Powerucc Panorama2

Camcandy said:
I just got mine today and now I get 2 questions

1. How do I turn on GPS? I have the GPS unit mounted and connected and it has the blue light blinking maybe indicating that it is working? But when I check my footage there was no GPS info or speed. I drove my car for at least 5 min to avoid GPS not fixing but it was the same in the end. nothing GPS related got recored
here's a video taken by this new dashcam showing the GPS connection yet no info displayed:

2. How to remove the mount (the one came with the unit, it has 3M adhesive on it) from the windshield?

The seller was nice to put the latest firmware on it but it is still to early to tell my personal opinion about this dashcam

If gps module has a blue ligh then you inserted into correct port ( I did once mistake inserting it into AV port ), but with you it should be OK.
As soon as you insert gps antenna into gps port, do you see a satellite icon on the bottom left of the screen ?
Does satellite icon is in searching mode ?
If you want to remove mount permanently, then best to use plastic swipe or credit card to detach from the glass. If only dash cam unit, then just unscrew mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
niko said:
Camcandy said:
I just got mine today and now I get 2 questions

1. How do I turn on GPS? I have the GPS unit mounted and connected and it has the blue light blinking maybe indicating that it is working? But when I check my footage there was no GPS info or speed. I drove my car for at least 5 min to avoid GPS not fixing but it was the same in the end. nothing GPS related got recored
here's a video taken by this new dashcam showing the GPS connection yet no info displayed:

2. How to remove the mount (the one came with the unit, it has 3M adhesive on it) from the windshield?

The seller was nice to put the latest firmware on it but it is still to early to tell my personal opinion about this dashcam

If gps module has a blue ligh then you inserted into correct port ( I did once mistake inserting it into AV port ), but with you it should be OK.
As soon as you insert gps antenna into gps port, do you see a satellite icon on the bottom left of the screen ?
Does satellite icon is in searching mode ?
If you want to remove mount permanently, then best to use plastic swipe or credit card to detach from the glass. If only dash cam unit, then just unscrew mount.
1. There was no satellite icon indicator. I just read the manual the seller sent to me and I know there supposed to be a yellow satellite icon stands for searching for GPS, then it will become green once positioned.
2. Yeah I need to remount the camera little bit higher, now it sits right blow my rear view mirror, I wish it could be fully hidden behind the mirror

Re: AW: Powerucc Panorama2

Blue blinking on the gps module does normally indicate a lock/fix. What is the display of the OSD meanwhike in the left lower corner? Orange sat icon ir green ir just non existant?
Which firmware version do you run?
So either it is not plugged in completely or broken. Or the firmware is just totally outdated.

adorfer said:
Blue blinking on the gps module does normally indicate a lock/fix. What is the display of the OSD meanwhike in the left lower corner? Orange sat icon ir green ir just non existant?
So either it is not plugged in completely or broken. Or the firmware is just totally outdated.

There's no satellite icon on the screen what so ever. I'm running 1.08.03, the seller installed it at my request

Update, I have talked to the seller and apparently the seller doesn't know what could have caused my GPS problem. The seller promised me that he/she will talk to the manufacturer on Monday, keep my fingers crossed.

I have also downloaded the viewer posted by Niko, I noticed that despite the viewer has recognized each clip has GPS record, they are not correct after all.
JacMa1V.png

Camcandy said:
adorfer said:

There's no satellite icon on the screen what so ever. I'm running 1.08.03, the seller installed it at my request

When inserting a gps antenna jack into port try at the same time twisting it ( turning ). Maybe some pins which responsible for gps signal are not locking inside jack. At the beginning mine was very stiff to push in, maybe because of being new.

Camcandy said:
Update, I have talked to the seller and apparently the seller doesn't know what could have caused my GPS problem. The seller promised me that he/she will talk to the manufacturer on Monday, keep my fingers crossed.

I have also downloaded the viewer posted by Niko, I noticed that despite the viewer has recognized each clip has GPS record, they are not correct after all.
JacMa1V.png

If you scroll up, you can read regarding latitude we discussed.
In Korea it works fine. In Germany also works fine ( see adorfer screen shot ).
It's an issue in Ireland where longitude is correct and latitude not. Its a minor issue for our area here and some time can happen with new products and can be easily fixed as jokiin mantioned. Jokiin is developer and manufacturer and he had same thing while ago with his product, but it was fixed. So I am not worried about gps coordinates now. I am just waiting for manufacturer to fix those readings for our region.

As per your gps icon not displaying on the screen I have also written directly to R&D department and will wait for replay within upcoming week.

I will inform you as soon as I get an answer.

niko said:
Camcandy said:

JacMa1V.png

If you scroll up, you can read regarding latitude we discussed.
In Korea it works fine. In Germany also works fine ( see adorfer screen shot ).
It's an issue in Ireland where longitude is correct and latitude not. Its a minor issue for our area here and some time can happen with new products and can be easily fixed as jokiin mantioned. Jokiin is developer and manufacturer and he had same thing while ago with his product, but it was fixed. So I am not worried about gps coordinates now. I am just waiting for manufacturer to fix those readings for our region.

As per your gps icon not displaying on the screen I have also written directly to R&D department and will wait for replay within upcoming week.

I will inform you as soon as I get an answer.
Oh nice, thanks for your input. Like I have said, keep my fingers crossed

@nico: Yes, the socket was really hard to push in the first few times. the springs seem so tough that it's hard to plug the jack really all way in.

Anyway, i have now my first night recordings and i am pretty satisfied.
only the wide angle of view makes reading plates&etc really tough.
But perhaps i will have a look what lensation has to offer to me again.
The sensor is a 1/3"? What it the focal length of the factory lense? 1.5mm?
Is the IR cut filter in the factory lens or attached to the sensor?

empty, dark streets:

dark motorway

BTW: If the time/clock would ajust automatically according to the GPS, (at least minutes/seconds) this would be perfect, but it does not.

adorfer said:
BTW: If the time/clock would ajust automatically according to the GPS, (at least minutes/seconds) this would be perfect, but it does not.

if you have an email contact then start suggesting they do this, it's not hard to implement but maybe they haven't thought about it, don't ask, don't get

I suspected that my GPS issue could be caused by firmware so I decided to roll it back. I went to the powerucc site and found 1.07.05 has no link available so I installed 1.07.0 instead. Went through the process and powered it on in my car. To my surprise I can see the GPS icon popped out (yellow) for like 1 sec on the lower left of the screen. the GPS icon didn't stay or turn green even though the GPS unit is blinking blue the whole time. At first I thought may be it was a connection issue with the connector so I tried to rotate it in the socket. But it turned out didn't help, as I observed the GPS icon pop out on the screen without I even touching the cable or connector. I think the GPS icon pops out periodically for every 30 sec or so.

I think the next step is to try to install 1.07.05, but I can't find a link for it. Does anyone have it?

Camcandy said:
I suspected that my GPS issue could be caused by firmware so I decided to roll it back. I went to the powerucc site and found 1.07.05 has no link available so I installed 1.07.0 instead. Went through the process and powered it on in my car. To my surprise I can see the GPS icon popped out (yellow) for like 1 sec on the lower left of the screen. the GPS icon didn't stay or turn green even though the GPS unit is blinking blue the whole time. At first I thought may be it was a connection issue with the connector so I tried to rotate it in the socket. But it turned out didn't help, as I observed the GPS icon pop out on the screen without I even touching the cable or connector. I think the GPS icon pops out periodically for every 30 sec or so.

I think the next step is to try to install 1.07.05, but I can't find a link for it. Does anyone have it?

Try to go from v1.07.05 to v1.08.03.
Maybe seller you bought it from had old stock with very first firmware v.1.06 and upgraded straight to v1.08.03. Some time jumping skipping ahead so many firmwares may cause minor "holes" in the firmware. Its not always rule but might be a cause. Try to build up / upgrade firmware step by step progressively up.

niko said:
Camcandy said:

Maybe seller you bought it from had old stock with very first firmware v.1.06 and upgraded straight to v1.08.03. Some time jumping skipping ahead so many firmwares may cause minor "holes" in the firmware. Its not always rule but might be a cause. Try to build up / upgrade firmware step by step progressively up.
That's a good point, as I have read it on the Matego site (they produce the Chinese version of Panorama2) that some version of MG300 unit requires multiple upgrades in order to install the latest version firmware.

BTW, I noticed the Chinese counterpart of Panorama2 (MG300W and MG300G) have even more frequent firmware release than the Panorama2, check out this page: http://www.matego.com.cn/cn/service/mg3 ... ng-ji.html I wonder if Panorama2 can use Matego's firmware. So far I have seen the downloadable firmware in same format and size from the two manufacture.

Camcandy said:
niko said:
Camcandy said:

That's a good point, as I have read it on the Matego site (they produce the Chinese version of Panorama2) that some version of MG300 unit requires multiple upgrades in order to install the latest version firmware.

BTW, I noticed the Chinese counterpart of Panorama2 (MG300W and MG300G) have even more frequent firmware release than the Panorama2, check out this page: http://www.matego.com.cn/cn/service/mg3 ... ng-ji.html I wonder if Panorama2 can use Matego's firmware. So far I have seen the downloadable firmware in same format and size from the two manufacture.

I guess they all related some how in the appearance and some hardware / firmware.

There is also a Japanese version:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B00BS9J ... m_sbs_e_21

From research and my won tests Matego vs Panorama2 I can say that they all use Coach 12P (part # ZR364242BCCG) and most of other hardware components and firmware has also same appearance, but I do not know if can replace or use firmware from Matego on Panorama2.
Only thing I know is that "others" do not have Sony Exmor CMOS. Was trying long time to find out what CMOS they are using, but no result.
Bought Matego MG300 for tests to compare with Panorama2. MG300 is exactly the same as MG300W, the only difference is in lens. MG300 is 120 degree 6 glass, MG300W has 7 lens 154 degree apparently from TDK. I bought MG300 with with narrower lens angle just to see how good will be nubmer plates reading vs 154 degree Panorama2 lens, because then narrower view angle, than mroe clear should be readings, but its only in theory. In practice narrower angle did not play any difference ( MG300 vs Panorama2 ) and clarity of video and numberplates readings where better on Panorama2 despite having 154 degree angle. After doing side by side tests I can say video quality difference, especially at night. Panorama2 beats by video quality in any way.
Also I tried to contact Matego customer service, but without any replays to my e-mails, so there is a little or no english support. Maybe they work for Chinese inner market only ?

Considering those Matego MG300W facts:

1. price is the same or in most cases much higher:

http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/mg300 ... =y&catId=0

2. lack of English speaking support ( at least at the moment ).

3. using lower quality CMOS ( vs Panorama2 Sony Exmor CMOS )

4. side by side test Panorama2 vs MG300

I make up my mind in favour of Panorama2.

But of course everybody decides themselves what is best for them.

In relations of Matego MG300W vs MG300G they are exactly the same, both 154 degree.

MG300W do not have a GPS antenna in the main set, MG300G comes with GPS antenna as a main set. Other than that they are the same:

http://matego.net/html/product/13.html

http://matego.net/html/product/14.html

Operational temperature is -20 +80 C.
I guess this will apply to Panorama2 as well.

Max size SD card 32Gb, but I have tested Panorama2 ( with very first v1.06 version ) it worked with 64Gb SanDisc MicroSDxc without formatting from exFat to Fat32.
To use 64gb with Panorama2 v1.08.03 need to format memory card to Fat32.

Attachments

• Matego Differences.jpg
    Matego Differences.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 391
Ok, I finally found info regarding Matego MG300 series using CMOS from American Howe semiconductor (OmniVision)
On the front of the lens housing we can see they advertise 14Mpix.

http://translate.google.ie/translate?sl ... ml&act=url

The only two 14Mpix CMOS from OV are OV14810 ( 14.6Mpix ) and OV14825 ( 14Mpix )
Specs are exactly the same on both with CMOS size 1/2.33", just 0.6Mpix difference in resolution.

http://www.ovt.com/download_document.ph ... ensorid=58
http://www.ovt.com/download_document.ph ... partid=155

I assume if they advertise 14Mpix on front lens cover, then they use OV14825

Powerucc Panorama2 uses Sony Exmor IMX122LQJ, 1/2.8" CMOS, 2.43Mpix ( 1984 x 1225 )
Same Sony Exmor CMOS used by: Finuvu CR-500HD, New 2ch Blackvue DR550GW, Univue UB-500HD, Hyundai R700, G-Net Classic Premium, and few other High End dash cams.
P.S. - in the end of this year more dash cams will be available with new Sony Exmor IMX140LQJ, which has almost same specs but only big difference is 1080p / 60fps

Question is:
For dash cameras, is 14Mpix OV14825 better than almost 6 times less megapixel Sony Exmor IMX122LQJ ( 2.43Mpix ) ?
Answer is NO !!!

For dash cams 1080p / 30fps optimal CMOS sensor resolution is 2.073 Mpix ( 1080 x 1920 ).

For video recording from total amount of 14 million pixels on OV14825, the 11.927 million pixels are "wasted".

Just some quick comparison data which affects video quality on dash cams, OV14825 vs Sony Exmor IMX122LQJ.

Pixel size: OV14825 = 1.4µm x 1.4µm vs Sony Exmor IMX122LQJ = 2.8µm x 2.8µm. Sony each pixel is 4 times bigger.
Sensitivity: OV14825 = 720mV/lux-sec vs Sony Exmor IMX122LQJ = 425mV/lux-sec. Sony is 1.7 times more sensitive.
S/N ratio: OV14825 = 35dB vs Sony Exmor IMX122LQJ = 55dB. Sony has 1.57 times less noise at low light video recording.
Dynamic Range: OV14825 = 68d vs Sony Exmor IMX122LQJ = 120dB WDR ( Wide Dynamic Range )

Initially I bought Matego MG300 just to see if it is exactly the same product as Panorama2, assuming maybe one of them printing different names / lables, but after first day of testing I knew they are different inside and mostly CMOS sensor plays most important part here.
From all this data now I know why comparing video of Matego side by side with Panorama2 I saw a difference in video quality, especially at night.

Hope this info will be useful for you.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 394
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 395
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 393
I have added a new thread which will help you to understand in more details I wrote above comparing Matego OV CMOS to Panorama2 Sony Exmor CMOS:

Understanding of CMOS Pixel size Resolution Sensitivity S/N

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1720

Nice info Niko, I haven't figure out what is wrong with the GPS on my unit yet but I have tested the theory of using MG300G's firmware on Panorama2. It turns out the firmware is not compatible with Panorama2, not without modification at least. I viewed both firmware with hex editor and found out they both have very similar parts. The beginning couple MB of the both firmware are exactly the same. Interestingly, when I searched string value "MG300", both file have the same string that look like this:

005181d0h: 4C BD 6B 80 47 4C 47 33 30 30 2E 45 4C 46 00 00 ; L½k€GLG300.ELF..
005181e0h: 4F 6E 53 74 61 72 43 53 47 33 30 30 54 57 2E 45 ; OnStarCSG300TW.E
005181f0h: 4C 46 00 00 4F 6E 53 74 61 72 43 53 47 33 30 30 ; LF..OnStarCSG300
00518200h: 2E 45 4C 46 00 00 00 00 42 54 5F 44 56 52 33 2E ; .ELF....BT_DVR3.
00518210h: 45 4C 46 00 4F 6E 53 74 61 72 4D 47 33 30 30 57 ; ELF.OnStarMG300W
00518220h: 2E 45 4C 46 00 00 00 00 4F 6E 53 74 61 72 4D 47 ; .ELF....OnStarMG
00518230h: 33 30 30 2E 45 4C 46 00 68 74 74 70 00 00 00 00 ; 300.ELF.http....
00518240h: 61 73 69 63 00 00 00 00 69 65 65 65 00 00 00 00 ; asic....ieee....

.ELF is the extension of both firmware, Panorama2's firmware is named GLG300.ELF, MG300W's is named OnStarMG300W.ELF

There are certainly some connection between the two firmware, maybe from the same developer?

The only reason I want to try MG300's firmware is to see if it can fix my strange GPS problem (it is strange, the GPS unit is working, yet nothing gets recorded). But oh well, let's see what the seller says on Monday

Camcandy said:
Nice info Niko, I haven't figure out what is wrong with the GPS on my unit yet but I have tested the theory of using MG300G's firmware on Panorama2. It turns out the firmware is not compatible with Panorama2, not without modification at least. I viewed both firmware with hex editor and found out they both have very similar parts. The beginning couple MB of the both firmware are exactly the same. Interestingly, when I searched string value "MG300", both file have the same string that look like this:

005181d0h: 4C BD 6B 80 47 4C 47 33 30 30 2E 45 4C 46 00 00 ; L½k€GLG300.ELF..
005181e0h: 4F 6E 53 74 61 72 43 53 47 33 30 30 54 57 2E 45 ; OnStarCSG300TW.E
005181f0h: 4C 46 00 00 4F 6E 53 74 61 72 43 53 47 33 30 30 ; LF..OnStarCSG300
00518200h: 2E 45 4C 46 00 00 00 00 42 54 5F 44 56 52 33 2E ; .ELF....BT_DVR3.
00518210h: 45 4C 46 00 4F 6E 53 74 61 72 4D 47 33 30 30 57 ; ELF.OnStarMG300W
00518220h: 2E 45 4C 46 00 00 00 00 4F 6E 53 74 61 72 4D 47 ; .ELF....OnStarMG
00518230h: 33 30 30 2E 45 4C 46 00 68 74 74 70 00 00 00 00 ; 300.ELF.http....
00518240h: 61 73 69 63 00 00 00 00 69 65 65 65 00 00 00 00 ; asic....ieee....

.ELF is the extension of both firmware, Panorama2's firmware is named GLG300.ELF, MG300W's is named OnStarMG300W.ELF

There are certainly some connection between the two firmware, maybe from the same developer?

The only reason I want to try MG300's firmware is to see if it can fix my strange GPS problem (it is strange, the GPS unit is working, yet nothing gets recorded). But oh well, let's see what the seller says on Monday

Good job for "hex"-ing and comparing.
When today I spent half day searching for CMOS info of Matego MG300, I found this website with latest firmware picture on display of Matego MG300W

http://www.xcar.com.cn/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=18993695

As you can see the serial number of latest firmware is: 1.08.03, its same as on Panorama2 ( v1.08.03 ) and release date is same.
So I assume they have same developer, but I would not recommend using Matego firmware on Panorama2 without programmer knowledge on how to adopt / change Matego firmware to fully work on Panorama2.
As you see from you comparison after "hex"-ing, they have many similarities, but maybe because Panorama2 using more advanced CMOS sensor, the developers adopting different programm algorithm on reading and saving information from CMOS. If you use Matego firmware on Panorama, then you may lower it perfomance.
Of course if you are good in hacking and know how to back-up and later restore if something goes wrong, then it worth to try and share info with others. Other than that I would not recommend other users testing Matego firmware on Panorama2. Better to wait for developer answer.
Thank you for research.

Here's a clip recorded by mine, sunny and against the sun
Also if you noticed the left edge of the footage is not as sharp as the right edge, this is probably due to that part of the windshield from the camera's angle acts as another lens so the camera lost focus on the left edge. I tested the camera without windshield and the left side is just as sharp as the right side.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D II / S 7
DGTLSYSTEMS II / S 1
D II / S 9
I II / S 37
alexsoll II / S 263
Back