Possible to hook up "front" dash cam to "rear?"

ILA22

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello Everyone,
I'm new here and looking to install my first dash cam. I haven't been able to find any dual dash cams. Right now I am looking at one from Aliexpress i1000 or the gs8000L. The i1000 dual dash cam's rear camera isn't that great quality so I am wondering if it is possible to just buy 2 front windshield dash cams and install one in the back? I have a 2014 Ford Explorer. Thanks in advance!

2 cams is no issue, I'd look at better models though, both that you're looking at now are problem models

Agree with Jokiin. One of the benefits of this web site is the great reviews and comments from the experienced users.
Think about the features you want and then take the time to look in the other sections that compare the cameras. You will be happier if you buy a good/reliable camera.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I don`t want to pay anything more than $100 right now. I am looking for 1080p, G-sensor, and GPS if possible, and auto-start. It`s difficult to decide but besides a blackvue I havent seen any good dual cams and I heard blackvues rear cam quality is indecent.

If you are looking for HD quality (1080P/1296P), G sensor and GPS at under $100.00, maybe take a look at the popular Mini 0801? Or the Mini 0803? Both of these cams have lots of support on this forum and if you run into any problems, someone will have an answer for you. I know the Mini 0803 with GPS is slightly over that price with, but the better video quality is worth it.

Kelvin

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking for HD quality (1080P/1296P), G sensor and GPS at under $100.00, maybe take a look at the popular Mini 0801? Or the Mini 0803? Both of these cams have lots of support on this forum and if you run into any problems, someone will have an answer for you. I know the Mini 0803 with GPS is slightly over that price with, but the better video quality is worth it.

Kelvin
Isn't the 1296p on the 0803 upscaled 1080p?

there are numerous dual camera set ups available, i have the blackvue dr550gw-2ch which is 1080p30 infront and 720p30 in rear and i got it for $343 on amazon in the US with a 16gb card and the power magic pro to hardwire it with a safety switch. but meh the front camera is nice enough, but the rear camera is not that great of quality and hard to read license plates. the first one i got was defective but this new one ive used for over 2 weeks and its perfect ... SO far.

if you dont need it hard wired i know some users here like the mobius a lot and you can just use two of those but you are still gonna end up spending $200.

there isnt going to be anything decent for $100 with two cameras.

but it really depends on your needs. if you dont need it in parking mode (in parking mode sometimes i park with my front facing out just to point the better camera towards the driving lanes) and only want it for WHEN you are driving then you dont need as good of quality. if you want to get a cheap dual lense set up, and only need it while you are actively driving, if you get into an accident take note of the license plate right away, on audio recording if your camera records audio in your car cabin.

i think the issue is a lot of users here like me want to be able to see the plates clearly even in parking mode or in the dark, but more then likely you arent going to have a hit and run especially when you are in your car, if you JUST need it for a typical car accident, such as getting t boned by someone running a stop sign, and dont worry so much about a hit and run, then a cheap camera may suit your needs, as long as you can see what is actually happening in the video.

Take a look at my early thread (search my handle)...I used 2 identical cams for front & rear per car, in 4 cars...I agree w/ other comments that u have to increase u'r cost factor however.

Two G1WH will be under $100 easily.

Thanks guys. After going through this forum I am stuck on which cams to get. The Mobius or the A118 or G1W-C. Please help me decide. I MUST have a parking mode on it. Prefer GPS but not crazy for it.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I don`t want to pay anything more than $100 right now. I am looking for 1080p, G-sensor, and GPS if possible, and auto-start. It`s difficult to decide but besides a blackvue I havent seen any good dual cams and I heard blackvues rear cam quality is indecent.

If you're limited in cash, I suggest the best single dashcam you can afford now for the front and wait for more cash for the rear before buying two lesser units.

I have a "spare" G9000 (no gps) due to a late night ordering hiccup. Its now slated for the rear window. My GT680W with GPS is on the windshield. BTW, the GT680 without GPS antenna is twenty bucks less and the antenna can be added later.

This thread may help http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gt550ws-or-g1w-or-gt680w-what-shoul-i-buy.5960/

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Im going to go with a G1W in the front and mobius in the back.

Back