Pre-order for A229 on May 20th 2022

markus

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
VIOFO A229 Pro 2ch, VIOFO A119 V3, 70mai Smart Dash Cam 1S
I thought I'd check the official Viofo website to see if the A229 had been mentioned at all, and there's a banner mentioning pre-orders for the A229 starting on May 20th 222.

You can be among the first in the queue when released then Markus. (y) Still a bit of tweaking to do though before they go on sale. But it looks pretty good already.

Paul.

How long do you think it'll be till we see an A229 Plus or Pro? Was it a year or more with the A129 for those variants to come out?

How long do you think it'll be till we see an A229 Plus or Pro? Was it a year or more with the A129 for those variants to come out?
Right now nobody can say. There are supply problems with some components right now which has even affected this cam's launch. Viofo's always working on something better so it will happen when it's possible.

Phil

A229 Pro: 4K in the front, 2K in the rear.
If it happens, you heard it from me first. ;)

I'd say 1 to 1.5 years from now is normal time frame. Possible that it may even extend to 2 years due to Chinese COVID lockdown as my understanding is that their government has declared war on COVID over there.

Dozy me never even thought about Plus or Pro versions!

It should be an A139 version next, and the current A139 does seem to be quite popular, so a "Pro" version of some sort seems quite likely. That should be enough new cameras for this year, so an A229 Pro would have to be at least next year. Having said that, the A229 wasn't given a larger case to fit its current sensor...

$20 off the A229 and a free $50 memory card - that's not a bad offer for pre-sale orders

That is a good offer. Would I be correct to assume that the bundle with CPL is a CPL for the main unit and not the rear cam? Would it be best to have a CPL on the rear cam, and if so, which one is compatible?
In addition, the packing list does not mention the cable for the rear cam, but it would include one, so what's the length of the cable, plus what "ends" does it come with, eg straight on one end, right angle on the other?

$20 off the A229 and a free $50 memory card - that's not a bad offer for pre-sale orders

That does sound like an attractive offer but personally I wouldn't go for it. I know everyone is excited about the two new cams from Viofo and many are chomping at the bit to get hold of one. I've been there.

Nevertheless, as a 12 year buyer of a great many dash cams, even from a venerable manufacturer like Viofo, I now have a certain "Rule of Thumb" about this sort of thing. I NEVER purchase the first full production run of any camera. This is because I've personally experienced or witnessed on these pages so many instances of the first production run of a new camera encountering some sort of unexpected glitch in the manufacturing process that needs to get sorted out or a flawed component that reveals itself to the first round of buyers that I now always wait until the camera has been on the market for a while and reports start to filter in about the product's reliability and performance in the real world rather than from pre-production samples distributed for review, testing and promotional "product buzz".

Last edited:
Would I be correct to assume that the bundle with CPL is a CPL for the main unit and not the rear cam? Would it be best to have a CPL on the rear cam, and if so, which one is compatible?
The optional CPL is for the front camera only. I don't believe there is an official CPL for the rear camera - you would have to find a DIY solution.

That $50 memory card is more equivalent to $19 (price of a 128GB SanDisk High Endurance on Amazon), unless one specifically wants a Viofo branded card.
I would assume most people here (except for new posters) already have lots of MicroSD card spares, so I wouldn't really call it a cherry on top.

Prime Day is right around the corner in the next month or two though.
Prime Day and Black Friday/Cyber Monday are the biggest sales discount for Viofo cameras both on their website and also on Amazon, so if one is not in a rush or already has an existing dashcam, there is no need to rush in pre-ordering.

That is a good offer. Would I be correct to assume that the bundle with CPL is a CPL for the main unit and not the rear cam? Would it be best to have a CPL on the rear cam, and if so, which one is compatible?
In addition, the packing list does not mention the cable for the rear cam, but it would include one, so what's the length of the cable, plus what "ends" does it come with, eg straight on one end, right angle on the other?
Rear cam cable is 6m /19ft 8in. Longest I know of and right angle plugs on both ends which work well with the design.

Phil

I'm really interested in this as my first dashcam. Mainly because it's 2K both front and rear and 2K seems to be the sweet spot for dash cams at the moment.
I notice that the https://viofo.com/en/content/32-viofo-a229-duo-dual-channel-dash-cam/ site seems to offer free delivery to the UK.
Has anyone used this site for UK delivery?
Will I get charged import duty?
Or should I wait until they are available on amazon UK or viofouk.co.uk?
Still kind of torn between this and Street Guardian.
Any pointers/experiences appreciated.

Has anyone used this site for UK delivery?
Will I get charged import duty?
I believe they are shipped from the UK if they are for UK delivery, so quick delivery and no issues with taxes.

Might be worth asking support on that site first, just to make sure, since pre-ordering is not a normal delivery, but even then I would expect them to sort the taxes. It is above the UK import tax limit, which also affects VAT rules these days, so worth checking.

That $50 memory card is more equivalent to $19 (price of a 128GB SanDisk High Endurance on Amazon), unless one specifically wants a Viofo branded card.
I would assume most people here (except for new posters) already have lots of MicroSD card spares, so I wouldn't really call it a cherry on top.

Prime Day is right around the corner in the next month or two though.
Prime Day and Black Friday/Cyber Monday are the biggest sales discount for Viofo cameras both on their website and also on Amazon, so if one is not in a rush or already has an existing dashcam, there is no need to rush in pre-ordering.
VIOFO Branded memory card is more close to the MAX Endurance card, or even better, that's why we call it an industry memory card.
The card we sold is way better than most of Samsung and Sandisk consumer-level memory cards.

VIOFO Branded memory card is more close to the MAX Endurance card, or even better, that's why we call it an industry memory card.
The card we sold is way better than most of Samsung and Sandisk consumer-level memory cards.
  • Capacity: 128GB
  • Read Speeds: Up to 95MB/s
  • Write Speeds: Up to 90MB/s
  • Operating temperature: -25℃ ~ 85℃
  • Storage temperature: -40℃ ~ 85℃
  • Size: 15mm(L) * 11mm(W) * 1mm(T)
I assumed based on the specs of your card, the card is a rebranded Samsung Evo+ or Samsung Pro+? The specs eerily seem similar.
I don't think I've ever seen an "endurance" card write from Samsung Pro Endurance, SanDisk High/MAX Endurance, or WD Purple line write that fast...certainly not at the consumer level.

If it's more closer to the SanDisk Max Endurance or better, that's certainly good to know.

I believe they are shipped from the UK if they are for UK delivery, so quick delivery and no issues with taxes.

Might be worth asking support on that site first, just to make sure, since pre-ordering is not a normal delivery, but even then I would expect them to sort the taxes. It is above the UK import tax limit, which also affects VAT rules these days, so worth checking.
I messaged support. They said the pre-ordered ones would be despatched from China (about a week transit time) and they usually put a lower price on the customs declaration do no import duty is charged.
Sounds a bit dodgy to me. As @Lothar and @Dashmellow suggest above I might try and be patient and wait for a while and see how much they go for on one of the sale days coming up. Not sure I've got the patience though .

Back