Pittasoft Blackvue DR500GW-HD

I just got my BlackVue DR500 and I think it works perfectly. I was about to take the plunge on the Itronics ITB100 but I found having the blackvue app is worth it. You can control the settings and view videos from the app, that's a big plus in my book.
I also didn't like the design of the ITB100, the Blackvue feels very sturdy and the way it mounts looks 10x better. It is a little bigger but that's no problem for me. The voice recording button is actually a sensor type button. I kept touching it by accident until I found out where it was. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The night quality isn't that bad too. I still can make out a few plates and such. Park mode works well too. It doesn't get hot at all or warm. Maybe that's because it's freezing here still. I'll wait till the summer and see how it holds up.

Oh yeah, my window is dirty on the inside. need to clean it
Here is a driving video:
Full screen @ 1080p 30fps ... super clear quality even at night time!!!

Here is a park mode video:
It's pretty good. Maybe better than the Itronics IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Audime,

I will see what I can find on the Russian hack this week.

First, I think the russian hack is made to have russian language in it. So even we can obtain some feature like more bitrate, russian audio will not help too much.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi!
Sorry for my English
If you have a file with the English voice can do for you.
We had a problem with the firmware upgrade, we lost DR500GW
we all bought DR500GW for experiments.
And in connection with the policy Pitasoft, not spread freely firmware.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. You need just the WAV english voices from the english firmware?

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes
if you have DVR with English voice, you can simply lift bitrate
If the DVR with Korean voice can be changed to English

I think some Russians have bricked their BlackVue devices when changing the firmware. Is this what you are trying to say helper?

After doing some more reading on the Russian forum, they have hacked the firmware to change the bitrate and put Russian voices. However they have not shared it publicly but are rather sharing it via PM.

One thing that was mentioned is that you can telnet / ssh to the camera via WiFi. Telnet or SSH into port IP 192.168.8.1 when you have the camera connected to your WiFi network.

You should see a MontaVista Linux screen and you can login as follows:

localhost login: root
Password: pt

dashcamtalk.com_cams_dr500gw_hd_DR500GW_HD_20SSH.jpg

This should give you access to the root directory.

dashcamtalk.com_cams_dr500gw_hd_DR500GW_HD_20SSH_202.jpg

DashCamMan said:
You should see a MontaVista Linux screen and you can login as follows:

localhost login: root
Password: pt

too easy, most cams are using embedded Linux so we might see some development from the enthusiast community one of these days

Hmm... how they found the password?

enjoy,
Mtz

I think they did a brute force attack but I am not 100% sure.

I was thinking the password is somewhere inside the firmware files.
Maybe some russian or ukrainian user can tell us more.

enjoy,
Mtz

Well I got my unit today and tried to use it in the house. The battery charger unit that had the cigar lighter socket did not allow the BlackVue cable to plug into it properly, so no chance to try it in house. Maybe I can get away with using the other battery charger I have.

Well the only problem I have is that the book mentions an on/off switch for audio. Mine does not have it. It was also ordered with the 32GB card and sure enough, the card came without the viewing software. Now I have to find that somewhere. Anyone here know where I can find the viewing software?

Tomorrow I will try it in the car and see if it lights up with cigar lighter adapter in the console. Hope it does because I want to start making some 'driving in Winter movies'. :D

The audio on and off is a buttonless touch sensitive button. I wrote in my review. You just need to touch where the WIFI icon is and it turns off/on.

Moon_Wolf said:
Anyone here know where I can find the viewing software?
DR500GW enable a blank flash card. DVR will record everything you need

Hi everybody,

DashCamMan said:
I think they did a brute force attack but I am not 100% sure.

No, they are not so stupid. One of the guys has development kit for Texas Instruments, on-board digital multimedia kit. They developed an alternative firmware, running from SD card. The original firmware was cracked, but they were unable to reflash it.
By the way, they managed to bring to life the first DR500, they bricked during development.

Moon_Wolf said:
Anyone here know where I can find the viewing software?

Once you insert SD card into device, it will be formatted and software will be copied to memory card. Just insert SD into computer, install software and run it.
Anyway, an alternative software could be found here:
http://registratorviewer.narod.ru/index_en.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be, just for me is this kind of hacking quite a cosmos :)
They seem to have two different designers with their own methods and fact is, (theoretically) unlimited bitrate, russian voices etc are available.

Got it all figured out. Initialize the card and you get the software. Interesting process I must say.

I did my first run today with the camera. Stuck it to the windshield and kind of wish I put it elsewhere. That is really stuck on there now. Only problem I have is the 3" strip of blue tinting that is in the way. If I mount the camera any lower, it will be very visible from the front end of the car. So for now, it is shooting through the blue tint. It throws the color off a bit but overall, the video is fine.

I ran today's drive in 1080 mode. Tomorrow I will run it in 720 mode and see how much difference there is. I do wish it had a slightly smaller fish eye appearance on the video.

Camera recorded the trip quite nicely except this time of the year the sun is just low enough at 4 pm to mess up the video.

Either way, easy to use, easy to setup, working great and now to play some more. Guess I need to setup a youtube 'My BlackVue' channel.

I was also able to use my newly purchcased Galaxy Note II to wifi into the camera. Works great.

Thanks to all for the tips on where I get the software.

Back