them without any significant impact on processing time.

I have no idea if 99% of people are using firmware version 2.0 and I suspect that you also have no way of knowing. Lots of users tend to stick with the version supplied on the device if it is not causing them any problems.

I won't be making a donation for a program that doesn't support the version of the firmware that I am using as the program is currently of no use to me. It is entirely up to Rob to decide if he wishes to support the old version or not. He has said in this thread that he is happy to add support for firmware version 1.1 and I am happy to help him with that if I can.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RobTrehy A119 28
S A119 107
Back