Parking Mode Mini 0801

GrahamH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone explain if parking mode can be made.

Do you want it recording even when the car is off? If that's the case just tap not an always hot source and ground the negative. Please elaborate, I haven't heard of parking mode

Do you want it recording even when the car is off? If that's the case just tap not an always hot source and ground the negative. Please elaborate, I haven't heard of parking mode

Both Blackview and Mi-Witness offers parking mode.
Here is an extract from a review
Parking mode
If someone damages your car in your absence, a dash cam with parking mode will come to life and start recording, so you can see who hit your car.

Well, an easy option would be to keep your mini 0801 powered on with the g-sensor setting on. It'll just lock the file if the shock is strong enough.

Another option I can think of would be to build a box with a shock sensor, when the shock sensor goes off, the power for the 0801 is on for a preset time. The draw back is the mini 0801 has a pretty long start up time (3-5 seconds?).

Another is if you have an aftermarket alarm, like a Viper, it's fairly easy to install addons, a relay for the 0801's power would be a viable option.

I personally think its near impossible to make a parking mode on the mini 0801 software wise, if it were to happen, the battery would be the power source, because from everything we know, the 0801 only has one power signal. And that's to tell it to start recording when the car is on.

All ( most ) battery operated dash-cams G-sensors are no good for parking mode "sleep mode". Only capacitor based dashcams on hardwired-type solutions has proper implementation on g-sensor use for parking mode.

what about leaving it powered on all the time with motion detector set to ON?

what about leaving it powered on all the time with motion detector set to ON?

In parking mode motion detection will work better than g-sensor for this model, but here again is problem with battery: it will not last long and die soon because battery will be working constantly under pressure. So best is to look for capacitor based dashcams for any recordings related to g-sensor or motion det rec in parking mode.

My understanding of Parking Mode is that motion detect is on but not recording, recording occurs at a very low G sensor action.
In all cases the cam is powered by the car battery in an always on mode. If just left in motion detect the memory is constantly being written and over written so you could loose the incident.
I would have thought that as the Mini 0801 has the same sensory and recording capabilities as the two units with Parking I mentioned it has to be a firmware facility.

My understanding of Parking Mode is that motion detect is on but not recording, recording occurs at a very low G sensor action.
In all cases the cam is powered by the car battery in an always on mode. If just left in motion detect the memory is constantly being written and over written so you could loose the incident.
I would have thought that as the Mini 0801 has the same sensory and recording capabilities as the two units with Parking I mentioned it has to be a firmware facility.

Motion det ( and g-sensor activated ) rec footage is stored in protected folder so it can not be over-written by loop rec. However some cheaper models have limit of max 10 protected files which will be over-written by next motion or g-sensor footage. Sorry, dont remember how its that limit on 0801.

In parking mode motion detection will work better than g-sensor for this model, but here again is problem with battery: it will not last long and die soon because battery will be working constantly under pressure. So best is to look for capacitor based dashcams for any recordings related to g-sensor or motion det rec in parking mode.

To be clear - you mean "cameras that exclusively run off an internal battery". The mini 0801 has an internal battery, but that's just for brief set-up and playback off the car and clean power-down.

To be clear - you mean "cameras that exclusively run off an internal battery". The mini 0801 has an internal battery, but that's just for brief set-up and playback off the car and clean power-down.

@jokiin can explain in more understandable details. My technical language is not that good.

To get a better understanding if car powered, left in motion detect with G sensor on and the car is parked. Is all motions detected without a bump, but after what time.
I mean if you walk to/across the front of the car , how long does it take for recording start. Indications on a past post suggests this is not instant after the cam wakes up. some report up to 2 mins. Any user tests appreciated. Thanks Graham.

The camera doesn't have to wake up as it's active all the time, it should start recording within a second

IMO you'd probably be better off choosing a different camera to the 0801 if you want a 'Parking Mode' facility.

The 0801 has a relatively short internal battery life so for anything more than about 20 minutes or so it'll have to be powered by the car battery.

Now assuming it is powered by the car battery, as far as I understand the operation of the camera, there are only two choices for making 'Parking Mode' recordings :

1) Continuous recordings which would yield about 6.5 hours from a 32Gb SD card

or

2) Camera switched on but not recording and with the 'Motion Detect' feature 'ON'. Then for any movement detected in front of the lens the camera will begin recording almost immediately and will continue until approximately 12 seconds after all movement has ceased.

It goes without saying that you won't get any useful recordings if the impact to your vehicle occurs behind the camera ... but then I'd have thought that there's MUCH LESS chance of a collision whilst parked up anyway ... it's not something I worry about TBH :)

BTW on my 0801 all of the files made when the 'Motion Detect' feature is triggered do NOT get 'Locked' / Write Protected ... that only happens when the G-Sensor is triggered.

Hope this helps !

This is an idea - I have no technical background - but I needed "parking mode".

Is it anyhow possible use G-sensor as triggering movie recording? What I mean... In normal situation camera starts recording when power is switched on but if I leave camera power on - with continuous power - and recording off --> when camera detects G-sensor triggered then camera starts recording certain time f.e. 2 minutes and then stop recording and stays waiting next G-sensor triggering...

There might be difficulties with these two "modes" - starts recording automaticly when power on and this parking mode - however if parking mode would work like this then I can live with manual video starting... Do you get my point?

This is an idea - I have no technical background - but I needed "parking mode".

Is it anyhow possible use G-sensor as triggering movie recording? What I mean... In normal situation camera starts recording when power is switched on but if I leave camera power on - with continuous power - and recording off --> when camera detects G-sensor triggered then camera starts recording certain time f.e. 2 minutes and then stop recording and stays waiting next G-sensor triggering...

There might be difficulties with these two "modes" - starts recording automaticly when power on and this parking mode - however if parking mode would work like this then I can live with manual video starting... Do you get my point?

As per G-sensor triggering in parking mode, then almost non of the 5V powered dashcams abale to trigger G-sensor when car is parked and dashcam feeds from internal battery. Only high-end dashcams which are based on capacitor ( 12v powered ), -they run / record G-sensor and motion detection on so called backgorund ( buffer ) and only they can provide reliable motion detection and G-sensor recording.

The camera doesn't have to wake up as it's active all the time, it should start recording within a second

This hasn't been my experience. While using motion sensor mode I've noticed a delay of 4-5 seconds (I'm sometime all the way through a light before it starts recording again). Additionally, I'm also having problems with the camera stopping recording while I'm actually driving. If I'm driving in a straight line and not much looks like it's changing, it will stop recording until I pass under a stoplight or something that trips the "motion" threshold. This makes the motion sensor mode pretty useless.

Would love to know if anyone else has had issues with this. I do understand that other cameras with better, true, "parking mode" would probably be a better fit, but they also cost $200 more.

Thanks,
Brian

While using motion sensor mode I've noticed a delay of 4-5 seconds (I'm sometime all the way through a light before it starts recording again). Additionally, I'm also having problems with the camera stopping recording while I'm actually driving. If I'm driving in a straight line and not much looks like it's changing, it will stop recording until I pass under a stoplight or something that trips the "motion" threshold

Hi Brian,

When I first bought my 0801 I had the 'Motion Detect' feature 'ON' and was also experiencing the camera operating as you describe above. So I set the 'Motion Detect' feature 'OFF' and ever since then I've had no problems whatsoever with it recording ALL of my journeys correctly.

However what this means is if you then want to leave the camera powered on whilst your car is parked up, just in case it gets hit, you'll have to first switch the 'Motion Detect' feature back 'ON' ... and then 'OFF' again before your next journey !

Hope this helps,
Simon.

Personally tested and not good enough for me :(, motion detect only reacts to lateral movements of objects and not to objects coming straight at the camera. such as slow-moving vehicles and persons.

Back