Police van pulls out in front of me BIG TIME

Everybody makes mistakes....even the police. It's not a job ending error, nor is it an error that would get them suspended. Its simply a mistake, it happens. When you are driving the company car, whether it's a police car or a pizza delivery car, you should take care to remember that you represent the organization in the manner that you operate and take heed, but the simple fact is that it's still operated by human beings...and people do make mistakes. When mistakes happen, we hope for the best, when they take a bad bad turn, we face the consequences. Somehow though, when we get a dash cam and post these videos coupled with the anonymity of the Internet, we become so much better than the average joe...we criticize, armchair quarterback and become a moral superiority of self righteous bull**** about how perfect someone should be....if they make this little mistake than they can't be trusted with anything...look at me, how perfect I am and how bad the other guy is....we should do this with the video or do that...lets stir the pot and make a huge production out of someone making a minor traffic error. We should all just admit that we could all do a little better behind the wheel as well as behind the keyboard. Save the videos for significant events...posting a video of someone pulling out in front of you? If I saved those and red light runners, I'd have thousands of hours. Hitting a Cow in the road...post it. Plane crashes into your hood....post it. Plane crashing into a cow and caught on dash cam? Post it.
Can any of us say we have never ran a light or a sign, cut someone off or pulled out without checking up or screwed up behind the wheel? Time for us to get over it and off of our moral high horses.

Off course we all make mistakes while driving,none of us is "sin free" or "mistake free".Some of us make bigger,some of smaller traffic violation or mistakes.I agree we criticize,maybe,even too much,but I think that we,at least some of us(dashcam owners),love to watch dashcam videos and present examples for other drivers to not make that kind of moves or acts like the ones in our dashcam videos.That's not only to criticizing someone only but for people to learn and see what mistakes shouldnt do.Most dangerous situations I expirienced where before I bought my dashcam.Some of the crashes I had,maybe even free me from guilt if I had a dashcam than.

I did have one of a cow flying a plane that crashed on landing but forgot to post it, it is only that so much social media exists these days, I think you are in a minority as there are millions worldwide and that's what the internet is these days that will find the normal interesting for example I am fascinated by roundabouts, in the uk like our magic roundabout and other countries, and naturally people will comment good or bad accurate or not, agree or not it doesn't matter it is only words, I was in a unusual bump that caused very minimal damage and only "posted" video of event when other party claimed it had wrote off their 1 year old car, it broke the number plate on my car by comparison the bumper hit was so minor it flexed out again, so good job I kept the evidence, and DIDN'T mention it.
I love video for accountability, years ago people every one thought really wouldn't do bad things or lie are now held to account, maybe the mere thought of a cam might make them more honest, I have always had the idea a person is best judged not by the mistakes they make but how they deal with those mistakes.
Two sides to every coin and all that, keep safe.

Last edited:
Everybody makes mistakes....even the police. It's not a job ending error, nor is it an error that would get them suspended.
I see you are posting from the US, do remember this clip is from the UK. Things may be done differently here and it is as I said earlier, this might not be the first time this driver has done something like this. The drivers superiors may indeed want to take further action but that would be for them to decide.

Its simply a mistake, it happens. When you are driving the company car, whether it's a police car or a pizza delivery car, you should take care to remember that you represent the organization in the manner that you operate and take heed, but the simple fact is that it's still operated by human beings...and people do make mistakes.
Agreed, however, it is the magnitude of the mistake that is important.

Somehow though, when we get a dash cam and post these videos coupled with the anonymity of the Internet, we become so much better than the average joe...we criticize, armchair quarterback and become a moral superiority of self righteous bull**** about how perfect someone should be
It's hardly anonymous considering I've sent the link to Cumbria Police along with my name, address, etc. I'm just waiting for a response. Of course nobody is perfect, I don't think anyone on DCT would ever claim to be (unless they were a troll).

if they make this little mistake than they can't be trusted with anything...look at me, how perfect I am and how bad the other guy is....we should do this with the video or do that...lets stir the pot and make a huge production out of someone making a minor traffic error. We should all just admit that we could all do a little better behind the wheel...
It's not a "little mistake". Again, this could be where our cultures have differences. Perhaps you are used to seeing this kind of driving from your local police officers? Perhaps you don't care and are quite happy to tolerate this standard of driving? Most people in the UK (and who have posted in this thread so far) would probably agree that it is not an acceptable standard. Had it been me that pulled out on the police van doing 60MPH, I'd have probably been pulled over and prosecuted for either careless or dangerous driving, both very serious offences in the UK.

Had someone been tailgating me when I hit the brakes (very common practice here), it could have been quite the smash up. One mistake is a problem, two mistakes by two different drivers and you can easily have a crash on your hands. Again, nobody is claiming to be a perfect driver, I'm not sure where you have got this idea from? You could argue that I saw the van approaching the junction and because of my gut feeling that it might not stop, I should have backed off the throttle and have been more prepared. The UK Highway Code itself does state that drivers should anticipate the mistakes of others and react to them before these things happen in the first place. Then again, me slowing down might have caused an impatient driver behind me to overtake, thus creating an even more dangerous situation.

Given the speeds and distances, I was confident my car would stop in time if the van pulled out on me. As you can see in the video, I had plenty of time and I wasn't even fully on the brakes, I could have braked even harder if i needed to. That car has fairly new brakes all round and four very good premium tyres fitted. Since it was a police van though, I expected a competent driver behind the wheel who, given all the visibility in the world, should have given way. Our police drivers are trained above and beyond our already very stringent driving test, even the regular ones who drive slow diesel vans. Had this just been some random member of the public I wouldn't have posted it up on its own, it would've just become fodder for a compilation video (which at the rate I'm going at will never happen anyway).

...as well as behind the keyboard. Save the videos for significant events...posting a video of someone pulling out in front of you? If I saved those and red light runners, I'd have thousands of hours. Hitting a Cow in the road...post it. Plane crashes into your hood....post it. Plane crashing into a cow and caught on dash cam? Post it.
It sounds like half the stuff in this section would be classed as insignificant events by you, people still like to watch them. What on Earth gives you the right to say what other people should and shouldn't post to the internet? If it interests you, watch it and be merry. If not, move along, watch something else.

Can any of us say we have never ran a light or a sign, cut someone off or pulled out without checking up or screwed up behind the wheel? Time for us to get over it and off of our moral high horses.
Again, not sure where you are getting this idea from. Nobody on here is claiming to be perfect... Things happen in front of dashcams and they get posted online, it is as simple as that.

Peoples is people ! So that means that no matter the station in life you hold , the clothes you wear , or your occupation !
Peoples is capable of stupid !

Since it was a police van though, I expected a competent driver behind the wheel who, given all the visibility in the world, should have given way. Our police drivers are trained above and beyond our already very stringent driving test, even the regular ones who drive slow diesel vans.
Not convinced about that, a van could be anyone working for the Police, doesn't need to be a constable, could be a cleaner, forensics, dog handler, etc. , none of which need any special driver training. We do expect a high standard of behaviour from anyone displaying the word "Police" though, this person didn't.

The big issue here for me is the location, he/she joins a 60 mph road with traffic moving in both directions and forced you to brake fairly heavily (difficult to judge how hard from the video), had you tried to swerve around him/her to avoid a collision there was a car coming the other way so a potential 120mph head on collision and deaths. It was not a place for anyone to be taking risks and reporting them to their employer is perfectly reasonable. Probably not much point reporting them to the police, it doesn't look close enough for them to bring charges, but most UK people would support reporting them to their employer.

Given the speeds and distances, I was confident my car would stop in time if the van pulled out on me. As you can see in the video, I had plenty of time and I wasn't even fully on the brakes, I could have braked even harder if i needed to.

Then what exactly is your complaint? You boast that you had time...not just time..but plenty of time. Plenty of braking to go...I could have braked even harder if I wanted...given the speed and distance, I was confident.

Sounds completely harrowing....

Report if you want, it's your right and no one can stop you in your pursuit of justice and perfection....just make sure to include the fact that it appears you had plenty of time, room and it didn't really effect you much at all.

Then what exactly is your complaint? You boast that you had time...not just time..but plenty of time. Plenty of braking to go...I could have braked even harder if I wanted...given the speed and distance, I was confident.

Sounds completely harrowing....
My complaint is that the driver of a law enforcement vehicle which had perfect visibility should not have pulled out in front of me and the rest of the traffic traveling at the speed limit of 60MPH and causing myself and multiple others to unnecessarily brake hard, wasting fuel, time and adding wear to the brakes themselves, as well as creating a hazard to myself and everyone else in the vicinity, on a road that is well known to be a killer. Harrowing no, but disgusting and unacceptable, yes. Thank you for your opinion though, it is clear that this level of driving is perfectly acceptable to you.

Report if you want, it's your right and no one can stop you in your pursuit of justice and perfection...
Yet again, you make wrongful assumptions about what I want... You obviously missed (or ignored) this, right at the start of my last post:
The drivers superiors may indeed want to take further action but that would be for them to decide.
In other words, I wanted to bring this to their attention and I have done that. What happens next, if anything, is up to them. If they do nothing it will at least be on record and I will consider it case closed.

I expect more of officers of the law, and the way the system are supposed to work, i think i am right in doing so.
And that's why it is such a let down when you see one of them mess up in some way, be that a little thing like this unfortunate display of poor judgment, or being on the take.
I feel the same towards the democratic elected people making the laws, when i feel they fail me, i feel so bad, and sadly i get that feeling so often i don't even dare to see or hear one of those.

I also feel bad thinking about how stupid i myself have been, and i also feel bad when i see my fellow man around me being selfish douche bags and lawbreaking idiots that really don't giving a damn about that.

Make me feel fortunate i don't have any kids myself, cuz really in spite of gigantic technological progress being made in the past decades it is as if that just amplify the stupid in a lot of people.
And what should have made the world a better place, well that is not how things work, or it work to a much lesser degree than one would have hoped.

I expect more of officers of the law, and the way the system are supposed to work, i think i am right in doing so.

I totally agree. The problem here is that Police are so underpaid that almost any other career is a better option than being a daily target for violence. This reduces the pool of prospective LE Officers to only the laziest and worst people imaginable so you end up with things like the OP is about. Two days ago one of our local deputies was arrested for DUI. A month before a town's Chief was pulled over in his personal car for speeding 70 MPH in a 25MPH zone. About a year ago a Highway Patrolman crashed into a minivan in an intersection during a pursuit which he could have avoided doing according to many witnesses- they let him off the hook because the minivan was turning tight on red and thus had to yield to everyone else. Not one month goes by without a news report of some Cop within 50 miles of me having committed a crime of a nature that any decent citizen could have and would have easily avoided :( It will not improve until the people demand that it be improved, which they will not do :eek:

Much of the reason I have dashcams is to protect me from the Police here- a very sad statement of what this society has become :cry:

Phil

I think a Danish cop make a okay salary, on average a male cop earn 31.500 DKkr ( 4600 USD ) a month, but i think that's before tax.
Still more than i ever made in any job.

But yeah also here you can earn more in a skilled job, and i even think you can get up there with the cops in a well paid unskilled job.

Danish cops are not really in danger of taking fire like American cops, far more likely they crash their car chasing some one.

Latest news here about failing cops i think was two of them getting free big game hunting trips to Africa by the guy they had been investigating in a fraud case.

But yeah i know they are just humans like the rest of us, and i am pretty sure if you ask the majority of Danish cops if he would buy a nice LG 65" OLED TV for 4000 DKkr ( retail around 20.000 ) i am sure they would say yes.
Also sure some of them will buy some funny tobacco or cocaine to spice up that party in the weekend.

Many jobs ( even mundane ones ) here you will have to take a drug test once in a while, but you don't have to do that as a cop or politician, which are a thing i find highly disturbing as i would not like either of them working for me while high.

It is sad Americans feel they need a "cop cam" that's not even a consideration here, though i am trying hard to get the cops to pull me over again so i can get a recording of them.

Well, it's finally time for an update.

My opinion is that the best and most reasonable outcome for this has been actioned. I won't name anyone but I will share the most relevant details.

After submitting my complaint via Cumbria Police's website, I was eventually contacted by a local Complaints and Misconduct Manager from the Professional Standards Department. This person was my contact for all correspondence during the entire complaints procedure. My contact was very polite and certainly sounded as though both them and the department were taking my complaint quite seriously. I also sent them a link to the raw unedited footage complete with audio that I did not want on YouTube.

The driver was identified due to a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) being served on the registered keeper of the vehicle, requiring them to identify the driver at relevant time and date. The registered keeper responded, although, given that it was a police vehicle, they're not likely going to break the law by refusing. The driver was identified as a police officer who was then interviewed under caution at a local police station by the same Complaints and Misconducts Manager that I was in correspondence with.

The officer accepts that they made an error of judgement, believing that they had plenty of time to clear the junction without causing danger to others, but, fully accepts that this was not the case. The officer only has approximately 2 years driving experience and is not authorised to respond to any IR (Immediate Response) incidents. There were multiple IR incidents in progress at the time which the officer says may have affected their decisions. From my point of view though, their vehicle did not seem to be in any sort of a hurry!

The officer will attend a 3 week advanced driving course with the intention of improving their general driving ability and also perhaps offering them the training required to respond to IR incidents. The officer also asked the manager to pass on their apologies to myself "for conduct that did not reach the standard a reasonable person could expect from a serving Police Officer ".

So, a black mark on their record and some intensive training which will hopefully turn an officer with little driving experience into an officer that will be better equipped to serve the community. I can't really ask for more than that, can I?

Last edited:
Back