Parking Mode Beta Firmware

Seems like a paperclip reset is my only option.

I have 2 of these kits for 2 cars. The one I have installed powers on fine, sees both cameras, but then immediately shuts down I did go to the beta firmware for a while, but had the reboot loop when the card was getting full (as mentioned, perhaps I forgot to initialise loop mode).

Formatted the card, copying across v1.3 of the firmware and it seems like I have flashed it successfully. Problem is that is still shuts down within seconds of booting (it does actually record for that time). I have swapped out the GPS units, disconnected the rear camera, swapped out the SD cards, to no avail.

Can anyone help with a master reset (formatted card, stable firmware and the associated paperclip procedure)?

Bang for buck, the camera/picture quality is great. Firmware seems like a work in progress. Documentation is poor at best. I don't mind contributing to the documentation and the quality of the product, just need to get to a solid starting point.

Thank you, JZ

Formatted the card, copying across v1.3 of the firmware and it seems like I have flashed it successfully. Problem is that is still shuts down within seconds of booting (it does actually record for that time). I have swapped out the GPS units, disconnected the rear camera, swapped out the SD cards, to no avail.
How does it behave if you use the supplied 12v socket power supply rather than your hardwire kit?

Good question. I swapped yet-to-be installed v1.3 cam into the installation and it is working fine (including the sdcard and GPS unit from the potentially dodgy unit) and it is working fine.

So I have isolated the main cam as the problem.

The only way to power it up and keep it on is to do the following:
  1. Flash with stable firmware (v1.3)
  2. Power it on and immediately turn off recording
  3. To do any sort of configuration, turn on wi-fi and connect with android app. It is responsive to changes
  4. As soon as it goes to screensaver, it shuts down and I need to repeat the whole process again.
At this stage, I would be happy to forego the seamless driving / parking transitioning for the sake of a working cam. So I suppose the question is, how do I blow the firmware away to some sort of safe default.

I appreciate the assistance. Thank you

To answer your specific question. I have now reverted to the defaulted to the supplied power cable powered by a 2.0A USB power supply

Plug the power supply directly into the camera unit rather than the GPS mount. That will help to eliminate either the GPS unit itself or the connection between camera and GPS as potential causes for your problems. Also try with the rear camera unplugged so we can just get the main camera working.

After flashing with a new FW, powering on the camera then stopping recording, can you get into the camera menu?

Hi Tony, The unit is now disconnected from GPS, rear camera, has a freshly formatted sd-card with v1.2 of the firmware. Powering it directly off a computer with supplied short USB cable.

It will power up and then immediately shut down. The SDcard shows a recording that lasts about a second.

Is there a reset sequence involving the reset port / button?

Is there a reset sequence involving the reset port / button?
I don't know of any particular sequence. I've not had to do that with any of my Viofo cameras. I would just poke it with a paperclip if it's not responding.

Hi Tony, The unit is now disconnected from GPS, rear camera, has a freshly formatted sd-card with v1.2 of the firmware. Powering it directly off a computer with supplied short USB cable.

It will power up and then immediately shut down. The SDcard shows a recording that lasts about a second.
Don’t power it via your computers USB ports as they don’t supply enough power. Use a USB wall charger and the short Viofo USB cable. Make sure the wall charger supplies at least 1A.

Reactions: Mtz
Don’t power it via your computers USB ports as they don’t supply enough power. Use a USB wall charger and the short Viofo USB cable. Make sure the wall charger supplies at least 1A.

I'm using a 2A Samsung charger, short cable, GPS and rear camera disconnected

Plug the power supply directly into the camera unit rather than the GPS mount. That will help to eliminate either the GPS unit itself or the connection between camera and GPS as potential causes for your problems. Also try with the rear camera unplugged so we can just get the main camera working.

After flashing with a new FW, powering on the camera then stopping recording, can you get into the camera menu?

I have disconnected everything (GPS, Rear camera). Power is from a 2A samsung charger wiht short supplied cable. I have swapped out the SD card.

A firmware flash will occur, unit boots. If I'm quick, I am able to stop recording. The left hand LED flashes continuously once recording stopped. I cannot enter the menu. I am able to fire up wifi, but now it will shut down within seconds of wifi being enabled so in effect I cannot configure it.

I have disconnected everything (GPS, Rear camera). Power is from a 2A samsung charger wiht short supplied cable. I have swapped out the SD card.

A firmware flash will occur, unit boots. If I'm quick, I am able to stop recording. The left hand LED flashes continuously once recording stopped. I cannot enter the menu. I am able to fire up wifi, but now it will shut down within seconds of wifi being enabled so in effect I cannot configure it.
Dont these come with 12 months warranty, send it back?

@jz333 ask @viofo what to do:
1. to send a camera back for a replacement or return
or
2. try to recover a camera by flashing the loader if they give you one.
do you have any simple USB multimeter to check what's going on with your power?

I'll ask @viofo. I have connected it to multiple USB power supplies. Now testing with a Samsung 2A which has been powering my Raspberry Pi 3 (with peripherals) for months.

Thank You.

Dont these come with 12 months warranty, send it back?
I agree. It sounds like you have tried to eliminate most things and that has not worked.

The response on this forum has been fantastic and highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Just installed the 3 wire kit. Cam does not go into parking mode as soon as the ignition is off. Parking mode enabled lateset beta firmware installed. Do i need to plug directly into the cam for it to detect the ignition is off? Or is via the mount ok, sureley the mount is linked through so shouldnt matter.

Just installed the 3 wire kit. Cam does not go into parking mode as soon as the ignition is off. Parking mode enabled lateset beta firmware installed. Do i need to plug directly into the cam for it to detect the ignition is off? Or is via the mount ok, sureley the mount is linked through so shouldnt matter.
Need to plug into the camera for parking mode to work.

Need to plug into the camera for parking mode to work.
thanks working now. bit of a bad design mind, a lot of strain on the plug now going into the side of the cam due to the angled power plug hitting the rear cam plug

So parking mode only works with the beta firmware? V1.3 will not work?

Back