Perth's unmarked bikes catching mobile users

I wish all police agencies would use this method. Would likely save a number of lives annually.

Thats pretty cool :D
Here we do have unmarked cars going about dooing traffic, but on a daily basis i estimate its only 10-12 cars in the whole country witch is way too little.
The bike is a much better for catching most phone junkies, you get up closer, and with a headmounted camera there is little headroom for lying your way out of it.
To my knowlege we do not have unmarked bikes here :oops:

This morning yet again a car whent into oncomming traffic and collided with a truck, the news said it changed lanes for unknown reasons, but i know why ;)

But we do have unmarked HGV's. Some HGV drivers look quite surprised and drop their phones quickly when they see a cop in the passenger seat of the unmarked truck driving alongside. :p

Last edited:
But we do have unmarked HGV's. Some HGV drivers seem look quite surprised and drop their phones quickly when they see a cop in the passenger seat of the unmarked truck driving alongside. :p

I was surprised to see on TV that the M23 is patrolled by an unmarked tractor unit of a 40 ton truck. Plus unmarked police motorcycles & high powered cars.

I think here they use a camper or somthing in that order to see what goes on up in the big rigs, but i think they rent it or somthing, or if not we only have 1 that travle between the policestations.

What ever is done here, it too little and too late im affraid :oops:

Seems to me that the more 'they' clamp down on the idiots using their mobiles, the more people I see using them. Hardly a day goes by without me seeing a good half a dozen driving & using their mobiles. Sadly, my cam doesn't catch them because of the tinted screens.

What they've started doing here is having a group of volunteers in hi-viz vests with signs that say not to use your handheld cell while driving. Then a few hundred meters down the road there's a cop spotting, and radioing to another cop down the road, who pulls over the handheld-using driver.

The media's been on top of these stories, but the behaviour continues....

Every year we have a couple of days here where the cops focus on ppl running red light or too late yellow, so just for the hell of it i staked out a intersection for 1 hour with a videocamera.
The cops announce this for weeks in advance, and its allso in the news every year.

Reviewing the 1 hour footage i count 130 running a too late yellow - 46 running a red light ( 8 of them bicyclists ) and this is just in one direction. :(

This idiot is making himself an easy catch with his window down, the van driver behind him also had a phone in the hand but harder to see due to its windows being up.

Back