Polarizing filter for DR500GW-HD

Hillbilly , each to their own so not saying you are wrong in your thoughts but for me, after using the DR500 the first day I got it, I noticed just how terrible the image it was capturing was, the more trees in the seen the more quality went down hill, if these DR500's were only in the price range of $US 60 then no complaints from me, but these DR500 are at the top end of the price scale and as standard (for me) the image quality just wasn't there till I got Mio's FW update, now can't wait to get the next update that should also have the auto exposure working properly

mollydog said:
Hillbilly , each to their own so not saying you are wrong in your thoughts but for me, after using the DR500 the first day I got it, I noticed just how terrible the image it was capturing was, the more trees in the seen the more quality went down hill, if these DR500's were only in the price range of $US 60 then no complaints from me, but these DR500 are at the top end of the price scale and as standard (for me) the image quality just wasn't there till I got Mio's FW update, now can't wait to get the next update that should also have the auto exposure working properly

Its probably because you live in a forested damp foggy country ROFL

Here in the great brown country where I live its not like that so we dont have the varied light conditions as much.

Further south where Wozzzzzzza lives it is more like that but up here in the Sunshine state it is how bright and sunny it gets that matters LOL.

Every one to their own. Its the same with cars here. People buy them and have to immediately pull them to pieces and illegally modify them.

I just look around and buy what I think is good and be happy with it. I dont overclock my computer I just buy a better faster one.

Same with cameras The dashcams are fine for what they do I have a Sony HD camcorder for holidays and a Nikon D300 for stills..

It seems Pittasoft have adopted an attitude of not providing firmware updates as they used to.

They also tell porkies as they told me the Korean version could not be made to speak English Well they have been proved wrong in that.

Im not against updating but what I was meaning that some want to use them for uses for which they are not designed and then would probably moan that they are useless. Well we probably knew that didnt we.

totally agree with you on both point being, you live in a nice and hot country, my son was there over christmas and didn't want to come home and the other thing you are right about is that these DVR cameras are not movie cameras and if one wanted an in car camera for capturing a road trip then I think likes of the GoPro are what's needed,

what made the images the DR500 took look bad was I also had/have the F70 Dash Cam, the Multi-Channel Dash Cams. that was a cheap under £40 and was only 720 HD, I took some footage side by side and the images from the cheap F70 put the DR500 to shame, that was till Mio had the FW upgrade, the images from the DR500 are now a bit better than the F70 but what still lets down the DR500 is the auto exposure, and hopefully Mio will sort that out too

this time of year is supposed to be your winter, I bet your winter is hotter than our summers :)

mollydog said:
totally agree with you on both point being, you live in a nice and hot country, my son was there over christmas and didn't want to come home and the other thing you are right about is that these DVR cameras are not movie cameras and if one wanted an in car camera for capturing a road trip then I think likes of the GoPro are what's needed,

what made the images the DR500 took look bad was I also had/have the F70 Dash Cam, the Multi-Channel Dash Cams. that was a cheap under £40 and was only 720 HD, I took some footage side by side and the images from the cheap F70 put the DR500 to shame, that was till Mio had the FW upgrade, the images from the DR500 are now a bit better than the F70 but what still lets down the DR500 is the auto exposure, and hopefully Mio will sort that out too

this time of year is supposed to be your winter, I bet your winter is hotter than our summers :)

Its cold today and is 17C Due for 9C tonite. I come from NZ where at 10pm last night was 2C

wozzzzza said:
not really impressed with first testing of this polarised filter. like putting sunglasses on, useless.

with the following videos, click the "close to play" button, not the big play button when you goto the site.
with filter going north - http://videobam.com/obNou
with filter going south soon after same stretch of road - http://videobam.com/djMRH
no filter - http://videobam.com/frejc

as you can see, im not impressed. anyone got any reason for such darkness in full day light??

I think, you have wrong adjustment in direction for the len ( have you adjust the len for right position before you fix it??? )

Last edited by a moderator:
Heocon said:
wozzzzza said:
not really impressed with first testing of this polarised filter. like putting sunglasses on, useless.

with the following videos, click the "close to play" button, not the big play button when you goto the site.
with filter going north - http://videobam.com/obNou
with filter going south soon after same stretch of road - http://videobam.com/djMRH
no filter - http://videobam.com/frejc

as you can see, im not impressed. anyone got any reason for such darkness in full day light??

I think, you have wrong adjustment in direction for the len ( have you adjust the len for right position before you fix it??? )
whats the difference??

Last edited by a moderator:
filter removes correctly, only one position
Remove the filter and rotate it and you will see how to go glare
or direct to the screen LSD and rotate

Mio said:
filter removes correctly, only one position
Remove the filter and rotate it and you will see how to go glare
or direct to the screen LSD and rotate

That is right. tks Mio

ok cool, weird but I will give it a try, had no idea a lens was position sensitive

wozzzzza said:
ok cool, weird but I will give it a try, had no idea a lens was position sensitive
ts not the lens but the polarizing filter changes as you rotate it

When using one on a camera you rotate it to get different effects.

Have had a problem wearing polarized sunglasses looking at a small screen that had the polarized glass put in sideways. I couldnt see through it but if I turned my head 90deg I could

yup you definitely have to rotate the filter to achieve the results.

I just held the filter up to the camera lens and rotated it until the reflection was gone.

Here you can see the reflection of the parking passes. The filter cancels out the reflection in the windshield

Uhj4Pok.jpg

jsan said:
yup you definitely have to rotate the filter to achieve the results.

I just held the filter up to the camera lens and rotated it until the reflection was gone.

Here you can see the reflection of the parking passes. The filter cancels out the reflection in the windshield

Uhj4Pok.jpg

Hooray someone has woken up to the basic fault of what everyone has not been doing.

As per my last post thats how Polarizing filters work.

Makes a difference when used properly

Hillbilly said:
Hooray someone has woken up to the basic fault of what everyone has not been doing.

As per my last post thats how Polarizing filters work.

Makes a difference when used properly

Yea I got couple of these filters with my Canon 60D. I don't usually use the polarizers with my camera, but I thought I'd try and see how it looks on this dashcam. And I have all the 43mm + filter Lenses and they all have adjustment rings on them like they're supposed to.

I don't know what other people here ordered, I'm sure they also must have adjustment rings on them.

Anyways I've ordered some stuff that hasn't arrived yet. I'll see how it looks once its attached.

yeah mine had an adjustment ring before I removed the lens from it as wouldn't fit the camera otherwise.
will try later on when I get time one day to get it working again.

hey that is soo cool its weird. I just sitting here twisting my lens and its going from almost clear to almost cant see through it, never seen anything like it, and I have never done any photography either.

Check out the screen shots below with the filter on.

zNtL0Bv.jpg

HFhCnPg.jpg

jsan said:
Check out the screen shots below with the filter on.

Thats looks so nice, may i know what kind of filter and how you attach it on your dvr?

I used a 30.5mm filter, that was the smallest I could go and keep the edge of the ring from showing in the picture.. I did need to grind the front lip down to keep it out of camera view, see the difference between the first and second pics.
I used a piece of 1" PVC pipe that I shaped to fit the camera, which I painted to match the camera.
The chrome ring around the lens was causing a reflection inside the filter, it pops off very easily, I ground the face of it flat and painted it flat black.
The filter is almost flush against the lens.
The day quality is very good, completely removed the reflection... night time is too dark, the PVC is trimmed on the inside to allow the filter to pop off.

30.5mm CPL
Filter as purchased from Amazon.com

Pic 2
Filter with the front ground smooth

Pic 3

Mjgood, nice craftsmanship!
So you just pop the filter off when driving at night?

Back