Pedestrians...

It looks like they were crossing with the green light. In the US, the cars are supposed to give way in this situation. Is it different in the UK?

KuoH

The yellow box on the post where they set out from is the controller. They wouldn't have had a green light to cross, basically, they took a chance. Sadl, we don't have laws on jaywalking & we aren't allowed to run the idiots down.
No matter what speed you are doing, you have to make allowances.

It looks like they were crossing with the green light. In the US, the cars are supposed to give way in this situation. Is it different in the UK?

KuoH

Green lights only ever indicate right of way. In my clip the green light was for the traffic. Pedestrians have right of way when a Green Man is lit - traffic is held at red lights. Now there are more 20mph roads in London I find a greater number of people taking a chance and walking onto the road when it isn't their right of way. Honking the vans horn can help clear a junction if done from far enough away - too close I find people jump and freeze... I realise it sounds aggressive but it already takes long enough to get around London without needing to stop to allow impatient pedestrians time to cross the road when it will be their right if way in only a minute!

Maybe they just arrived from Eastern Europe. ;)

Here we allso have the light for pedestrians and traffic split up, so it is often the case there will be red for pedstrians but green for cars in same direstion.
For the most part in those spots there is a button to press if you want to use the crosswalk, otherwise the light remain red for pedestrians.
And this just make ppl say fawk all and walk over under red light as its green for the cars in that direction, and this slowly undermine the moral of ppl.
6417374-forsinkelse-p-fodgngerkampagne---1.jpg

In the old days the light for pedestrians just followed the traffic light with some delay, that way it was easy to see if the light was about to change to yellow/red BECUZ the light for pedestrians would change to red a fjew seconds before the traffic light started to change to yellow and red.

I like the old system better and i assume it was far cheaper to run, but the ppl in power dont give a damm as its not ther money that have to pay for the "party"

London pedestrians are just the best! :/

Well everybody has the right to be ugly but she was abusing the privilege so you have to be sympathetic. And of course she was on her phone so you need to make allowances for that too. It's like the drivers who have a 'Baby on Board' sign in their car, they think it's a licence to drive badly.

That sure does remind me of places I drive :eek:
Mexico is the most adventurous place to cross the road. In 99 percent of roads there are no lights and crossing is like the game Frogger. Multi lane roads are crossed one lane at a time or you may not be able to cross at all and people don't walk when they cross any road, they run.

Mexico is the most adventurous place to cross the road. In 99 percent of roads there are no lights and crossing is like the game Frogger. Multi lane roads are crossed one lane at a time or you may not be able to cross at all and people don't walk when they cross any road, they run.

Found this in Greece too, I've rarely seen a traffic light in Greece and the fact is they drive like no tomorrow, everywhere theres a car so you just have to run as soon as there's a gap. God forbid you were old and frail, you'd never manage to cross the road.

Much like when I get first time visitors to China and you need to explain that pedestrian crossings are not about cars stopping to let you cross the road but rather they are designated places to get run over

Much like when I get first time visitors to China and you need to explain that pedestrian crossings are not about cars stopping to let you cross the road but rather they are designated places to get run over
I went back to visit a South Asian country after living in US for over a decade and man I couldn't cross the street.
It was a mix of vehicles and people all over the road all the time. :eek:
I feared for my life and hired a taxi wherever I needed to go. :D
It was still scary because if the taxi hits a pedestrian, the public would beat the crap out of the driver and mess the car up including passenger sometimes.

In the UK, pedestrians and cyclists are classified as "soft targets" and the law will always see in their favour, irrespective they are technically in the wrong.

Just imagine how bloody it would be if Japan adopted some of those rules or rather lack/disregard of rules.
88809704-busy-pedestrian-crossing-in-tokyo-japan-gettyimages.jpg

When i was there in 1991 i was like ????? WTF, and i must have been really stupid back then cuz a fjew hours later i was high on sake and beer.

I went back to visit a South Asian country after living in US for over a decade and man I couldn't cross the street.
It was a mix of vehicles and people all over the road all the time. :eek:
I feared for my life and hired a taxi wherever I needed to go. :D
It was still scary because if the taxi hits a pedestrian, the public would beat the crap out of the driver and mess the car up including passenger sometimes.
:D

Back