Previous version of 0803 firmware wanted

Bearsie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've got an 0803 with 1 SD card and GPS which I've had since May this year, it has firmware version 20140510 v1.0.

I've been using the camera in Spain since late June and am behind on firmware updates.

I see other posts in this forum referring to firmware 20141101 60fps and other references to 2 card cameras.

I'd like to get to a newer release of firmware, but am worried that the 20141101 maybe a leap too far and would prefer to update to perhaps the version before that and one that applies to a 1 card model camera.

I've tried searching through the 0803 forum hoping to find correspondence and a link to a previous firmware version, but without success (maybe I just haven't chosen the correct keywords) - can someone point me to a link to a firmware update prior to the 1 November one please?

Many thanks.

referring to firmware 20141101 60fps
This is probably for the 0805 you will brick an 0803 flashing an 0805 firmware.
You can check out the firmware repository in my signature
2 card means a camera with internal storage and an outside memory card.
You can flash a 1 card firmware, but you will loose the ability to use your internal storage.
The blue text iTracker branded firmware is the most popular one.

Last edited:
I tried the iTracker firmware (custom no-sound) but did not like it. By default it has the spot metering / center metering swapped, which gave me a big headache since even with exposure set to maximum my video was still super dark.

I'm now on 20140919 and love it. There's additional options for sharpness and contrast as well. Has added bonus of mic bug fixed and speed limit cap. Highly recommended.

This is probably for the 0805 you will brick an 0803 flashing an 0805 firmware.
You can check out the firmware repository in my signature

I tried the iTracker firmware (custom no-sound) but did not like it.

I'm now on 20140919 and love it.

CheckYourLights - many thanks for the link to your repository and the explanation about "2 cards" - I definitely don't want to flash my 0803.

Based upon the input from Yen, I have downloaded and saved firmware 20140919 to my c drive - I see that it is a .bin file.

As this will be the first time I have upgraded the firmware, could one of you give me some idiot proof instructions on how to get the .bin file onto my 0803 please?
When I plug my 0803 via USB to my laptop, Windows Explorer shows that there are four file folders on the 0803: "Player"; "gps"; "DCIM" and "MISC".

Many thanks - B

many thanks for the link to your repository
The repository belongs to Tobi@s. He has done a lot of great work and I don't want to steal his credit. It has helped me so I just want to make sure more people see it

idiot proof instructions
When I plug my 0803 via USB to my laptop
First I have to mention that it is a good idea to break this habit. When working with Dashcams you should always take the card out of the camera and put it in a card reader then in a PC.

Moving along with the card in the PC
1 Unzip the file
2 make sure you name the file from the zip the word firmware
3 Drag and drop it on the root or top level of the memory card so it is next to "Player"; "gps"; "DCIM" and "MISC".
4 out the card back in the camera and plug it in to a power source (never update on battery power)
5 turn it on and a screen will come up asking to update
6 select yes and allow it to process for a few minutes when done it should power it self off
7 reboot the camera and select no or you will flash it over again
8 format the card do a reset to default and reset your settings to your liking
Done

the explanation about "2 cards" - I definitely don't want to flash my 0803.
I've flashed my 2Card 0803 with the 1 card iTracker it's no big deal I use it with a 64GB card and it works fine. I just have to make sure a card is in if not it will still record and I can;t get the video off because the 1 card firmware doesn't know how to handle it without a card being in

Last edited by a moderator:
Unzip the file

Thanks for the guidance on using the card reader; done that, but the file that I downloaded (from Tobi@s' repository!!) is a .bin file not a zip file and when I double click the file name, Windows says it doesn't know how to open the file and invites me to search the web for a program that will open it.

Did I download the wrong file from the repository?? I've taken a screen shot of what I downloaded.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    63 KB · Views: 9
is a .bin file not a zip file
That was my mistake I thought it was in a zip. He has them hosted as unzipped bins. take the file you downloaded and ignore the unzip part in my instructions.
Sorry about the confusion.
Take the file your downloaded rename it firmware and then continue as written.

Hi CheckYourLights
I've done as you directed but still have a couple of questions.

The rename of the file to "firmware.bin" was OK, the update went ok as you described above, but:

a) is this official firmware as the camera no longer powers up to the screen showing the Corvette, but with some Russian(?) characters above a logo that reads "ProCam CX4"
b) when I long press the up arrow to go to the menu to check/make my settings, the menu is in Russian (or similar language) and not English did I download the wrong language version of the file from Tobi@s repository? I downloaded the file as shown in the attached screenshot.

Thanks in advance - B

Attachments

• screenshot of downloaded 0803 filename.png
    screenshot of downloaded 0803 filename.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 6
a) is this official firmware as the camera no longer powers up to the screen showing the Corvette, but with some Russian(?) characters above a logo that reads "ProCam CX4"
This should be the official firmware for the Russian Version of the Mini 0803. It is called the ProCam CX4 in Russia.
b) when I long press the up arrow to go to the menu to check/make my settings, the menu is in Russian (or similar language) and not English did I download the wrong language version of the file from Tobi@s repository?
No you just have to change it to English.
The Russian word for Language should be язык (Used Google Translate) if you go into your menu and click up the menus in reverse sort of it should be around 5 clicks up to change it.

I had the same issue at first when I did my review.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gearbest-mini-0803-with-gps.7371/#post-90304

:EDIT:
Just flashed mine with the same firmware and everything is good to go and in English

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks CheckYourLights

Sorry for the slow reply - it's getting dark and had to take the dog for her walk;)

You were spot on about the "Language" tab, it was the fifth one up from the end and now it's all in English. My unit came from JooVuu in the UK.

I see a few additional tabs when compared to my original 20140510 v1.0 firmware so have taken the offered settings and will see what comes.

Shame about losing the Corvette on startup, but hey-ho, the firmware hasn't cost me anything and I am very grateful to you for your patience and courtesy and to Yen and to Tobi@s for keeping the repository.

Is there any distribution list that I can subscribe to, to keep abreast of further releases or is the best way to become a more regular visitor to this forum?

I don't think I'll be out in the car before Monday so I'll see how the unit performs then; I think the only other problem I have which I have seen written about on here is that in recent days, it decides to go to standby, which I think is as a result of a wobbly connection between camera and GPS unit - a tad frustrating as in a few days I have a 700 mile drive from south to north of Spain, before getting the ferry to England and the reason I wanted a dashcam in the first place was just in case of any driving issues when coming from northern to southern Spain 5 months ago.

Once again thanks for your help

Best regards - Bearsie

I think is as a result of a wobbly connection between camera and GPS unit - a tad frustrating as in a few days I have a 700 mile drive from south to north of Spain, before getting the ferry to England
If you are doing something mission critical (like a 700 mile drive) you can plug the cord directly into the camera and then just use the base as a mount. I have this issue as well because I am always popping my 0806 off to play with the settings and jot down notes

Is there any distribution list that I can subscribe to, to keep abreast of further releases or is the best way to become a more regular visitor to this forum?
In terms of firmware lists with this series camera from my understanding the firmware is released to the distributor (someone like GearBest, SpyTec, or Foxoffer)and then a customer has to ask for the firmware from the person they bought the camera from so there is no official page or way to get a new firmware as a consumer directly from the manufacture or factory.

People are kind enough to share the firmware they get a hold of so other people can update and stay current, and Tobi@s is kind enough to keep all the shared information in one place.

I generally see that someone has posted a new firmware. I let Tobi@s or someone else who know what they are doing look it over in A7Tool (Mainly because I am not good at using A7Tool) to make sure that it is safe (someone extracted a firmware from a newer 0803 they bought but something needed to be patched in it to make it work with everyone's camera flashing the pre-patch would have bricked the camera)
Once I see it up on http://dc.p-mc.eu/0803/firmware I know it is safe and go ahead and flash.

Other then that just hang out and absorb as much information as you can. Ask what you need to know. The only stupid question is an unaksed one. Help other users once you have a decent amount figured out yourself and can do so.

Back