Psycho spits on my car

Actually I dont know the LAW in the USA ! regarding pedestrian rights ...
Here in Oz , the pedestrian OWNS the real-estate ( Road - footpath - driveway ) they are walking on ..
In other words they have right of way !

If the pedestrian is still on said real-estate and a car tries to occupy that real-estate at the same time the pedestrian is there ...
Then the Car driver has FAILED to give way to the pedestrian , and its a traffic violation ( Unlawful )

that's basically the same/similar here. but when a pedestrian becomes belligerent and intentionally blocks a vehicle's path, then the pedestrian has just thrown the rules out the window and the ped can actually be ticketed if he's caught. if a car intentionally stops in the middle of the road to block traffic on purpose - he can get ticketed too. same concept.

Here in the UK not many people realise this but road vehicles 'own' entry ramps. Even when you have a driveway to your house when the council puts a ramp into the kerb they have to officially reclassify that part of pavement as roadway. At least that's how they justify the fees they demand to do it.

But if a pedestrian has STARTED to cross at a junction vehicles must yield. So it's a case of who gets there first.

BUT here's the thing. Just because one person has priority it doesn't mean they should be a dick about it. I'm thoroughly sick of pedestrians who nonchalantly stroll out in front of moving vehicles then casually take their time getting out of the way. It's selfish, antisocial and very often dangerous. When someone does that to me I will give them the absolute minimum respect required by law.

When someone 'negotiates' with me by eye contact, hand gestures or whatever, and makes any effort to minimise the inconvenience they cause, I will bend over backwards to help them out and protect them from other traffic.

It's about cooperation. Either cooperate or compete. You can't have it both ways.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Here in Oz , the pedestrian OWNS the real-estate ( Road - footpath - driveway ) they are walking on ..

If the pedestrian is still on said real-estate and a car tries to occupy that real-estate at the same time the pedestrian is there ...
Then the Car driver has FAILED to give way to the pedestrian , and its a traffic violation ( Unlawful )
The unfortunate thing is , most car drivers are way too impatient to wait for pedestrians to clear said real-estate , again I dont know what the law is regarding such in the USA but if that was Oz , I would have pinched the driver for failing to give way .
I have seen the rich , the poor , the stupid and the so called smart as well as police fail to give way to pedestrians here in Oz ...
When clearly the pedestrian has had the right of way ( and done nothing wrong ) ... The unfortunate thing is car drivers can be seriously dangerous at the best of times , especially regarding pedestrians ...
And the sad thing is , they actually believe they have done nothing wrong ... Steel VS flesh = No contest ! And some drivers actually willfully endanger pedestrians because they can't wait 5 seconds ...

The unfortunate thing is , most car drivers are way too impatient to wait for pedestrians to clear said real-estate , again I dont know what the law is regarding such in the USA but if that was Oz , I would have pinched the driver for failing to give way .
I have seen the rich , the poor , the stupid and the so called smart as well as police fail to give way to pedestrians here in Oz ...
When clearly the pedestrian has had the right of way ( and done nothing wrong ) ... The unfortunate thing is car drivers can be seriously dangerous at the best of times , especially regarding pedestrians ...
And the sad thing is , they actually believe they have done nothing wrong ... Steel VS flesh = No contest ! And some drivers actually willfully endanger pedestrians because they can't wait 5 seconds ...

I paused, he passed and I pulled in behind him at 1 mph. There was no failure to yield, there was no danger to anyone, there was no close call. It was a non-situation where nothing happened.

I think you're trying too hard to be offended.

I paused, he passed and I pulled in behind him at 1 mph. There was no failure to yield, there was no danger to anyone, there was no close call. It was a non-situation where nothing happened.

I think you're trying too hard to be offended.

Yeah , tell yourself what ever you need !
I'm not offended , not surprised , not by you , nor by the pedestrian ...
Just because I drive a car , does not mean I am special .. In fact I take the operation of a lethal weapon very seriously ...
And I make it a point ( for myself ) to stay well away from pedestrians ... I really hate seeing pedestrians in fear of cars , I guess some might get off on it ( fear ) ..

I live my life by Gods law !
Do onto others as you would have others do onto you ...
And if you feel harshly judged , well , some hold driving to a higher standard than others ...

Oh and I seriously despise idiot drivers who think everyone should get out of their way .....
So if your offended that I might understand the pedestrians perspective on the situation , Good !
I have watched the video , and you did not impress me in any way what so ever !
Not that the pedestrian impressed either , but I can understand his anger ( not how he expressed it )

As for the pedestrians Social standing , mental state , or race , I really don't give a flying (?) ....
And as for your driving , obviously you are happy with it ... On the other hand the video proves beyond a reasonable doubt that others may not be as impressed as you .

The road is not a battle ground , there are no enemies . It's a shared space used by all in society , and those that find it hard to share (?) Or drive in such a way as to endanger themselves and others .
Well , perhaps they should have their toy taken away for a while ...

I really hate seeing pedestrians in fear of cars

I really hate seeing pedestrians unafraid of cars. It shows they aren't being realistic and won't behave responsibly. Fear is our friend. It's the most powerful motivation there is and it keeps us alive.

We could all do with being a bit more afraid on the roads.

I really hate seeing pedestrians unafraid of cars. It shows they aren't being realistic and won't behave responsibly. Fear is our friend. It's the most powerful motivation there is and it keeps us alive.

We could all do with being a bit more afraid on the roads.

I guess everyone should live in fear then !
In fear of the government , in fear of criminals , in fear of neighbors , in fear of everything !

That's some seriously "F"ed up thinking !

The other side of that coin would be that everyone behaves and respects everybody else , show a little courtesy so that no needs to be in fear ...
But with so many having seriously bad attitudes towards operating lethal weapons , I guess that will never happen .
If anything , Car drivers should be the ones to be afraid , of a nice long restful stay in a Prison , with a nice friendly 400Lbs Bubba !
The Gooberment has gone too softly on car drivers for too long ...
The penalties need to be much harsher ! ... Because what we have now , obviously does not work , making car drivers feel privileged to do as they please ... ( This needs to end )

It's not the other side of the coin at all. You can be respectful to others AND be afraid of the very real risks out there.

To be in denial of the danger is to put yourself and others at risk.

Hehehehehehehehehehehe ....

Not the same thing ...
Being aware , and being afraid ... Not the same thing ...

You quite clearly stated = " I really hate seeing pedestrians unafraid of cars. "

I hate to see people afraid of cars , the fear comes from ?
Possibly valid reasons , like having to deal with homicidal maniacs not being respectful of pedestrians ...
Fear is something learned , taught , driven home ...
No one should have to be afraid , ever ! For any reason .. Is fear healthy = No its not ...
Being intelligent , cautious , well informed , and prepared .. These things are healthy ...
Why anyone would want anyone else to be afraid ?

I could probably write a 10,000 word essay on fear , and fear mongering , and the scum that peddle such rubbish !
Fear mongering is the domain of evil scum ! ( And always has been through history )
It is the bread and butter of wrong doer's , criminals , scoundrels , politicians , the church , and every possible evil you can imagine ...

Irrational fear is bad. Rational fear is good.

Too many people are complacent on the roads. Ultimately it's the main cause of injury and deaths because it underlies unsafe behaviours.

I'm sick of seeing people behave recklessly. Pedestrians, cyclists, motorists, all of them. I'd much rather see them afraid and safe. The risks are REAL even when people are playing nice.

Rational fear ?
Wow !
Yeah , I dont know that fear is rational at all ..
Caution would be rational , and a decision based on intelligence , knowledge , experience and caution I can understand ..
But fear is generally very negative , damaging , and depending on the circumstance considered a medical condition that needs treating ...
Fear leads to mental disorder / phobias , and other things such as suicide ...

If your going to take the stance that fear is good , we will have to agree to disagree on that one ..

Fear vs. Caution. In this context I think different words are being used to describe the same thing - and in some cases can be used interchangeably. They can also be used symbiotically, as in "I'm cautious in my actions because I fear the outcome if I'm not."

Rational fear = I'm afraid of falling off this cliff because I know I will die. I'm afraid of walking in front of a speeding car because I know I will die. I'm afraid when someone points a gun at me with his finger on the trigger because I know I might die.

Irrational fear= someone who goes crazy because a uniformed police officer walks by with his pistol in his holster (OMG HE HAS A GUN!!!) Someone who refuses to walk on the sidewalk because he heard one time that a car drove onto a sidewalk and ran over some people.

Perhaps another way to put it... Rather than being afraid of cars, pedestrians/cyclists need to have more respect for cars because they apparently don't realize how dangerous they can be, and then don't behave properly around them. I can understand a toddler running out into the street because he has no concept of basic physics (mass + speed = inertia, plus reaction times, etc) and thus hasn't learned to respect motor vehicles. Adults should have learned that though, so when they act like toddlers, they deserve to be treated as such.

Basically made a lot of noise but were otherwise 'harmless'.

Yeah its the quiet ones you have to worry about, you allways see and hear the loud ones comming a mile avay.

Rational fear ?
Wow !
Yeah , I dont know that fear is rational at all ..
Caution would be rational , and a decision based on intelligence , knowledge , experience and caution I can understand ..
But fear is generally very negative , damaging , and depending on the circumstance considered a medical condition that needs treating ...
Fear leads to mental disorder / phobias , and other things such as suicide ...

If your going to take the stance that fear is good , we will have to agree to disagree on that one ..
You DO know what "rational fear" means, don't play dumb. You are describing it in detail in your own posts.

You do in fact seem "offended", as in, personally attacked. Your statements and attitude reveal it.

"Close" or not, "3 feet" or not, the driver was careful and paying attention to his own actions; pedestrian didn't know this, nor did he care; pedestrian was looking for trouble.

You DO know what "rational fear" means, don't play dumb. You are describing it in detail in your own posts.

You do in fact seem "offended", as in, personally attacked. Your statements and attitude reveal it.

"Close" or not, "3 feet" or not, the driver was careful and paying attention to his own actions; pedestrian didn't know this, nor did he care; pedestrian was looking for trouble.

I do know what the general term rational fear means ...
It does not mean that I agree with it ...
It does not mean that I prescribe to it ,
I do not enforce it
Nor will I ever think that fear is good ...
I will always consider fear as something that needs to be conquered ( so as not to be afraid ) ..
There are several options to fear ...
A) Be afraid
B) Avoid what scares you ( so that you dont need to be afraid )
C) Conquer the fear ( so you dont need to be afraid )
D) Dont be afraid

Again , I do not understand this need to be afraid ( fear ) , why on earth would you want to go through life being afraid ?
I think you guys are suffering from the one eyed monster ..

Because many people substitute FEAR , with
Intelligence , skill , learning , training , caution , common sense ( apparently very uncommon ) , repetition , instruction , and simply doing what scares them until they no longer are afraid ..
Obviously Im not getting through here at all ...

So be afraid , be very afraid , re affirm your fear and be happy ...

I on the other hand , will do my best to go through life not being afraid ...
Oh !!! I went for a walk this morning , and you know what , I wasn't afraid ... Not even a little !
Heck , I even crossed the road twice on my walk without being afraid ...
Hell , I even went shopping during the walk , dragged home some shopping without fear .. ( you know - muggers - rapists - the bogey man )
I just don't know - Am I too old fashioned to be afraid ? , to old , to tired , just dont give a stuff .. To many miles traveled ? Too long in the tooth ? Come close to death too many times ? Lost count of how many times I nearly died ... ( perhaps thats it ? )

Boo !

My apologies .... Been very busy re configuring my computer ( To run Linux and Windows , but not side by side )

"" You do in fact seem "offended", as in, personally attacked. Your statements and attitude reveal it. """

SEEM ???
Oh dear , I must have completely missed the boat ...
I am completely and utterly offended by FEAR MONGERING !!!

I thought I mentioned that in an earlier post , if I was overly vague I hope this clears things up ...

There are several options to fear ...
A) Be afraid
B) Avoid what scares you ( so that you dont need to be afraid )
C) Conquer the fear ( so you dont need to be afraid )
D) Dont be afraid
So which of these applies if you are afraid of putting your hand in fire? I put it to you that only A is an intelligent choice. But you are adamant that it is always wrong to be afraid.

You seem to have a phobia about fear. I don't know if that counts as irony.
You certainly have a definition of fear that is blown out of all proportion and you treat it as a more dreadful thing than it deserves. It is basically just an instinct for self-preservation. Call it that if you prefer, if it will get us out of this pointless argument.

But I know the real issue. You are one of those people who've been taught that you can fix a bad situation by viewing it differently and redefining your vocabulary. Hence your use of the word "challenge" when what you really mean is a problem or difficulty. (Honestly, I hate that word. There are always better words that are more specific and more accurate.)
You are welcome to avoid negative terminology if you want, to make you feel better about a bad situation. But I call that delusion. Personally I think it's infinitely better to face up to a bad situation being bad (e.g. dangerous) and then do something about it. It's difficult to fix a problem if you don't acknowledge it first.

You talk as if fear and common sense are mutually exclusive. They are not. Both are useful, and fear especially so since it triggers the common sense that we need. It also heightens your senses and reaction times.
The problem nowadays is that so many people are lacking in BOTH.
It's foolish to argue that fear is unnecessary if common sense is better. Because fear is useful - no, critical - to those who lack common sense.

I really don't care which of them road users apply. I just wish they would pick either one and stop doing stupid things.

P.S. I don't really want this to drag on, but I'll make this final point and bow out.

Here's why I'm against the premise that "people shouldn't need to be afraid."
While you may take that argument and conclude that intelligent behaviour makes fear unnecessary, that isn't how most people are applying it.

They are thinking:
"I shouldn't need to be afraid."
"Therefore, if I am afraid, someone else must be at fault."
"Therefore, if I proceed and something bad happens, I am not to blame, the other person is."
"Therefore, I can do whatever I want, no matter how reckless. I'm ENTITLED to do so without fear."

That really is how people are behaving nowadays. I see it every day on the roads. The more vulnerable the road user, the more they apply this soft-minded thinking and put their own lives at risk.

And whether you like it or not, when you express your opinion that people shouldn't be afraid, you are encouraging that behaviour.

Last edited:
The only thing i fear is what other ppl make me feel like, o and then ducks too, i hate those feathered nasties :D

Yield may mean if you don't run them over the first time, back up, and try again.
:)

For those repeat moments i allways seem to remember this 2 guys.

Back