plane loses lift on turn ..

petepete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Passenger Planes were being re routed into manchester and i saw this one track from left at to right at increadably low speed before turning towards me and losing lift dramatically -

Its not an optical illusion, it scared me sh==tless as i watched.

sorry, too small, you need to be on a larger screen and switch to hd...

20 miles out from manchester, all planes were following this unusual flight path roughly that day but this plane tracked far slower than others which is why i was watching it and i think the pilot got a right scare on that turn droping faster than he was going foreward and at such a low level ...

I didnt think he would have the height to recover ...

Sorry mate, have to say that I too am struggling to see the plane you are referring to. If it was anything like the manoeuvre in the clip below I can understand you being alarmed.

Passenger Planes were being re routed into manchester and i saw this one track from left at to right at increadably low speed before turning towards me and losing lift dramatically -

Its not an optical illusion, it scared me sh==tless as i watched.
Planes always loose lift when they turn since the wings are no longer lifting them vertically, part of the lift gets transferred to pulling them around the corner. It's quite normal to loose a lot of height so the pilot would probably have known exactly what was happening and would have worked out that he had enough height before making the turn and would always have had the option to back out and get the lift back vertical. Normally you don't see this since you don't often see them turn while close to the ground.

The raw file is much better, but it appears only as a white dot after youtube...

I have never seen a plane fly so slow before it made the turn and what drew my attention to it was the fact it looked as if it was just hanging there (sat in car waiting for a take away to be prepared).

I know they can lose lift on a turn, but this was going down much faster than it was going foreward which is the bit I captured.

I watched others take this "unusual" flight path later and they all travelled much faster and higher and later in the day they were back on a much higher overhead usual flight path ..

Sorry mate, have to say that I too am struggling to see the plane you are referring to. If it was anything like the manoeuvre in the clip below I can understand you being alarmed.

that one just looks like simple pilot error - pulling back on the yoke too much too quickly = instant stall. it's pretty much the first error anyone ever makes the first time they try out a flight sim.

i thought for sure either the left wingtip or tail section would hit the ground first, but the pilot finally nosed it down some for a less aggressive climb. there was plenty of room to clear the trees, just the pilot got in too much of a hurry. a very rookie mistake imho. the scary part is that he/she went right back into that aggressive climb once it was back under control.

i am not a pilot, so i apologize if i've got any of the terminology wrong.

its just a wing wave and the pilot meant to do that to say ta ra ..

that one just looks like simple pilot error - pulling back on the yoke too much too quickly = instant stall. it's pretty much the first error anyone ever makes the first time they try out a flight sim.

i thought for sure either the left wingtip or tail section would hit the ground first, but the pilot finally nosed it down some for a less aggressive climb. there was plenty of room to clear the trees, just the pilot got in too much of a hurry. a very rookie mistake imho. the scary part is that he/she went right back into that aggressive climb once it was back under control.

i am not a pilot, so i apologize if i've got any of the terminology wrong.
Don't think it ever stalled, it never actually lost any height. I think it just hit a strong gust of headwind so stopped moving forward relative to the ground for a few seconds. A 747 freighter that is empty (without the 134 tonnes of cargo capacity) has a vast amount of spare power at take off, they can pin you to your seat when they are empty.

Back