Portable USB Charger.

Sweguy

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Dash Cam
Jokiins GS-1000 cam and DVR-207
I hope this will work as i want it to work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-2600mA ... 4ac346c138

If i plug this in between the dashcam and the power source. Will it still charge the USB battery while i drive with the cam connected to it. So i can have the cam on motion dectection on and know the cam will record if something happend if i leave the car for for couple of hours? Would like to have a solution like this becuse my gf loves IKEA and im tired of people bumping in to my extra headlight and bending the stabilizer struts.

http://lukashd.com/eng/product_info/power_lock_3.html

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ANYPOWER-T- ... 0825589211

Any good?

If your dash cam will power from 5V... I know for sure the Energizer XP2000 will do the job you want, I have tested it on my desk pulling the power source in and out and it works like a UPS.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0029U2WWI/? ... B0029U2WWI

Concerning the one you linked to.. you'll have to ask the seller if it can charge and power the device at the same time and if the power is cut then does the battery kick in (UPS).

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know, its Jokiins cam im gona order, and it based on GS-1000 and it has usb charging so i think it will charge with USB. But gona email the seller and see.

The XP2000A looks nice. The other one is to expensiv, i wanted a easy solution so i dont need to to take down the dashboard to take a new cable from the battery to the ciggarette lighter.

The Lukas you can fit without wiring it in, they even suggest that as an installation method (scroll down above link). Cheaper than the tpower too.

Comes with some Velcro too, probably stick on side of centre console.

Not huge either.

I'm probably getting this one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I use this USB battery pack with 808 DR32 and EPrance GS1000 cams, both cams record while connected and it does not switch off when they are fully charged and continues to work while the battery itself is charging.

If you want to use it as UPS you need to make sure it charges faster than the current drawn by the camera(s). With both cams connected on the test I did it actually lost charge slowly but was only connected via a 1 amp adapter; the unit supports 2 amp charging but I haven't tried it yet.

I also tried it with a clone GS1000 but that one switches to file transfer mode, so it all depends how the pins are connected.

I read the battery only has a limited number of cycles, so I'm not sure how suited these are to UPS. I just use mine occasionally if I park somewhere iffy.

andrew73 said:
I use this USB battery pack with 808 DR32 and EPrance GS1000 cams, both cams record while connected and it does not switch off when they are fully charged and continues to work while the battery itself is charging.

If you want to use it as UPS you need to make sure it charges faster than the current drawn by the camera(s). With both cams connected on the test I did it actually lost charge slowly but was only connected via a 1 amp adapter; the unit supports 2 amp charging but I haven't tried it yet.

I also tried it with a clone GS1000 but that one switches to file transfer mode, so it all depends how the pins are connected.

I read the battery only has a limited number of cycles, so I'm not sure how suited these are to UPS. I just use mine occasionally if I park somewhere iffy.
That is exactly what im looking for, need it just at when parking at IKEA and big stores like that.

andrew73 said:

Spot on mate.

Cycles will be something like 500 with capacity >80%. Just buy a new one every 18 months if using everyday.

Surprised 2 cams are more than 1A, must be only just. Could try and charge quicker as you said or have one battery per cam.

With 1 cam this will do parking mode for decently long parks ie at least 16 hours.

Unfortunately my Lukas camera does its regulation internally so needs a minimum of 8v in, means I have to buy a laptop emergency charger or one of the special black box ones.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Jazzist said:
Surprised 2 cams are more than 1A, must be only just.

Yeah, more likely it's a problem with the charging rate I need to do some more tests to see what's happening. I'll try it with one cam next time just to check it's actually charging while providing power, and report back. Anyhow it does the job I wanted it for.

How long can we record with a 10000 ma external battery pack when the car is parked ? Thanks.

Back