Pics that make you smile

Do not fall asleep with one that's for damn sure :D

At least Sumsang seem to do right by the ppl with the dangerous ones.

17 pages of drawings to patent a white paper bag http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?docid=...PGNR.%26OS=DN/20160264304%26RS=DN/20160264304 the world has gone nuts if they're granted a patent over a white paper bag

I've had some professional experience with package design and there is a whole fascinating world of package design and utility patent protection. The success of a particular package design, even a paper bag can make or break a product or a brand and infringement is rampant. The industry is worth billions of dollars. In the case of a paper bag what seems generic really isn't quite. It has to do with how durable the bag is, how it presents when carried with different types of goods in it, how much weight it can hold, how much it weighs, how much it costs to manufacture and ship and a surprising number of other factors. Major corporations including Apple put a great deal of effort into this and spend a lot of money protecting their IP just like any other thing they produce. If you pay attention to all this next time you see someone walking down the street with a shopping bag from a big time fancy department store you might gain some understanding of why a patent can be a big deal to these companies even for a lousy paper bag.

The original flat bottomed paper bag with pleated sides was invented in 1883 by Chas Stilwell who also invented a machine for producing them. Its flat bottom would stand up straight by itself and the pleated sides made them easy to fold and stack. It was dubbed the S.O.S. or Self-Opening Sack and was patented along with the machine he invented for producing them.

I understand patents (I have a few), undoubtedly their whole reason for even wanting to patent a paper bag would be because the minute it was released Samsung would be sending customers out the door with something just like it and the Huawei, Xiaomi etc etc versions would soon follow as they all try and knock off that Apple customer experience, design patents are the hardest to justify and I don't think you'd need to look far and wide to find these same design elements among other existing paper bags, not exactly revolutionary, don't get me wrong I do like Apple but they are masters of presenting existing ideas from a new perspective and having people gush over their "innovation"

masters of presenting existing ideas from a new perspective and having people gush over their "innovation"

AMEN! People are lemmings and want to be part of the crowd so much that they blind themselves to the obvious ;)

Phil

I understand patents (I have a few), undoubtedly their whole reason for even wanting to patent a paper bag would be because the minute it was released Samsung would be sending customers out the door with something just like it and the Huawei, Xiaomi etc etc versions would soon follow as they all try and knock off that Apple customer experience, design patents are the hardest to justify and I don't think you'd need to look far and wide to find these same design elements among other existing paper bags, not exactly revolutionary, don't get me wrong I do like Apple but they are masters of presenting existing ideas from a new perspective and having people gush over their "innovation"

I don't disagree about Apple or any of the other companies that engage in similar practices. It's just how marketing often works these days. You should see how many patents exist for paper cups among the major corporations that sell beverages!

most major economies are involved but what I mean is that patents and the associated licensing revenue is a major earner for the US economy

Of the 10 top corporate patent producers in recent years only three are based in the US with the rest from Japan, Korea and Israel but as far as revenue I'm not really sure. I know the US is a big player but not the only one by any means.

Last edited:
I wish i had the right to a bear arms, just like the Americans :D no wonder there is so few bears left over there with 1 bear to provide arms to 2 Americans.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back