Only just over the limit.....

Legally, Police can exceed the speed limit, where not to would "frustrate the purpose for which the vehicle is being used". A very wide definition, however in recent years, there is much more internal verifications of the rationale for exceeding speed.

Police Officers in UK have no separate driving licence and any prosecutions for driving offences after collisions and camera investigations go on an individual's driving licence.

"Speeding" by Police had always been an emotive subject, but as someone else posted you don't know what they are going to...... This doesn't make it always right, but must be used in context!

TnF

In 1974 the Nation Maximum Speed Limit (NMSL) in the US was dropped to 55mph. It was mostly ignored, but that summer my family was making a long trip and as soon as we crossed into Illinois a state trooper pulled into the passing lane and stayed there until we go to the next state line, where he made a U-turn and I assume he dared another group of drivers to pass him. I remember wishing someone would sacrifice himself for the group and pass him, allowing the rest of us to continue on our way at a more reasonable speed.

...Driving under the speed limit is legal and can really upset a cop legally.

True to an extent, but if you don't have a legitimate reason for doing so you can get ticketed for impeding traffic .

What do I do when it seems that everyone else is exceeding the speed limit?
Always drive at or below the speed limit. If you choose to follow the crowd and travel at the same speed as everyone else, you could receive a ticket for speeding. The law does not make exceptions because everyone else is speeding too. You just might be the unlucky one in the one pack who happens to get caught – or the one who has to take an evasive action to prevent a crash.
7afa00cf796099c3556f71c62cd698c9.jpg

Source: http://www.safeny.ny.gov/spee-ndx.htm

If you choose to follow the crowd and travel at the same speed as everyone else, you could receive a ticket for speeding. The law does not make exceptions because everyone else is speeding too...

Years ago I got a speeding ticket under those exact circumstances (I-77 in Bland County, Virginia if anyone is interested) and this was the conversation:

Me: But officer, everyone else was going the same speed as me.
Officer: Sir, do you ever go fishing?
Me: Yes.
Officer: Do you catch all the fish?

There is no ratting on the bad ones between them and the good ones in turning this blind eye allow a few to drag their entire public image down...
In some police departments, it's even worse than just turning a blind eye: if you stop a bad cop, you could be fired and lose your pension. Or officers that blatantly lie won't face any punishment for it-- a different set of laws applies to officers of the law.

Some links:
http://pennrecord.com/news/12308-do...dept-sued-for-wrongful-arrest-excessive-force
http://wivb.com/2014/07/08/fired-police-officer-trying-to-get-pension/

Where I live, we still have front-page news about a murder-by-police that occurred at the airport in 2007...

A foreigner (did not speak english) was behaving strangely. Cops multiple-tasered him, dogpiled on him, didn't provide medical assistance, and he died. Cops said he was attacking them. End of story, right? Nope! Some guy was videotaping the strange behaviour, and caught the incident on his camera. After it became clear that the cops weren't going to be held responsible for anything, he sued to get his video back from the police, and released it to the media. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dziekański_Taser_incident

Many years and official inquiries later, we're perhaps going to get a conviction for perjury by at least one of the cops... http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...d-at-kwesi-millington-perjury-trial-1.2964744

Here's the video of the Dziekanski incident at the airport. Police action starts around 6:30. The police only interacted with him for a few seconds before his first tasering.

In some police departments, it's even worse than just turning a blind eye: if you stop a bad cop, you could be fired and lose your pension. Or officers that blatantly lie won't face any punishment for it-- a different set of laws applies to officers of the law..[/QUOTE]

A bully , a liar, a thief be they in the police or not - they are tw.ts and the lowest scourge of society and deserve no respect from anyone and should be punished far more severely having sworn an oath than a normal member of the public in my book...

I know "if you go in the zoo you become one of the animals" and I would have thought the majority of honest cops wouldn't want to be in the zoo but hey hoe turning a blind eye seems like a type of approval to me so maybe they are all just tw.ts and I certainly wouldn't want to be around the type of negativity they collectively exhume..

Dziekanski was legal immigrant, first time landing in Vancouver, Canada to unite with his Mother who sponsored him. Very sad.

Years ago I got a speeding ticket under those exact circumstances (I-77 in Bland County, Virginia if anyone is interested) and this was the conversation:

Me: But officer, everyone else was going the same speed as me.
Officer: Sir, do you ever go fishing?
Me: Yes.
Officer: Do you catch all the fish?
Friend of mine got a ticket that way one time, but when she asked the officer who pulled her over his reply was: "Everyone speeds and I can not catch all of them so every morning I pick a different color and pull those color cars over, today was red car day and you have a red car."

I have a real problem with these two videos of policeman speeding (a little) because of a situation that happened to me a few years back:

I had my cruise set to 75mph on a dual carriageway (70mph limit) so was probably doing around 72-73 mph. It was a fine, sunny day when marked police car overtook me and pulled in front. I did not change my speed as he caught or passed me, I figured if he was gonna object to my speed he would have looked across, waved his finger, acknowledged me or something. Then over the next few miles he slowed down a bit so I was doing just over 70mph on my speedo. This speed continued for about 20-30 mins, and the traffic built up behind (how did they ever catch up without speeding I wonder ;)). Anyway, the situation seemed ridiculous with all the traffic backing up, and because the policeman wasn't displaying his blues I assumed he wasn't backing us up for a reason. So, thinking it would be 'safe' to pass him, I did so between 75-80 mph on my speedo (~75mph real speed). I reckoned this was acceptable because it would have been similar to the speed at which he passed me earlier...........well, the moment I pulled in front his car lit up blue & he pulled me over at the next layby. Boy he was mad :mad:. He went loopy, accused me of dangerous driving & being a thief :confused:, he said stealing speed was the same as stealing goodies from a sweetshop :eek:. I must have looked so confused, I was gobsmacked, I don't think I muttered a word the whole time he lectured me, though I couldn't have got a word in anyway!

He clearly forgot he was speeding when he overtake me, & obviously didn't consider how all the other cars had caught up behind us.

Anyway, he had his rant but he didn't give me a ticket. In hindsight I think he was soooooo angry because I'd passed him, and passed him at a speed at which I think he couldn't 'book' me for, but he needed to say something. Oh, I wish I had a dash cam then........

Anyway, in the first video I've posted I thought the driver of the BMW X5 was particularly annoying/intimidating, he followed so closely behind the car in front clearly desperate to get by, and then he forgot to indicate to show his intentions :rolleyes:. These guys should be setting an example IMHO. The limit was 50mph btw, and he overtook in a 'Speed Check Area' - see the sign out at 55secs. He probably only just went above the legal limit, but it's the principle for me after my incident above. The funny thing about this video is we caught up with the X5 at a junction a few miles down the road :p

In the second video, I was travelling bang on the speed limit of 70mph when the biker overtook.

Ps I haven't sorted the problem of my speed stamp displaying kph instead of mph!
Well now when I first passed my test I overtook a marked car on a 30mph road doing 31MPH now this was slightly different i would have actually been going less then 30MPH because it was before smart phones. just... My speedo was just hovering on the 30 and the bus in front of the police car indicated to pull into the bus stop on the dual carriageway. it was clear for me to pull out so i did and then overtook the bus and the police car very and I men very slowly until the bus braked the traffic cop pulled out and switched his blues on instantly. he said how fast do you think you were going. so I replied about 30 maybe 31 MPH he was so cross because he hadn't been able to pull out because i had creeped along side him.

he said and what if i took you to court. so I said my speedo is 10% out as all domestic cars are. He looked at me and said so your admitting your speedo doesn't work. I said Yes ... he said you know thats a criminal offence to which I replied you know that sticker on your speedo that says calibration number. so you know why the speedo in the traffic car is Calibrated. he said of course I said do you know that all cars have around a 10% lower speed on the speedo thus all drivers are driving with out a fully calibrated speedo. he let me off after all my dad was the one who calibrated his speedo.... I also had a van pull me over saying I was speeding. They said you know we know you were speeding because our speedo is accurate. I said is it calibrated. that is most unusual. most vans have a standard speedo. have you got a calibration certificate for the speedo and the calibration number... they let me go.... after they searched the car to make sure it was a standard 1.6... I love the police wanted to be one but need to correct them sometimes.

You get mad, you vent here.
You make a cop mad, you pay. ;)

I've passed a lot of cops over the years but never over 5mph on speedometer.
Few times, I looked at the cop while passing and got nods while most don't look at you and avoid eye contact, at least not when you look at them.
I don't stare but glance at cops always and sometimes we both are doing the same thing. :D

You get mad, you vent here.
You make a cop mad, you pay. ;)

I've passed a lot of cops over the years but never over 5mph on speedometer.
Few times, I looked at the cop while passing and got nods while most don't look at you and avoid eye contact, at least not when you look at them.
I don't stare but glance at cops always and sometimes we both are doing the same thing. :D
State troopers here like to camp out in the left (fast/passing) lane and go exactly 55mph (in a 65 or 70 zone!) They do this because they're running laser against oncoming traffic. Yet even though they're obviously going well below the limit, sheeple refuse to pass them. Once in this situation, I sort of pushed and shoved my way to the front of the line, came up next to the cop, waved to him (he smiled and waved back) then punched it up to the 70mph limit and then leveled off and set cruise at 70. Surprise! The cop did not go after the fire-engine-red sports coupe i was driving, and suddenly everyone else realized it's OK to pass a cop when he's going under the limit! o_O:rolleyes::mad:

Note that in the US, "undertaking" is another word for a grave digger or funeral home employee, and doesn't really have any meaning on the road.

I dislike the "Do as I say, not as a I do." Cops. We have many of those here.

Note that in the US, "undertaking" is another word for a grave digger or funeral home employee, and doesn't really have any meaning on the road.
I think everyone around here have seen or heard about the Undertaker, be it in movies or wrestling. ;)

Why don't people simply use the word "passing", and then add right, left or center (yes, one can also pass cars through the center)? Over or under seems more appropriate for vertical dimensions, not horizontal.
But that's just me discoursing about a language that's not my native one. :)

I think everyone around here have seen or heard about the Undertaker, be it in movies or wrestling. ;)

Why don't people simply use the word "passing", and then add right, left or center (yes, one can also pass cars through the center)? Over or under seems more appropriate for vertical dimensions, not horizontal.
You would get along fine in the US :)

yeah really... it's 2015 - where's my hover conversion? then OVER-taking really could mean going OVER someone!
m5-hover-conversion1.jpg

Marty: "Nooo, Doc!!! Are you saying the De Lorean turns into a BMW in 2015???"

:D

Marty: "Nooo, Doc!!! Are you saying the De Lorean turns into a BMW in 2015???"

:D
Having worked on and driven a bunch of deloreans, i'll take any modern bimmer over those slow turds.

Just ignore the jackstands and here's your hover conversion (sans stainless body panels plus doors)

click for more photos through the DMC Humble, TX shop. :)

Back