NVR needed

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Well true to mu usioal lack of luck my DVR at home have quit working this night, so though i can not afford it i have desided to upgrade from a non working DVR with 3 cameras to a working 4 channel NVR with 1 camera.

I need it to support 1080p / 25-30 FPS on all 4 channels.
Would like it to support POE too
And as said above i would like it to be cheap too.
For starters i will make do with one 3 Mpix bord camera and the lens i allready have, so that i can get some coverage on my car in the yard again.

I will start looking for a NVR tomorrow when i have resolved how little mony i have in my piggy bank, but in the mean time if any of you have any experience with NVR or have been chekking out the marked lately, feel free to drop me a link or 2.

Well i have found some stuff myself, and it can more or less be financed by the content of my piggy bank :)

But it seem like there is a little knowlege for me to pick up in this area, so i have desided to act calm and do a little more research before i press the buy buttons.

And i have desided to give my old analog gear to my friend, that should please him, not least my PTZ camera witch he have talked a lot about.
And it give me a 1 up on the karma account, and a good feeling beeing able to help some one :cool:

What sort of thing did you go for mate?

I've got a little HP Microserver I'll be using with various PoE cams connected via a Nortel switch when we get the house - it will be my first proper test with this sort of thing!

Kamkar, I believe I have the solution you are looking for. I have had my eye on one of these for awhile now and am considering purchasing one to add to my CCTV set-up as a way of eventually migrating from analogue to HD digital. Actually, I wasn't going to mention this device until I could try it out for myself and decide if it is worth recommending but since you posted this thread I figure you would want to know about it. It is a tiny full featured dual stream NVR (available with 4 or 8 channels 108op) measuring only 88mm x 88mm x 32mm. They seem to be getting good reviews from people who own them and they cost only about 40-50 USD depending on where you buy (check eBay). Banggood sells them for $42.55 US delivered. It requires a separate external hard drive (or network) for storage. These NVRs can accept WiFi and 3G connections and have a host of other features. Of course, you'll need a monitor but the device has both VGA and HDMI ports. It is menu driven via mouse input. I'm not sure if it can do PoE but an inexpensive power injector would solve that problem. All in all it seems like a lot for the money in a tiny package.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the word on the street is that this NVR works best with ONIF protocol cameras.

One of the intriguing things that occurs to me about this NVR is that it is so small and inexpensive that it could conceivably be a perfect DIY answer to the four camera dash cam holy grail. The fly in the ointment is that with the exception of board cameras there are no other suitable cameras available at this time that would work well as dash cams. Decent 108op board cameras are still very pricey which could make such a scheme impractical even if the NVR is a bargain but if I buy one of these I will probably invest in at least one board camera and see how well it works. There are even some Exmor board cameras on the market but as I say, they are expensive.

NVR1.png

NVR2.png

NVR spec.png

Here is an example of a typical board camera that might be used with the NVR as a dash cam. This one is 1080p.

boardcam.png

Last edited:
Yeah i too have been looking at that little box, but i have found something a little larger in the UK with built in PSU and room for internal HDD, and 3 years warrenty + it support up to 5mpix cameras.
Okay that one is more expensive than those little boxes, but its no customs from UK, and 3 year warrenty sound good ( here in Denmark we only have 2 years on things )

There is some videos with that little box on youtube, maybe not that exact brand name, but still the same i belive.

Dident know Mpix could be a issue, and it might not be if its only used with the 1080p format and not full sensor use for a lower number of FPS.

Worst part ATM is finding a camera with no IR of its own ( i allready have IR source ) and i plan to install camera inside my window as outside might piss some ppl off, and it might not be lagal acording to Danish law. ( i live a stone trow from ppl of questionable moral attitude who ride Harly Davidson bikes, and comming where i come from i am fully aware of what go on in and around that adress )
Anyway if i cant find a cam with no IR light, i do have the skills to disable what is there :p

I am assuming a 10-12 mm lens will frame my car in the yard good on the 15 - 20 M distance to it.

Anyway i am not done looking for either NVR or camera yet ;) i think i will do some more looking and calculating and then push add to cart next sunday ( not tomorrow )

The bord camera i have been looking a is from Germany and use the aptina AR0331 sensor + TI DaVinci DM368 DSP, but sadly it dont support POE, but then again i can live with that as there is plenty of wall sockets in my kitchen.

Last edited:
Going to visit my old mother tomorrow, so i have been shopping today :)

Got this NVR http://adata.co.uk/nvr-4poe-1tb.html
Like its not that big, and it have 4 individual POE ports for cameras, and i have a 1 Tb disk to trow in it, so all i need to buy is 25 M network cable.

And i got a Sony IMX222 based bullet camera with a 2.5 - 12 mm zoom lens, witch i assume is enuff to frame my car where it is parked.

While looking into this i allso found some interesting PTZ cameras, but though they where cheap it is still outside my financial range these days.
But a cam to swing around and having 20 X zoom do sound good in my paronoid ears :D

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Off Topic 5
Slicer Off Topic 6
NewBrand Off Topic 16
Back