Point me to the right cam, please!

Com69

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
1 SG9665GC, 3 SGZC12RC
Just got a new 2016 Camaro, love the car, my new favorite child. Like any good parent, I worry when I'm not around and my poor baby is alone and defenseless in a parking lot. Not sure exactly what to look for. I want a cam that can/has....
1. Motion detection
2. Will record before and after actual event
3. Very good video quality, day and night
4. Audio is optional, but prefered
5. Will record as stated above if car is bumped in ANY way, if someone breathes too hard in it's direction
6. Remote live feed, if at all possible.
7. 360 degrees would be nice, but want max field of vision possible

I basically want a protective force field for my car, but will settle for being able to see what's happened/happening when I'm not around. I just spent $4?,000 on my car, not going to nitpick on price for piece of mind that it is as protcted as possibly at all times. Can someone point me in the right direction, or educate me on what I can realistically expect from a dash cam.

Thanks in advance

No one?

I've been researching and think I've narrowed it down to these.....

Qvia Z970
Thinkware F750 (wish the F770 would come out already!)
SGZC12RC

I really want the best parking mode cam, so if anyone has any experience with these, I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks

I have not played with the G-sensor in regard to parking guard, but at least on my Lukas where i played with such things it did appear like you was able to set sensetivety so high a sneeze would set it off.
One thing is for sure if i was ever to use parking guard in any dashcam i would rely on G-sensor too, motion detect just dont do it for me ( but it worked allright on my old LUkas LK7500, even in pretty dark conditions )

1. I would go with just G-sensor, motion detect will start on just about anything passing by in front of your car, from a starling to that huge SUV passing by, so expect many recordings to be made of irellevant events.

2. I think all 3 cameras you have narrowed down have prebuffered event recording.

3. Daytime no problem, night time can be a problem, there got to be some light for any camera to do its thing, and i am not sure a porch light will cut it.
But at home in the driveway if you have a good light triggered by a PIR sensor, then the camera in the car should do allright.
Or if you park under a streetlight.

4. All cameras have audio, but some are better than other, the SGZC you picked have the microfone in the headunit, so if you hide that really good you are allso hiding the microfone.

A DIY remote microfone mod is easy to do if you know your way around a soldering iron and a drill.

6. Live feed will be a problem, the cameras that do have wifi often have a lag on the signal, but a fjew seconds is not so bad.
BUT ! the transmitters allso seem to be pretty weak ones, and your camera is sitting inside a "metal cage" so that will put a damper on the signal too.
I guess if you have plenty of DIY skills at hand you could take a dashcam apart, and remove the build in antenna and then put a socket in so you can use a external antenna instead.
This will offcourse viod any warrenty.
If you really want this and some range you can tap into the AV out that most cameras have, and then put that signal into a transmitter like used for FPV on radiocontrolled things.
This will allso mean you can use a external antenna on the car, and you can get mighty strong transmitters on the legal 2.5 and 5.8 GHZ bands ( and whatever other bands you Americans have open )
Now this still dont mean you will have coverage from the car in the lot and all the way back in the mall your are in.
Allso since this is transmitting a signal you will allso need a reciver for that signal and a screen to see it on, and to my knowlege there is no of the transmitters for FPV stuff that can be recived on a regular smart phone as it is on its own.

But for the driveway at home it would work good, and you can get to see the signal with a pres of the button on your TV remove ( just connect reciver to a unused analog input on TV )

But at home i still recomend a good CCTV system for more than the cars in the driveway.

7. 360 coverage will demand 4 cameras in the car, and then we are at a place where you are putting a serious drain on your car battery.
For this to work you will need a good sized battery, and you will have to drive a lot every day to recharge the cameras after the nights drain, and if you then allso use the system the 7-8 houres you are working then you will be at or damm near a place where you will need extra batteries out in your car.

There are a fjew 360 cameras out allready, but they are all of the action style, so they dont have dashcam functionalety.

ATM there is no good 4 channel dashcam systems out there, there are some that look good, but then reading the small print it get hard for a dashcam expert to recomend such a system.
So as things are at the moment us addicts with many cameras in our cars rely on single cameras, and then a handfull of them.
That work fine for every day driving, for parking guard i dont know i have never used it just played a little with it way back when i had the Lukas dashcam.
The major minus with 4 single cameras is you have to go to each of then to retrive the SD card if you eant to get footage of it.

Good dual systems are allmost here with current gen, the comming generation should make sure they will now be good and really worthwhile systems.
And at least Street Guardian will be making a system with 2 small cameras on wires, and a headunit you can hide ( or not ) in your car.

BUT ! all that good stuff is somthing i expect we wont see before the tail end of this year, will be intersting to see what they come up with in the dashcam labs around the world.

There is some guy in here working in a roof mounted 360 camera, but many of us in here have a hard time with that for a host of reasons, never the less i am eager to see what he end up with.

Last edited:
Okay i think a fine tuned G-sensor might allso be triggered by a bus or truck passing by on the road, or maybe on the parking lot at the mall/ superstore.

But i still think this will mean a lot less false event recordings to go over.

But i do think its possible to set it so fine that when the dumbass parked next to you at the parking lot slam his dore into the side of your car, a event recording should start.

Its mostly those "mall dents" as i call them i am worried about, i never gotten any of my cars dinged up in the ends at a parking lot.

Wow, that's a lot of info, thanks!

I've realized my expectations were a bit lofty in my op. After having the car for a bit I've realized I'm mostly looking for a cam with the best parking mode. I just can't relax and even enjoy a meal out unless I can see my car the whole time. And forget going to the store, I'm a nervous wreck by the time I hit checkout.

So I guess what's most important is pre-buffered g-sensor AND pre-buffered motion detection. The longest it would need to record for, while the car is off, is probably a few hours. Mostly for going to the store, out to eat, maybe the occasional movie. Hardwiring isn't an issue, I'm completely comfortable with doing it myself.

Car get's locked into our shop at night with a great, 9 camera set-up, inside and out. So not worried about all night recording. I really want to get a cam installed asap. Price is not an issue, rather have one that does what I want/need consistently.

I decided to just get the SGZC12RC but it seems to be sold out everywhere I've looked. Anyone know where they might be in stock? I'm in the US. Thanks

All the Street Guardian products exept SG9665GC have prebuffered parking guard, i think with the SGZC12RC you can even leave it on while regular driving, that way you wond forget to enable it at your destination.

And you can get them all at Pier28 in Nevada, Jon ( the owner ) is running in and out the door to the postoffice all day.

There is allso others like Lukas/Quvia, they even do dualchannel cameras ( 1080P X 2 )

But they dont have the same no BS customer care and support, from the boss of "SG" to the sellers around the world you will find them all to be pretty active in here.
And to me thats a big thing you can allways reach out in that way :cool:

BTW Pier28 allso carry Lukas products now.

PS. i am in no way paied by pier28 or Street Guardian, i just know them from in here and we seem to be on the same wavelength :)

I Am testing for "SG" but the fact they send me a free camera to test now and then dont cut them any slack, if its BS they send me thats what i will call it ;) and i think they like it like that.

PPS. if you hit up Jon via his shop i am sure he will be willing to help you, but due to forum rules there is some things makers and sellers of cameras cant do, otherwise the forums would turn into one big commercial billbord.

I decided to just get the SGZC12RC but it seems to be sold out everywhere I've looked. Anyone know where they might be in stock? I'm in the US. Thanks

RC will be back in stock later this month. We just sold out again in North America.

Thanks for all the quick replies! I really appeciate it.

I was going to get the Thinkware F770, even pre-ordered one, but then the eta on delivery changed to the end of this month. Now my second choice won't be in stock until the same time. Starting to feel like the dashcam gods are out to get me.

So, either be patient, or get something I might not love. Ugh, I am very bad at being patient.

You should meet my friend, he goes totally ballistic if the post misplace somthing of his or it get delayed ( danish postal sorting facillety just failed so both he and i is waiting on things that should have been delivered on thursday )

My friend is really bad that way, if a brand new thing dont work just like he expected it, well then he will trow it on the floor and jump up and down on it like a little kid, and did i forget to mention he is 51 :rolleyes:

Waiting for a SG camera is not that bad, they must sell like hot cakes for a reason :)

If you have withdrawl symptoms you could get the cheap little mobius and experiment/play with that meanwhile, and after that it do make for a good litle back or side camera.
Or you can use it as a action camera and strap it to just about anything that can carry the fjew grams it weigh.

If you are in a hot state then the optional capasitor kit for the mobius is a must get if used for dashcam.

Any camera is better than no camera, and the mobius can be powered by a USB powerbank to allways record while you are out of the car, and a USB power bank is allways good to have for charging all those gizmos.

All the Street Guardian products exept SG9665GC have prebuffered parking guard, i think with the SGZC12RC you can even leave it on while regular driving, that way you wond forget to enable it at your destination.

Does this mean that in most cases, prebuffered park mode has to be enabled manually? Because I think I would actually prefer that.

I have never used parking guard much, but when i played a little with it on my lukas it sensed the camera had not moved for a while and so starded up parking guard ( motion and G-sensor what ever you had ON in the settings )
I think if you have to start it manual then it loose some of the value of the function.

what i think is the norm the camera sense the g sensore is beeing triggered all the time while driving, and so the camera assume you are driving and keep parking guard off and allways recording on, when you then park and leave the car after a fjew minutes the cameranot having sensed any motion it change from allways recording to parking mode.
And in parking mode it dont do anything, exept is there is a trigger on the motion or g-sensor, and the files created by either mode amt be deleted by the camera, you will have to do that manual on the camera or on the computer, but as far as protection against recycling if the card is full the event recordings are safe.

This then present another problem, cuz if you have more and more event files on your memory card then you will have less and less room for the allways recording and then recycling the old files when there is a need for more space to record on.
So say you have been parked for 4-5 houres in a place, and you have motion recording on as part of the parking guard, then every car passing buy and person or black cats and what not, so you might end up with a car creating motion event files for the whole time.
And so when you get back to your car to drive home there will be little room left for the regular allways recordings.

Thats the reason as to why i would never use motion detect on a dashcam, but a fine ajusted G-sensore i can do with, that should only get triggered if car is bumped, or maybe a huge truck or bus passing close by.
And i would still have to keep a close eye on the memorycard.
On my lukas you set asude some percentage of the memory card for event recordings and allways recordings, and thats a good way to make sure event files dont suffercate the memorycard, but still if you hav30% set aside for events, those will fill up fast in a envioement with a lot of triggers ( motion or G-sensor )

But you can offcourse enable / disable it as you please, not least if the camera is one with a menu you can acess via the screen or perhaps via a app and wifi.

Prebuffer is optimal as it say you get a fjew seconds recorded before the actual triggering avent, other cameras just start to record on the trigger event, so you might actually miss what triggered the event.

So say you have been parked for 4-5 houres in a place, and you have motion recording on as part of the parking guard, then every car passing buy and person or black cats and what not, so you might end up with a car creating motion event files for the whole time.
And so when you get back to your car to drive home there will be little room left for the regular allways recordings.

That's not how it works with my SGZC12RC. Only G-sensor triggered files are saved to the Events Folder. Files triggered by motion sensing are overwritten when the card is full, in the same fashion as loop-recorded files.

Okay so motion os not a event on the 12RC,thats allright by be, i really think its hard to weak motion detect to a lever where it trigger on the right things and not on all the other things going on around the parked car.
G-sensor is easy to weak at least in regard to while the car is parked.

Just an update. I couldn't wait for the SGZC12RC to get back in stock. Ended up ordering and installing a Matego Blazer MG600, which I'll switch to being a rear camera once I can get the Street Guardian version. From what I've read, the Matego isn't quite as good(video quality, firmware, etc.), but I figured for short term front cam use, and then for permanent rear cam use, it will do. Install was quite simple, hardwired with the Motopark Multi-safer.

I do have a question though, when I do get the SGZC12RC, can I just swap the camera and recording unit out with the Matego counterparts? I guess basically what I'm asking is do the two use the same power cord and usb cables? I don't want to have to remove the cables I've already run in the front if they are the same.

I'm looking forward to getting the SGZC12RC, signed up to be notified via email when it's back in stock at Pier28. Hope it's soon!

Im sure the MG600 will make for a fine rear camera :)

Back