Polarizing filter for DR500GW-HD

I would have preferred to thread the inside of the PVC pipe, but didn't have the tools for that... I trimmed just enough away for the filter to press fit tightly.
The night video isn't too bad at night, but definitely darker... only takes a second to remove/replace

mjgood said:
I would have preferred to thread the inside of the PVC pipe, but didn't have the tools for that... I trimmed just enough away for the filter to press fit tightly.
The night video isn't too bad at night, but definitely darker... only takes a second to remove/replace

What tools would you used if you had them?

Either a Tap or a Lathe to cut the correct thread into the inside of the PVC pipe... I may make an aluminium housing for the filter in the future as a 'rainy day project'...

mjgood said:
Either a Tap or a Lathe to cut the correct thread into the inside of the PVC pipe... I may make an aluminium housing for the filter in the future as a 'rainy day project'...

Cool. It's nice to have skills. I can admire that. It's great to have your own machine shop or access to one. I have been following this thread and enjoying your posts and seeing what you have done. Thanks.

I have adjusted my polarising lens, just about for it right but too hard I think, as it gets dark and cloudy it is too dark I think.

wozzzzza said:
I have adjusted my polarising lens, just about for it right but too hard I think, as it gets dark and cloudy it is too dark I think.

you that's one of the downsides to this filter, that is why it isn't commonly offered with camera lenses or comes permanently attached.

For me however, it is good because I get daylight from somewhere between 3:30Am and 12:00AM in the summer time. In the winter time however there is only 4-5hours of daylight and I plan to pop the lens off for the winter.

Another think I'm planning to do is Mark the adjusting ring around the filter. I'll mark it for optimum position during day time and another mark for night time. So if I am driving at night I can just move to ring to night mark and drive.

What filter do you have Jsan?

jsan said:
Check out the screen shots below with the filter on.

zNtL0Bv.jpg

HFhCnPg.jpg
Hi,

what settings did you use for these images?
My videos are dark but the sun was very bright.

Mine looks like this:
dark3f10c04apng.png

Heocon said:
jsan said:
B20RRL said:
What filter do you have Jsan?

I used a Polaroid Optics 43mm CPL Circular Polarizer Filter http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003UST ... UTF8&psc=1

You can use a non-brand name one as well for less money http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009MJ0 ... UTF8&psc=1

Can you post the picture of your CPL filter installed in your camera? I can not know how do you can use 43mm filter for the BV camera

I'll get a picture for you later on today. Basically I just positioned the CPL filter on the dashcam's lens. Then I applied a small amount of JB weld to each side to hold it down. And now it is solid as a rock.

My initial plan was make the filter removable, but I didn't have time for the whole process. So I just made it semi-permanent. I can still take it off by removing the JB weld.

I don't think there is a reason to remove it, since you can just turn the filter to a different position for night recording. I have marked 2 locations on the lens, for day and night recording. it literaly takes 1 second to adjust the ring and you're set.

However you can also follow instructions below:
mjgood said:
I used a 30.5mm filter, that was the smallest I could go and keep the edge of the ring from showing in the picture.. I did need to grind the front lip down to keep it out of camera view, see the difference between the first and second pics.
I used a piece of 1" PVC pipe that I shaped to fit the camera, which I painted to match the camera.
The chrome ring around the lens was causing a reflection inside the filter, it pops off very easily, I ground the face of it flat and painted it flat black.
The filter is almost flush against the lens.
The day quality is very good, completely removed the reflection... night time is too dark, the PVC is trimmed on the inside to allow the filter to pop off.

30.5mm CPL
Filter as purchased from Amazon.com

Pic 2
Filter with the front ground smooth

Pic 3

dashuser said:
jsan said:
Hi,

what settings did you use for these images?
My videos are dark but the sun was very bright.

Mine looks like this:
dark3f10c04apng.png

all my settings are default in the custom firmware. I can see from your screenshot that you have not adjusted the CPL filter. Remember your goal is to eliminate or reduce the glare on the windshield. You can see your dash vents in the windshield along with other reflections.

So you need to have the dashcam on live view on your phone or computer via wifi. And as you are watching the live video, adjust your Polarizer filter by rotating it CW or CCW. As you are rotating it, the reflections in your windshield should begin to fade. and keep rotating until best position is achieved. You might not be able to get rid of them completely, but it will make a difference, also depends on the sun and its position to your windshield.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have a filter on the camera.
Its just the normal standard lens without any changing.

I adjusted
AECB=3
to
AECB=5

Now it's seems to be brighter.
But I wonder if you didn't had that problem ...
Your picture is much brighter than mine.

Here is one more video which I made today (with setting AECB=3):
http://youtu.be/8bFsjEYIhcE

I see but 30.5mm filter is ok but 43mm is too hard to mount in to the camera len

Heocon said:
I see but 30.5mm filter is ok but 43mm is too hard to mount in to the camera len

I have a 52 mm CPL mounted using a step-up ring. I keep 52mm UV/Haze filter mounted on my rear window camera. Both are Lukas LK-7900 ACE cameras.

dashuser said:
I do not have a filter on the camera.
Its just the normal standard lens without any changing.

I adjusted
AECB=3
to
AECB=5

Now it's seems to be brighter.
But I wonder if you didn't had that problem ...
Your picture is much brighter than mine.

Here is one more video which I made today (with setting AECB=3):
http://youtu.be/8bFsjEYIhcE

Try turn your camera's angle a little bit donw, your picture will be brigghter

Jsan : still watting your picture of blackvue camera with 43 mm cpl filter. Tks

Heocon said:
jbas5A9.jpg

I'm gonna mount it some other way, so that the filter is removable.

is that a radar detector under it??

jsan said:
Heocon said:
jbas5A9.jpg

I'm gonna mount it some other way, so that the filter is removable.

Ok. Tks, I know the way to do it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
erewhon DR500GW-HD 193
Back