Now Testing Samsung EVO 512GB Cards on Street Guardian products (First up, SG9663DC PRO)

For the rear IMX 323 IMO are a just fine camera, the performance difference between it and the IMX 291 you pretty much mainly see at night.
And at night if you drive away from ambient light all you see behind you are 2 glowing orbs if there is a car back there, with ambient light in a town you will see a bit more with the IMX 291, but that bit more you will see are probably all under the influence of motion blur anyway, but viewing that live the human eye will tell your brain " OMG i see so much more" but pausing the footage and going frame by frame you will see that the more you see will be hard to use for anything with little details in it, i will even venture and say medium details in it.

That's pretty much the feeling that I got watching various videos comparing these two plus IMX 322, which seems just a tit bid sharper on IR than the IMX323 that came to replace it. Bur regardless, I've been researching car cams for a month now, and aside from various rear mirror dash cam combinations, which seem to wash out in the sunlight and tire the eyes, I couldn't find another model that would offer a rear external wateproof camera. I looked at the option of putting an internal rear inside the Mustang but I would have to glue some sort of a mount in the middle of the back of the rear seat closer to it's front rather than its back because when the top folds down, it touches the back of the rear seat. I like fiddling around with things, it just doesn't seem to worse it. I'd rather spend the energy putting in a downward looking passenger side cam and a front cam to avoid hitting the curbs. I found a bunch of companies which sell various harnesses.
The only thing that bothers me a bit, is that I am buying a premium system that has been around for three years, probably right before the next format is going to be launched.

SG do have new stuff in the pipeline as i understand it, but from a image quality perspective you can be assured that the new models will not in any way blow the old models out of the water.

The most anticipated new camera are probably the DR model, where both the cameras are on a wire ( Dual Remote ) and then you can stash the main unit where you please
But the DR are pretty much the same electronics and sensors as the SG9663DCPRO as i understand it.
price wise also the same as i understand it.

If you get exited when you see the new models, you can do 2 birds in one strike, and get a new model ( probably with a little discount for returning customer ) and enjoy donating the "old" system to a person you care about.
Okay it is a bit expensive, but no one ever said showing your appreciation of someone was a all free deal, sometimes it cost a little money, some times it cost a little hard work and sweat.
Personally i prefer donating VS selling, making someone happy do more for me than a little change going jing-a-ling-a-ling in my pocket.

As usual there are no monumental improvements in dashcams, it have been baby steps for the past 10 years, and i recon it will keep that up for the foreseeable future.

IMO the next big thing are 4K, and SG work on that too, though i dont think that's in the new batch of cameras

Last edited:
Ended up buying it with a hardware kit.
I hope this is going to be "install and forget" kind of a deal. I now understand that this device can be set up for parking monitoring for a certain time period, let's say 9 hours, after which it stops drawing current from the battery. Which should satisfy my needs of not draining the battery if a car is not driven 5 days in a row, yet, enable occasional parking monitoring if I drive to work once in a blue moon. I typed it and realized that I am still thinking from before Covid-19 perspective. I used to take public transportation to work, which why with an exception of an occasional midweek grocery ride, I mostly used the car on weekends.
I also belief that this device, unlike less expensive cams from other manufactures, doesn't require that a card be reformatted from time to time, right guys?

I also belief that this device, unlike less expensive cams from other manufactures, doesn't require that a card be reformatted from time to time, right guys?
it's not a requirement, there are cameras out there that trip up without very regular formatting, that said though formatting the card occasionally is still good practice to make sure the card is healthy, that goes for any camera

...I also belief that this device, unlike less expensive cams from other manufactures, doesn't require that a card be reformatted from time to time, right guys?
Anecdotal experience on my part but the only time I reformat cards in any of my cameras (dash cams, dSLRs, P&S, etc.) is when installing new firmware.

I've only experienced one card related issue and that was a micro SD card that was writing at only 1/10th it's rated speed and it came that way when purchased. Doing a low level format corrected that issue.

I've got SD cards in my dSLRs that haven't been formatted in 10 years. (I love living 'on the edge'. :woot: )

So much for Street Guardian great reputation. I took Monday off work in order to set up this thing. They sent me package with internal, instead of external rear camera. The included receipt says waterproof. And I am sure it's not a mistake as I just checked their site and their removed the waterproof camera from their website both as a part of the package and and as a stand alone offering. Now I to return the whole garbage set and look for another vendor on top of having wasted a vacation day.

Last edited:
So much for Street Guardian great reputation. I took Monday off work in order to set up this thing. They sent me package with internal, instead of external real camera. The included receipt says waterproof. And I am sure it's not a mistake as I just checked their site and their removed the waterproof camera from their website both as a part of the package and and as a stand alone offering. Now I to return the whole garbage set and look for another vendor on top of having wasted a vacation day.
would have been a shipping error if anything, if it's not on the site that would be because it's out of stock

would have been a shipping error if anything, if it's not on the site that would be because it's out of stock
Bull****. It was on the website when I ordered it a couple of days ago. They sent me a standard combination and removed the waterproof mode from their site. Over the span of 3 days. That could not be a coincidence.

Bull****. It was on the website when I ordered it a couple of days ago. They sent me a standard combination and removed it from their site. That could not be a coincidence.
the office has moved from Nevada to Florida this week, sorry if things went wrong, it's never the intention as I'm sure you'd appreciate, the site will take it offline once it's out of stock, if they are not showing up it just means they've sold through, they have more coming next week, I know that doesn't help you with your scheduled day off but that's just an unfortunate outcome due to an error, human error quite possibly, @Street Guardian USA will be able to look into it and find out what happened

@cameo
Apologies for the miss-ship. We just moved the USA office from Nevada to Florida. It was very stressful and quite the long journey but things are getting back to normal slowly here in South Florida.

We actually just created the new DCPRO+Water Proof camera bundle listing you ordered a couple of weeks ago. After I finally got the label printer working correctly, I rushed out a bunch of regular DCPRO shipments in the last several days and somehow must have thought yours was another regular default DCPRO. (the font is too small on the 4" x 6" packing slips) I just responded to your email and will coordinate sending you the rear camera asap. Again, very sorry I messed up your planned install. We take customer support very seriously and I rarely make mistakes here.

You guys are showing a lot of effort to fix an error which would speak well for any company. Frankly, Street Guardian USA, if you actually run the business, in addition to being voice of the company on the forum, I hope that you make upwards of 250K. Otherwise you could just develop software with a lot less stress. You probably want to send email to Amazon, because, just like a week ago, it still shows availability for 5 waterproof combo units. Ordering on Amazon with their credit card, one gets some money back towards future purchases. I ordered from the Street Guardian web site, because I talked to both of you here. Also, the listing on Amazon for a wateproof package makes it look like a power adapter is not part of a package.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07VWRSR44

Thanks for the direct order, yes Amazon takes 11% cut of every Amazon order. I've added a temp 10-day handling time for the Amazon listing since we're now currently out of stock after the last few recent sales. Rick is sending more to the USA office via DHL Express from the Sydney HQ warehouse. (3-4 business days). Covid-19 slowed business awhile but things are just now picking up again it seems.

You guys are showing a lot of effort to fix an error which would speak well for any company.
mistake was on our side, of course we'll do everything we can to fix that, sorry about the inconvenience caused

You guys are showing a lot of effort to fix an error which would speak well for any company.
you wont find better customer service anywhere in the world for any other dashcam, or fix up of mistakes as fast either, we are only human, we all make mistakes once in a while. some places take for ever to fix their mistakes, like months, street guardian are measured in hours if that. plus support is measured in minutes unlike some other places, weeks if at all.

the site will take it offline once it's out of stock, if they are not showing up it just means they've sold through
This is not the right thread for any of this, but I would suggest you change the shopping site settings to not hide the page but rather change the status to out of stock (or back order if you accept those). Adding expected time of re-stock would be a nice bonus as well.

I suggest that only because it’s confusing when items sometimes appear and sometimes seem to not exist at all, and it wreaks havoc with SEO and generally search engine results.

you must be able to find a thing before you can buy or pre-order it.

This is not the right thread for any of this, but I would suggest you change the shopping site settings to not hide the page but rather change the status to out of stock (or back order if you accept those). Adding expected time of re-stock would be a nice bonus as well.

I suggest that only because it’s confusing when items sometimes appear and sometimes seem to not exist at all, and it wreaks havoc with SEO and generally search engine results.
it should just show it is out of stock, by offline I meant not available for sale, the product pages don't disappear, we don't do backorders and ETA's are hard to predict at the moment as freight delays are still happening due to the virus situation

it should just show it is out of stock, by offline I meant not available for sale, the product pages don't disappear, we don't do backorders and ETA's are hard to predict at the moment as freight delays are still happening due to the virus situation
yeah and it still takes express post 3 days to get from victoria to cairns instead of 2.

Back