Ok so I fixed the power loop issue

Still working well.

Just a quick question, how do I update the firmware? I copied the file over to the mem card and used the small Viofo cable on PC , to no avail.

Also Capture your action was kind enough to send me some 3m foam pads, where do I stick then to?
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Small cable with the PC will induce Mass Storage mode, try a wall charger or power bank.

Stick the foam pad to the camera, it's for a tighter fit with the mount. Orientation of the pad can be judged by looking at the laser cut piece in the centre.

Small cable with the PC will induce Mass Storage mode, try a wall charger or power bank.

Stick the foam pad to the camera, it's for a tighter fit with the mount. Orientation of the pad can be judged by looking at the laser cut piece in the centre.
Thanks. Can I use a Samsung phone charger?

Still working well.

Just a quick question, how do I update the firmware? I copied the file over to the mem card and used the small Viofo cable on PC , to no avail.

Also Capture your action was kind enough to send me some 3m foam pads, where do I stick then to?

Still working well.

Wow, thank you .

Wow, thank you .

I actually have a little diagram of where to stick the pad that I send with all the A119/A119S cameras and meant to send it along in your package but forgot. Sorry about that.

Wow, thank you .

I actually have a little diagram of where to stick the pad that I send with all the A119/A119S cameras and meant to send it along in your package but forgot. Sorry about that.
No worries, that video was very well done in explaining how to apply it.

Poor USB cable causes this:

You should include "Poor USB cable causes this" in the video's title as well.
So in essence both types of monoprice cables I'd bought didn't work. Bearing in mind, I had bought one type months back and a second type more recently per this thread. None worked except for the OEM Viofo one.

22 AWG - This answers a question in my mind as neither my A119 or A119S cables were marked. This is why the Viofo A119/A119S long cables are superior to many of the long USB cables used to provide power.

It is essential that when using long USB cables to power dashcams that you take into account the resistance of the cable, which is directly related to the cables gauge.
Most good quality cables use 28awg conductors which have a resistance of 200mOHMS per metre.

For very long cables, 5mts or longer, 22awg is preferred, at 50 mOHMS per metre. This would give a volt drop along the cable 4 times lower than 28awg.
I have yet to source a USB cable of even 3 metres length, in the UK, with greater then 26awg wires used.

Also note that when calculating the volt drop you need to use twice the length of the cable in any calculation.

22 AWG - This answers a question in my mind as neither my A119 or A119S cables were marked. This is why the Viofo A119/A119S long cables are superior to many of the long USB cables used to provide power.

It is essential that when using long USB cables to power dashcams that you take into account the resistance of the cable, which is directly related to the cables gauge.
Most good quality cables use 28awg conductors which have a resistance of 200mOHMS per metre.

For very long cables, 5mts or longer, 22awg is preferred, at 50 mOHMS per metre. This would give a volt drop along the cable 4 times lower than 28awg.
I have yet to source a USB cable of even 3 metres length, in the UK, with greater then 26awg wires used.

Also note that when calculating the volt drop you need to use twice the length of the cable in any calculation.
Incidentally, both the monoprice USB cables work fine on the A119 but not A119S as discussed earlier.

Poor USB cable causes this:
What I see in such video is usually a bad power supply, not enough Ampers, not a problem with the camera.
Before complaining the cables you should use the original charger.

enjoy,
Mtz

What I see in such video is usually a bad power supply, not enough Ampers, not a problem with the camera.
Before complaining the cables you should use the original charger.

two common misconceptions, all cables/power supplies that look the same are the same, and a memory card is a memory card, coincidentally also the two most likely culprits with any dashcam problem, power or memory

I have a Viofo A119s waiting to be fitted in the rear window. When i first looked at the cable i could see no ,markings on it, but looking more closely, with a magnifying glass, it is indeed marked as follows.

AWM 2464 22AWG .

It is 4metres long.

As jokiin, says above, all power supplies that look the same probably aren't the same.

This is very true, and i have advocated in previous posts, the use of modular 5V supplies.
I should point out that all of these supplies that i have used have unloaded outputs within 50mV of the stated voltage.
The problem you may encounter when using these for dashcam applications is that the volt drop across long high resistance cables may reduce the voltage at the camera terminals below a viable level.

As an example, the unloaded voltage measured at the output of the Viofo cigarette lighter power supply was 5.19V, and at the output of the Cell Power hardwired supply was 5.32V. These supplies will sustain a much higher voltage drop in the cables.

Back