Power cable distorts radio signal (FM)

This is the exact same adaptor I have on order to cure my radio interference issue so I am glad to hear it works.

David
Have a look at the review by Stephen. Seems to cause FM and DAB interference. Maybe it works for some but not for others depending on the car's grounding or other issues.

Wonder if the Wicked Chili is better?

Have a look at the review by Stephen. Seems to cause FM and DAB interference. Maybe it works for some but not for others depending on the car's grounding or other issues.

Wonder if the Wicked Chili is better?
Well it worked for me, no more radio interference.

In that Stephen's review it does say he didn't buy it from Amazon, so there's a chance like anything it could be a cheap fake - I've seen cheap Belkin's kicking around too.

Have to admit it's potentially like anything in that your milage may vary - what works for some people doesn't for others.

Not sure if it makes any difference but my car's a VW with the RNS 510 and it's been happy.

I've just done some more reading and it does seem DAB is more affected than anything - heck even some Audi's as soon as you use the built in USB port you lose DAB reception!

I'll try disconnecting the cams and Scosche tomorrow and see how MW and FM react.

Last edited:
Have to say that these cheapo adapters work OK in my car (which has an aftermarket stereo) but in my bus, the reception is very patchy - and that's even around town. The wicked Chili are proving to be the dog's danglies. since using them (one for the cam, one for my phone), I've only had a couple of glitches

In that Stephen's review it does say he didn't buy it from Amazon, so there's a chance like anything it could be a cheap fake - I've seen cheap Belkin's kicking around too.

Have to admit it's potentially like anything in that your milage may vary - what works for some people doesn't for others.

Not sure if it makes any difference but my car's a VW with the RNS 510 and it's been happy.

I've just done some more reading and it does seem DAB is more affected than anything - heck even some Audi's as soon as you use the built in USB port you lose DAB reception!

I'll try disconnecting the cams and Scosche tomorrow and see how MW and FM react.

Have to say that these cheapo adapters work OK in my car (which has an aftermarket stereo) but in my bus, the reception is very patchy - and that's even around town. The wicked Chili are proving to be the dog's danglies. since using them (one for the cam, one for my phone), I've only had a couple of glitches
Hmm so both look to be alrgiht. Could you do me a favour and measure your adapters from the end of the metal tip to the flange?
2qx28mw.jpg

I've found some adapters are slightly shorter and don't work well with all slots (http://www.mymemory.co.uk/iPod---iP...e_iPod_iPad-1_iPad-2_The-New-iPad-3rd-(Black) this works ok in Volvo but needs fiddling in my Polo and causes FM interference when I charge anything)

Also, how about shielded USB cables? Do they help?

Does it change pitch while you're driving? Maybe it's a ground loop issue?

Hmm so both look to be alrgiht. Could you do me a favour and measure your adapters from the end of the metal tip to the flange?
2qx28mw.jpg

I've found some adapters are slightly shorter and don't work well with all slots (http://www.mymemory.co.uk/iPod---iPad---iPhone-Chargers/MyMemory/Dual-USB-Mini-Car-Charger-for-iPhone_iPod_iPad-1_iPad-2_The-New-iPad-3rd-(Black) this works ok in Volvo but needs fiddling in my Polo and causes FM interference when I charge anything)

Also, how about shielded USB cables? Do they help?
These are too short for a couple of my extension leads.
According to the "user's manual" (Yes, this actually comes with a glossy manual, one side of A4 !). There are three versions, 104, 117/118 and 119.
The 104 is 52.1mm x 32.3mm dia / 19.5g output 2.1A max
117/118 16g (presumably the same dimensions?) output 3.1A max
119 is 45mm x 32mm dia output 1.2A max
The 117/118 appears to have a silver bezel around the edge (to complement the handle) whereas the 104 & 119 are both all black (apart from the handle).
I have the 119 which has one USB output with a small green LED above it (where the second USB output is on the other model).
I presume the length quoted is the overall length (I can confirm this tomorrow (If I remember!).

I don't know about shielded USB cables but I loaded all my cables up with ferrite chokes & that did nothing (I left them in place after swapping charger - I had no other use for them so no point taking them off.

Well, I will be able to report soon on a few products. I ordered the scosche adapter, so we'll see how that does. I will combine it with either of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B0036ZP9ZWhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00351E7IMI ordered both cables. I have more faith in the blue one, but hey, blue cable, black car interior...So I hope the black one works too.

A little elaboration on my problem:
For me it really is radio reception. I have not tried MW or AM, but FM gets distorted heavily. The distortion does vary from frequency to frequency, probably depending on how strong a signal that particular radio station has at the moment. Listening to music through my cellphone (3,5mm cable, audio stored on phone) or through a USB stick directly into the car both work fine, no distortion.

I've got a cheap USB cable on the way from Amazon to test as well as two 3m cables from Banggood which look like just the power connections are hooked up and not the data pins.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00DY1ZEW6
Not sure if those Mobius ones will work with anything or just the Mobius but we'll see when they arrive :)

Does it change pitch while you're driving? Maybe it's a ground loop issue?
No it's more like a white noise fading in and out. The distortion actually gets worse when I switch off the engine. I need to disconnect my phone's USB charger to improve the reception. My reception isn't very good anyway but the USB cable just exacerbates it. Some stations are better than others (the more popular ones bearable even with the cable plugged in). I've heard about the ground loop issue but I don't know what it means or how to diagnose it. I have some electrical background but audio and radio aren't my strong points

These are too short for a couple of my extension leads.
According to the "user's manual" (Yes, this actually comes with a glossy manual, one side of A4 !). There are three versions, 104, 117/118 and 119.
The 104 is 52.1mm x 32.3mm dia / 19.5g output 2.1A max
117/118 16g (presumably the same dimensions?) output 3.1A max
119 is 45mm x 32mm dia output 1.2A max
The 117/118 appears to have a silver bezel around the edge (to complement the handle) whereas the 104 & 119 are both all black (apart from the handle).
I have the 119 which has one USB output with a small green LED above it (where the second USB output is on the other model).
I presume the length quoted is the overall length (I can confirm this tomorrow (If I remember!).

I don't know about shielded USB cables but I loaded all my cables up with ferrite chokes & that did nothing (I left them in place after swapping charger - I had no other use for them so no point taking them off.
So the one on Amazon UK is the 104 as it is 2.1A rated.

71oYBZ4Pn7L._SL1500_.jpg

Well, I will be able to report soon on a few products. I ordered the scosche adapter, so we'll see how that does. I will combine it with either of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B0036ZP9ZWhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00351E7IMI ordered both cables. I have more faith in the blue one, but hey, blue cable, black car interior...So I hope the black one works too.

A little elaboration on my problem:
For me it really is radio reception. I have not tried MW or AM, but FM gets distorted heavily. The distortion does vary from frequency to frequency, probably depending on how strong a signal that particular radio station has at the moment. Listening to music through my cellphone (3,5mm cable, audio stored on phone) or through a USB stick directly into the car both work fine, no distortion.
I think you may have the same issue as me. With your cable plugged in and charging something, switch off your engine and check if your reception gets worse.

I think you may have the same issue as me. With your cable plugged in and charging something, switch off your engine and check if your reception gets worse.

I'll try that this afternoon. I do know my cigarette lighter isn't powered when I switch off the engine though. Or do you mean the setting where electricity is on, but the engine isn't?

Also, my cam switches off automatically after a short moment after the engines shuts off.

I'll try that this afternoon. I do know my cigarette lighter isn't powered when I switch off the engine though. Or do you mean the setting where electricity is on, but the engine isn't?

Also, my cam switches off automatically after a short moment after the engines shuts off.
My cigarette lighter stays hot even with the ignition key is out so you won't be able to replicate what I did. Are you planning on using a hardwired cam? If so, you can try and locate a fuse that stays hot all the time and test with that. Or maybe try a different 12V socket if you have more than one.

Not planning on using a hardwired cam, no. The cam is to record during driving, so I remove it when it's parked (to much a 'steal-me' kind of device behind the window.

Did some more troubleshooting just now and what I said previously was wrong so deleted my post. In my case, it is definitely FM radio interference as my other inputs are not affected. My phone has worse reception than my car radio (car has external antenna and the phone is basically inside a metal box) so more sensitive to interference. I don't even need to have a cable connected to the USB port of the DC to DC converter (and even if you hover the cable close to the connector, reception gets even worse). As soon as I unplug the PSU from the 12V socket, reception goes back to normal.

So I think that a shielded cable will definitely help but I think there will be more gain ('scuse the pun) if we get rid of the noise from the source. I definitely need to get the Scosche or the Wicked Chili, just need to figure out which ones the longest. @doublep, can you measure your Scosche when you receive it and let me know?

I think it's best to test things with a portable FM radio/smartphone as they seem to be more sensitive to interference and should help troubleshooting when trying different setups and comparing the outcomes.

Did some more troubleshooting just now and what I said previously was wrong so deleted my post. In my case, it is definitely FM radio interference as my other inputs are not affected. My phone has worse reception than my car radio (car has external antenna and the phone is basically inside a metal box) so more sensitive to interference. I don't even need to have a cable connected to the USB port of the DC to DC converter (and even if you hover the cable close to the connector, reception gets even worse). As soon as I unplug the PSU from the 12V socket, reception goes back to normal.

So I think that a shielded cable will definitely help but I think there will be more gain ('scuse the pun) if we get rid of the noise from the source. I definitely need to get the Scosche or the Wicked Chili, just need to figure out which ones the longest. @doublep, can you measure your Scosche when you receive it and let me know?

I think it's best to test things with a portable FM radio/smartphone as they seem to be more sensitive to interference and should help troubleshooting when trying different setups and comparing the outcomes.

Could you specify what you mean with measuring the scosche? Just try out, or do you want me to measure resistance etc.?

Using the same measurements as you have in the pics above my Scosche is 4.2cm / 42mm from the top to where the metal bit at the bottom begins, and is 5cm / 50mm from tip to tip.

Could you specify what you mean with measuring the scosche? Just try out, or do you want me to measure resistance etc.?
Post 27 but reverend seems to have it covered. So just keep us posted with your results in terms of interference!

Using the same measurements as you have in the pics above my Scosche is 4.2cm / 42mm from the top to where the metal bit at the bottom begins, and is 5cm / 50mm from tip to tip.
As you said from the top I think you mean as show in post 32? If that's the case, then the Wicked Chili seems longer but not by much.

Thanks guys

I forgot the width - mine seems very small at 28-29mm, but that is also what all my ex's have said!

Back