NovaTrakt: Extract GPS data from your Viofo A119 [Windows]

I believe it is just a different block offset as you say, for the 1.1. firmware.

I see no reason why adding support for 1.1 would slow down the program in anyway.

There is some bug for A119 V2.0 and V2.01 firmware, it cause the dashcam view can not read the GPS data.
We have fixed this and released V2.02 version.
http://support.viofo.com/solution/articles/19000019600-viofo-a119-car-dash-camera-firmware
I had so many problems with those versions that I went back to the Aug. firmware version. I'm curious, did the bug cause the screen to display "Memory Error"? If so, that's a very misleading message that might make people think that their memory card is bad. Since I went back to the Aug. version, I haven't had any "memory" errors even though I'm still using the same card.

So who's going to take the plunge then, I don't think I'd dare ;)

I had so many problems with those versions that I went back to the Aug. firmware version. I'm curious, did the bug cause the screen to display "Memory Error"? If so, that's a very misleading message that might make people think that their memory card is bad. Since I went back to the Aug. version, I haven't had any "memory" errors even though I'm still using the same card.
What kind of memory card do you use, I suggest you format the card again in the camera, or use the GUIFORMAT tool.

What kind of memory card do you use, I suggest you format the card again in the camera, or use the GUIFORMAT tool.
I have a class 10 memory card and used the recommended format tool. Formatting in the camera does not seem to work because it finishes too quickly to have done a format (less than a second). One time, it lasted a few seconds but it didn't seem to completely format the card. I have followed the instructions for installing each of the firmware versions even though some of the steps for the newer ones seem odd.
I'm curious, did the bug cause the screen to display "Memory Error"?
I would still like to know the answer to this question. How did your reported bug fail?

Normally while there is a memory error, most of the time it means the card is not formatted in FAT32 format.
We suggest you try to format the card using GUIFORMAT, and then use card test tool to check the card status first.

Normally while there is a memory error, most of the time it means the card is not formatted in FAT32 format.
We suggest you try to format the card using GUIFORMAT, and then use card test tool to check the card status first.
As I wrote, I have done that. It's been working without problems for several weeks now. I'm not touching it again unless I have to.

What about when an error isn't due to incorrect formatting? I would really like to know if the display ever shows an error message that doesn't say "Memory Error". Third time that I've asked now.

OK, having updated the firmware to v2.02 I can confirm that this hasn't fixed the issue with v2.01 and GPS data isn't being extracted.

Hi Neil,

That's no good!

My car (with A119 attached) is in the body shop at the moment, so am unable to test this firmware. (Good news is the footage from my camera proved I wasn't at fault so I don't have to pay my excess! :D )

Would you (or anyone) mind sending me a file straight from your camera (do not edit it beforehand as this will remove any GPS data) ?
robert@robtrehy.co.uk
Most people have been able to use GoogleDrive to send the large files.

Rob

I'll be happy to. Just uploading a file now, it'll take a little while as it's over 500Mb.

Excellent work Rob on your A119 GPS Extractor Tool.
Wanted to let you know the current NovaTrakt-v2.2 works perfectly with A119 fw2.0 and A119S fw1.0.1 (I'll test A119S fw1.2 in 12hrs).

verified,
NovaTrakt-v2.2 correctly extracts GPS data from A119S fw1.0.1 (1080P30)but not the newer Feb 22 fw1.2
my guess is VIOFO is using the same GPS data locations for A119 & A119S firmware new releases. Once NovaTrakt is sync'd for A119 fw2.0.2 it should work on A119S fw1.2 (just a theory).
can provide short A119S clips if needed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. That's fantastic to know! Well, the first part!

I've received a sample v2.02 file, but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Thanks to @neilmcl .

I also now have NovaTrakt part working with version 1.1 firmware. The firmware has a issue with the date, so I need to work another way of getting the day of the month before I can release that part. Thanks to @pcaouolte for the sample file.

Just used NovaTrakt and with the GPX file i have run the video through the DashWare app.
Oh and by the way it works with the A119S v1.0 as well.

That DashWare app looks pretty cool!

Just a small update on progress, the 1.1 firmware is very similar (GPS data wise) to the new 2.02 firmware. I just need to finish making NovaTrakt compatible with 1.1 and then 2.02 will work.

1.1 has an issue with the day of the month being corrupted/incorrect in the GPS data, 2.02 doesn't have this issue, but the data is all stored in the same place.

As I didn't want to delay compatibility with firmware version 2.02...

Version 2.3 - Release: 03/03/2017
- General bug fixes
- Compatible with A119 new version 2.02 firmware
- Compatible with A119 version 1.1 firmware

PLEASE NOTE: Using with version 1.1. firmware in this version will pull the day of the month from the file name. To use NovaTrakt successfully, please only use the original filenames.
This method was chosen as to not delay the release of version 2.3, so that users with 2.02 firmware can use NovaTrakt.

It has been brought to my attention that NovaTrakt is compatible with VIOFO A119S running version 1.0.1 firmware, and suspect NovaTrakt 2.3 is compatible with A119S running version 1.2 firmware.
I do not currently own an A119S so am unable to test this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RobTrehy A119 28
S A119 107
Back