Power cable to the Mini 0801.

RC TAYLOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Blueskysea
Hello

Just received my 0801 and am very happy after the initial set up and seeing some test videos. I have a car with a bigger rear-view mirror set up due to an automatic bright light sensor. I'm having issues finding a decent spot to mount the unit.
So... two questions. 1) Has anyone has avoided the mount completely and used velcro or something similar to attach to the camera to the back of the mirror? And doing it this way, I've found a potential problem with the USB power cable sticking straight out of the unit... And 2) Has anyone found another power cable which takes a 90 degree turn after plugging in, so it sits more flush on the camera.

Hopefully these questions make sense. Any help is appreciated.

You can buy right angle data cables, but the wire thickness on them is very thin for the camera's 1/2 amp current draw. The mini USB 12v power adapters have larger gauge wires which reduces any chance of voltage drop. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, those adapters are not available in right angle connectors.

Post a picture of your windshield/mirror.

I have a 90 degree connection hardwired, perhaps this thinner cable as stated above is the reason my camera often blinks red as if it's not conected properly. I should change this as probably it might be doing damage to camera. Anyone else have problem with sporatic red blinks?

The cable of the mini USB 12v converter that I have been using without problems is marked 24 AWG. I have a few data cables, but only one is marked, and it is 28 AWG. So the converter has thicker wires than that data cable.

This product looks worth a punt , if they are using the mentioned TI chip it's fine, no idea how safe their circuit is though?

Any opinions?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181199394975
4 way USB from single 12v feed

Found this power adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00C3DQRY0). It is compact and fits nicely next to the neck of the rearview mirror with the power leads attached into the overhead interior light power source. Given that it's connection is USB, a change of camera with different mini/micro usb connector shouldn't present a problem.

Back