Parking mode vs battery drain

pandap

Reaction score
I am looking to buy the ITB-100HD. While looking at the necessity of the Uniterrupted Power Cable, I was brought to the concern of battery drainage.

How does Parking mode work? Does it turns on when motion is detected? or does it turn on when impact is detected?

If it's the former, a friend/co-worker of mine was saying that even with the use of the Uninterrupted Power Cable(UPC), it is still not a good idea to use the parking mode feature because our work place has too many people walking around then the cam would be more or less constant on.

My friend was saying, even with the UPC, it is not good for the battery to be constantly at a low voltage(since it's more or less constant turned on in our case) and because my drive distance from home to work is less than 10 kilometers, he was saying my car wouldn't even be running long enough for the battery to recharge.

Is this all true? I'd like to hear some second opinions from you dash cam users/experts

the UPC i was looking at was this one link

Thank you in advance for the advices

pandap said:
I am looking to buy the ITB-100HD. While looking at the necessity of the Uniterrupted Power Cable, I was brought to the concern of battery drainage.

How does Parking mode work? Does it turns on when motion is detected? or does it turn on when impact is detected?

If it's the former, a friend/co-worker of mine was saying that even with the use of the Uninterrupted Power Cable(UPC), it is still not a good idea to use the parking mode feature because our work place has too many people walking around then the cam would be more or less constant on.

My friend was saying, even with the UPC, it is not good for the battery to be constantly at a low voltage(since it's more or less constant turned on in our case) and because my drive distance from home to work is less than 10 kilometers, he was saying my car wouldn't even be running long enough for the battery to recharge.

Is this all true? I'd like to hear some second opinions from you dash cam users/experts

the UPC i was looking at was this one link

Thank you in advance for the advices

Hi pandap,

In parking mode the ITB-100HD is constantly on and will record video when an impact is felt or motion is detected. In your case, it would be constantly recording due to so much motion. However, I'm not sure if recording vs just being on would consume more power.

As for the short drive distance, that might be a problem depending on the condition of the battery in your car. Typically a battery will take 10 minutes to 30 minutes to recharge when driving (rough guess based on google search). Overall, with a car battery in good condition, people have gone multiple days without the battery running out. I think if you go on longer drives every few days, you should be ok.

Dash Cam Man

Hi Dash Cam Man,

Thank you for your advices!

As far as I know, I believe that recording would use more power than just being on.
Kinda like how your phone has a "standby" time and a "talk" time, where "standby" time is usually much longer than "talk" time, since "standby" is just being on vs "talk" is actually doing something

Anywho, here's another thing:

How does parking mode(in general) usually works? does it require human interaction(activate with a button press)? or does it somehow detect when your ignition is off?

Contrary to most car's cigarette lighter, my car(a Volkswagon Golf MKIV)'s cigarette lighter is actually always on, the cigarette lighter is still on/has power even after ignition is turned off and keys pulled.
In that case, do I still need the UPC cable(let's just hypothetically assume I don't care about battery drain now)?

Thanks again

Hi pandap,

Parking mode is automatic, no interaction since the camera receives power at all time. If your cigarette lighter has power always on and you don't care about battery drain, just plug it directly into the cigarette lighter and parking mode will work.

Dash Cam Man

Hi pandap,

Parking mode is automatic, no interaction since the camera receives power at all time. If your cigarette lighter has power always on and you don't care about battery drain, just plug it directly into the cigarette lighter and parking mode will work.

Dash Cam Man

Hi.

Could someone clarify the above statement a bit? It's not clear to me if you are saying that a connection to an "always-on" circuit is a necessary and sufficient condition for Parking Mode to work.

That is, if I have a dash cam that supports parking mode (say the BlackVue DR650GW-2CH) and I am recording just fine while driving, then I arrive at my destination...At this point, what triggers the seamless transition from driving surveillance recording mode to parking surveillance recording mode? It is the mere act of shifting the transmission from Drive to Parking? or is it that plus Shutting off the engine? or is it those last two plus my Opening and Closing the driver's side door? Is it something else yet?

That is, exactly how does the dash cam know it's time for it to begin recording under Parking Mode support?

the cameras that do this use G-Sensor and GPS information to determine when to go into parking mode, after a certain period of inactivity they will change modes

the cameras that do this use G-Sensor and GPS information to determine when to go into parking mode, after a certain period of inactivity they will change modes

Are there, then, 2 types of parking surveillance modes implemented by manufacturers, those that "use G-Sensor and GPS information to determine when to go into parking mode", and those that "offer Parking Mode by Motion Detection" (this latter per the herein linked BlackBoxMyCar article)? Or, are they two different names for the same technology implementation?

Are there, then, 2 types of parking surveillance modes implemented by manufacturers, those that "use G-Sensor and GPS information to determine when to go into parking mode", and those that "offer Parking Mode by Motion Detection" (this latter per the herein linked BlackBoxMyCar article)? Or, are they two different names for the same technology implementation?

this is just about how it switches from one mode to the other, motion detect still applies to both, some cameras rely on ignition switching to determine the mode, it's more accurate but means a hardwire install is required

this is just about how it switches from one mode to the other, motion detect still applies to both, some cameras rely on ignition switching to determine the mode, it's more accurate but means a hardwire install is required

So, is switching to parking mode recording an automatic feature, or is it manufacturer-dependent -- with some manufacturers requiring some manual work (going thru menus, pushing some buttons, flipping some switch) but others manufacturers implementing it by detecting when some activity already regularly performed by the driver (shutting ignition, exiting car, etc.) occurs. I ask because it would worry me if I had to activate PM every time I park.

no, there are a couple of cameras where the process is automated and they can be hooked up to a cig plug and will automatically go into parking mode after a period of inactivity based on G-Sensor and GPS info, eg you haven't moved for 10 minutes camera changes modes, other cameras require hard wiring to ignition and accessories and the camera will change modes depending if the car is running or not

no, there are a couple of cameras where the process is automated and they can be hooked up to a cig plug and will automatically go into parking mode after a period of inactivity based on G-Sensor and GPS info, eg you haven't moved for 10 minutes camera changes modes, other cameras require hard wiring to ignition and accessories and the camera will change modes depending if the car is running or not

Ok, but do files get "locked" whether you use parking mode by motion detection or parking mode by g-sensor detection?....If there is a difference, then there is more to this Parking Mode option than meets the eye. :eek:

Last edited:
Back