Overwhelmed, best video picture for <$100?

kevin24018

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've scoured this site and others. There's always new cameras coming out, ugh!!
the video quality seems to boil down to processor, sensor (cmos) and firmware. I don't see a way of "shopping" based on those things since there seems to be some different combinations of them. There doesn't seem to be a lot of lists or comparisons. The ones I found were rather short and didn't include some (not possible to include all)
I'm not sure how old the article is but according to it.
Ambarella A12 + OmniVision Ov4689 is the best followed by
Novatek NT96660 + Ov4689
Making the best informed decision is proving rather difficult.

while I'd like to stay under $100 if there's one a little more expensive, but considerably better that would be a consideration. Best bang for your buck is mostly opinion, I get it.

Not many using Ambarella these days. For the Novatek + OV4689 take a look at the Viofo A119, a bit under budget but one of the best in that price range and the next level up with the A129 is well over budget, not many good cameras between the two at the moment.

I pulled up the A119 and found some of the listings say 1080p while others for the same model it seems list it as 1440p
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01IEQU9WKis that legit or a knock off? also the filter, worth it or no?
Not many using Ambarella these days. For the Novatek + OV4689 take a look at the Viofo A119, a bit under budget but one of the best in that price range and the next level up with the A129 is well over budget, not many good cameras between the two at the moment.

The A119 can do 1440p@30fps. The A119S does 1080p@60fps. These are max resolutions.

The A119S is 1080, without the S it is 1440. The S version is better at night, the non-S better in sunlight.

The filter is normally worth while, but it does depend on the vehicle. If you have a vertical windshield then don't bother with it.

That listing looks legit to me, but you could also look for one from CYA who posted above ;)

I pulled up the A119 and found some of the listings say 1080p while others for the same model it seems list it as 1440p
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01IEQU9WKis that legit or a knock off? also the filter, worth it or no?

That one's real- sold by Viofo who makes them. You don't always need a CPL filter but they can lessen dash reflections, albeit at the cost of some brightness at night. Only trying can tell whether you need it or not.

Phil

The A119S is 1080, without the S it is 1440. The S version is better at night, the non-S better in sunlight.

The filter is normally worth while, but it does depend on the vehicle. If you have a vertical windshield then don't bother with it.

That listing looks legit to me, but you could also look for one from CYA who posted above ;)
would there be much of a difference between 1080 and 1440 on a dash cam? did a little searching and it doesn't seem so, but not 100% on that. Thanks I'll check out CYA

would there be much of a difference between 1080 and 1440 on a dash cam? did a little searching and it doesn't seem so, but not 100% on that. Thanks I'll check out CYA
At night, or in rainy conditions the 1080 is better, in bright sunlight the higher resolution of 1440 does record a bit more information, which doesn't matter much here but in parts of the USA with tiny number plates might be an advantage!

Will the S version do better during daylight than a A119 or the Pro,if it had a CPL?

Will the S version do better during daylight than a A119 or the Pro,if it had a CPL?
The S version will always do better on image quality. The disadvantage of the Non-S or Pro is purely the resolution, and that is only an issue if you need to read a tiny number plate at more than 1 car length distance, but note that the A119 non-S does need good lighting for the higher resolution to pay off, in lower lighting it has more motion blur which cancels out the advantage and makes plates less readable than the S under dark skies, the pro is between the two on motion-blur. If you weren't in the USA then I would always recommend the S version, or better the A129.

I'm not sure the "S" is always better- I think it slightly lesser in daytime, but we're talking about a very small difference. And other things like lens and FOV differences also play a role in what you get so a direct comparison is not quite direct. Then there's modified firmware changing the mix again.

All of the A119/A129 series cams are quite good choices these days; you can't go wrong with any of them. Far better than anything in this price range which was available just a few years ago, they've become something of a standard to compare other cams to. Very popular for good reasons ;)

Phil

Uhm, hi.
The same question as OP.

I'm looking forward to change my ancient Shadow GT550WS to something better.

My choice is Viofo. But I'm struggling between A119 and A129 (both with GPS). I would like to buy cheaper one (119) because 129 is a little bit over my budget.
And my question is - will 119 still be a good choice? In terms of image quality, details, registration plate capturing etc.?

Uhm, hi.
The same question as OP.

I'm looking forward to change my ancient Shadow GT550WS to something better.

My choice is Viofo. But I'm struggling between A119 and A129 (both with GPS). I would like to buy cheaper one (119) because 129 is a little bit over my budget.
And my question is - will 119 still be a good choice? In terms of image quality, details, registration plate capturing etc.?
I suggest you wait a few days to find out about the new VIOFO A119 V3: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a119-v3.39023 , unless you would like wifi or remote control in which case you want the A129.

Wouldn't it be more expensive?
I guess list price will be the same since it is an update to the same product, however you wont find any deals on the new version for a while.

Back