Purchasing capacitor for upgrade?

lburgguy

Reaction score
Country
United States
The battery in my G1W got so hot and bloated one summer day that it popped the case open. I waited for it to cool down and carefully removed the battery. Ever since it has been running with no battery, just plugged into the 12v adapter of my car. This works fine for every video except the ones that are recording when I kill the ignition, then I lose the file as being "corrupt". I want to add a capacitor to help this situation. Am I correct in thinking that a capacitor would give the camera enough time to shut off properly once I take the key out of the ignition thus preserving the file? Also, what size capacitor should I buy? Any links? Thanks so much for reading.

There's a good chance that replacing the battery with a capacitor will not achieve what you hoping for.

A battery has more capacity than a capacitor - up to several minutes of recording capability versus just a few seconds for a capacitor. Unless the firmware in the camera is written to immediately begin the shutdown process when power is removed and properly save the last file odds are the last file will still be corrupt after replacement. Some cameras have the firmware written in such a manner that either battery or capacitor will work but they are the exception rather than the norm.

If I remember correctly my G1W cameras would record for 10-15 seconds after power was lost (I don't remember if that's menu selectable or not) and that is much longer than can be supported by any capacitor small enough to fit.

Thank you so much for your very thoughtful reply. I have some thinking to do.

if G1WC firmware will load then you can get the instant shutdown you need for capacitors

Doesn't the G1WC have the same power sensitivity problems as a capacitor-equipped Mobius?

Doesn't the G1WC have the same power sensitivity problems as a capacitor-equipped Mobius?

some do, maybe that's a hardware variation or a firmware variation, there is more than one version so it's hard to know for sure, likewise the Mobius is no issue with a capacitor for some users and is a problem for others

Back