Pittasoft Blackvue DR500GW-HD

Mtz said:
If russians have a lot of cameras purchased from korea they will find the way. They are many, smart, and interested to give their work to other people because are not selfish.

enjoy,
Mtz

Not selfish? They have hacked some of the device, but they are not sharing it for free, they are selling it for appr. 12 euros. And once again: they couldn´t reflash the original firmware, but created an alternative one which runs not from the internal flash memory but from the SD memory card. Sort of. (Actually they developed list of commands for original firmware, but that`s not relevant).

P.S. Just read from Russian forum that my comment about the firmware was funny. Maybe, I`m not a computer geek. Fact is, formatting SD card in Blackvue is not possible as it overwrites the hacked version, which means the original firmware is not broken and whatever they mixed there, it`s not for free.

I didn't know about the money but I don't think asking for money will be forever. :geek: But still they have great forums with a lot of developed things.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
I didn't know about the money but I don't think asking for money will be forever. :geek: But still they have great forums with a lot of developed things.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yeah, that`s their nature, hack and pirate everything what`s possible.

linni said:
linni, я надеюсь Вы не успели позабыть русский язык.
Держите себя в руках ;)
Кстати хватит уже здесь фантазировать по поводу распространения за деньги.
Вроде читали наш форум, но видно невнимательно. :D

linni said:
You are simply so stupid that you don't understand for what it becomes.
We correct pittasoft firmware because they deceive buyers.
Here so my blackvue 400 II with an original firmware.

Relax, guys :) Develop your hack and be happy. But be aware, as told already in this forum, your act might have consequenses: Pittasoft can put a slowdown on releasing new firmwares for legal owners.
Just for your information - I wouldn`t jeopardize my device with your hack. It`s not perfect, but I´m also not a Fellini shooting action all the time. Peace.

Mtz said:

enjoy,
Mtz

I agree, when something first becomes available maybe somebody wants to be rewarded for their efforts, doesn't last long though until it becomes widespread and free for all, without people like this it would never happen so don't begrudge the first guy that wants to get something back for his efforts

linni said:
Pittasoft can put a slowdown on releasing new firmwares for legal owners.
I am the legal owner.
New firmware for 400 II no more than seven months.
Pittasoft forgot about us

Let's not do personal insults. I think we all want what is best for the consumer and are looking for the best deal. If the Russians buy the Korean model for $250 and sell the hack for a few bucks, it is a better deal than what the authorized vendors sell the camera for. I think most North Americans would probably just pay the extra $50 and not deal with the firmware headaches.

The bigger problem is the low bit rate which causes pixelated video. That is unacceptable for a $300 camera, especially when the Pittasoft could easily fix the problem with a minor firmware change.

Hi Guerrero,

I agree Pittasoft not releasing firmware for their cameras to legitimate purchasers is just ridiculous. However as the in car camera market grows outside of Korea, they will be left behind if they keep up with these practices.

DashCamMan said:
Hi Guerrero,

I agree Pittasoft not releasing firmware for their cameras to legitimate purchasers is just ridiculous. However as the in car camera market grows outside of Korea, they will be left behind if they keep up with these practices.

I think in a lot of product categories that Korean companies get away with poor service in the early life cycle of a product where they are often leading the development, once a product becomes a stable mass production type product though they lose their advantage and quite often lose interest in the product altogether, too often leaving behind buggy products that don't see any further support

DashCamMan said:
The bigger problem is the low bit rate which causes pixelated video.
Problem not only in bit rate(7,5 mbit in normal mode). Chinese recorder(8 mbit) perfectly recorded where blackvue showed large squares.

DashCamMan said:
That is unacceptable for a $300 camera,
In the Russian official BlackVue 400 II sold ~366$.
DR500GW 500$

It seems that the situation on dashcam market is exactly the same as it`s been on media players market for last 5 years. Great expectations, zero results. As vendors develop new products, support for previous ones will be dropped. You can change the vendor but it doesn`t change really anything. You want a decent player - you build HTPC, which is 2 - 3 times more expensive than the market one.
Same with dashcams - I don`t believe anything`s going to happen and furious development will be expected unless someone from the big ones (Canon, Sony) will take for it. You want a decent dashcam with data analyzer - be ready to spend 2000 € on it.

Guerrero said:
Problem not only in bit rate(7,5 mbit in normal mode). Chinese recorder(8 mbit) perfectly recorded where blackvue showed large squares.

I think the problem in here is super wide angle lens and that`s why higher bitrate is needed. No one on the market offers such wide angle yet. Why should it be so wide anyway, the one in 400 would be enough?

linni said:
It seems that the situation on dashcam market is exactly the same as it`s been on media players market for last 5 years..

kind of what I was hinting at earlier, I did DVD and Media Players for many years and the Koreans were notorious for releasing feature packed, not quite right product and then moving on to newer solutions before they had got the prior models sorted and they would just leave customers high and dry with no support

linni said:
Guerrero said:

I think the problem in here is super wide angle lens and that`s why higher bitrate is needed. No one on the market offers such wide angle yet. Why should it be so wide anyway, the one in 400 would be enough?
In my kapkam q2 angle more wider than 400-2 :) I replaced the lens. No squares there existed (devices hung nearby and record at the same time)
The video(7,5mbit) shows that the problems appear only near trees without leaves. The lens can't so distort the image.
With 10mbit image quality is better on the same device. Problem in firmware. Bitrate change the simplest way for improvement of quality.
Just the same problems at DR500GW-HD

They are not "Hacked as such" but are usually Korean Domestic models.

See here for reply I got from Pittasoft

Dear Customer,

This is **** *** from Pittasoft.

Blackvue is not able to be upgraded to other language.

The firmware is encrypted, so there is no way to change.

This is our policy to prevent to be distributed domestic products to abroad.

We are sorry to inform that your unit is produced as Korean version for domestic market.

It might be distributed by unauthorized reseller.

As you purchased it from unofficial routes, the unit is not able to receive warranty service.

Please contact the shop where your friend purchased.

However as it only gives the startup and shutdown message it doesnt really matter.

If you cant read the settings menu on it just download the Blackvue viewer in English and put both up on screen when adjusting Not hard Thats what I do

Actually you can switch off all voice guidances.

linni said:
Actually you can switch off all voice guidances.

Yes you can but its nice to get a voice confirmation that it has started up if you cant see the lights like on mine

A few videos recorded with my new BlackVue DR500GW-HD

With default settings:

With same setting except high compression OFF:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back