Possible problem with dual mini 0806 setup?

RavenManiac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, mini 0806 (RIP)
Recently, I've been having a problem with one of my two Mini 0806s. Most of the time I see the flashing red light and everything is fine. But recently I'll find that one is recording and the other just shows a blue light (no green). Most of the time it's the rear mounted unit which is powered through a 25' USB power cable, but occasionally it's the front camera. If I power off and immediately power on the device it'll start recording again.

Here's what I'm using to power both devices:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0077PM3KG
To me, this sounds like some sort of power issue. I thought that a dual 10w, 2.1 amp adapter would be enough but perhaps I need to upgrade to a 12w, 2.4 amp adapter. Or perhaps the Scosche adapter I have has an issue. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

For what it's worth I'm also finding that both mini 0806 units are missing gps data. In other words, although I have a full set of videos I don't have a matching set of gps data. And yes, both cameras are unobstructed.

try using the included power adapter and see how it behaves

could also swap the cameras front to rear and see if the problem moves with the camera or not

Okay, will do. Out of curiosity, how much power should each camera draw?

How does a 25' USB cable factor into the rear mini 0806's power requirements?

I haven't noticed any failures of my 0806 recently. I put that down to installing decent quality cables. I did later buy a decent 12V to USB power unit, but I think it's the cables that made the difference. It may be something as simple as the micro USB plug fitting snugly.

@RavenManiac

from my experience it is card writing problem. please format the microSD card every month.

Okay, will do. Out of curiosity, how much power should each camera draw?

5V 450mA.
it is better to use a power supply which provide above 1A.

Okay, I think I figured out the problem. I just measured the voltage going to both cameras via the Scosche USBC202M adapter. The front voltage was 5v. The rear was 3.3v. Not sure if this is because of a defective adapter or the 25' USB cable. Any thoughts?

Hmm. Just got off the phone with Scosche technical support. Before I exchange the adapter, they suggested I try the other port with the 25' Monoprice cable to ensure the cable is not having an issue. Good idea.

Okay, I just tested the cable and it's fine, but I am confused about this.

When I pull the adapter out and measure both ports I'm getting 5v. When I put it back and measure the power running through both Monoprice USB cables (one 5', the other 25'), I'm still getting 5v. However, when I attached the front dashcam, the rear power cable drops to 3.5v. But, when I attached the rear dashcam, the front power cable is still consistent at 5v. Switching the ports makes no difference at all. Does that make any sense to anyone?

To me, it sounds like the adapter is cable of generating a 5v, but not under load, but why is only the rear cable being affected? BTW, this setup has been running fine since July so whatever is happening is recent.

In the end, I need to decide whether I should purchase another Scosche USBC202M, one of its higher rated adapters, like the USBC242M (12W/4.8A) or another brand altogether. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Could this be a weird situation where devices negotiate over USB to determine the power available?
Maybe the long cable is power only, and no data, so has no effect.

Do both cameras have the same effect when using an identical cable and port?
e.g. if you swap the cameras around keeping everything else the same, do the symptoms change?

Could this be a weird situation where devices negotiate over USB to determine the power available?
Maybe the long cable is power only, and no data, so has no effect.

Do both cameras have the same effect when using an identical cable and port?
e.g. if you swap the cameras around keeping everything else the same, do the symptoms change?

Good question, but way above my technical expertise. :)

I haven't tried swapping the cameras. I kinda feel like the more I mess with these micro USB cables the more of a chance I'll screw one up. :)

best idea is bypass that power setup and use the included power leads temporarily as a test, even if that means cables running across the floor or whatever, if it works fine like that then you definitely have power issues rather than camera issues and should think about a better power supply

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the adapter. Now, I just need to figure out whether to exchange the one I have or get a different brand. If anyone has any suggestions on a specific brand or item please post it here.

I just ordered another Scosche USBC202M adapter. Im hoping it was just an adapter failure.

[UPDATE]
I decided to cancel that order and I'm thinking about getting a Scosche USBC242M instead, which delivers 12W and 2.4A per port. Would that be overkill? Does anyone know what the original power adapter is rated?

Last edited:
@RavenManiac,
please post a picture of your original power adapter

Back