RC500S vs SG9663DC

dougie175

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some advice and hopefully experience from anyone who has used or tried both of these cameras, I was all set to buy the SG9663DC as I have a full spare day tomorrow and could have installed it and got up and running, but due to stocking issues and Amazon not playing ball I wont be able to get it until next week when I have no time to install the unit! This gives me a little bit more breathing space to just double check I am buying the best unit for my own situation.

Things that are important to me:

Image Quality – I believe both have similar quality although looking at videos on youtube possibly the RC500S has a better quality especially when it comes to reading number plates at speed, I am not sure some of the youtube videos are 100% accurate though
Support – This is where I believe SG really impress me, I emailed DOD and they were very responsive and good but the UK seller was less than impressive. Not sure how I would fair if I had an issue with the RC500S?
Cost – Surprisingly the DOD is actually £60 cheaper for me taking into account the hardwire kits for both units this is because the UK seller is having a sale on the DOD units and has offered a discount code
Features – The both have essentially the same features unless someone can tell me something I am not aware of that 1 unit does better than another?
Updates – I feel alongside the support SG will provide updates and improvements on the SG9663DC for a lot longer into the future, the RC505S has been out a few years now and may be replaced soon possibly so support and updates may be at the end of the line?
Screen – I actually prefer not to have a screen as I find them distracting whilst driving, but because of the SG’s compact and nice design I think I can hide it behind my rear view mirror, giving me a nice easy way to setup the unit but without being distracting when driving

I think overall the SG6993DC is a better setup, although possibly not as good quality… but not sure I can justify the extra £60 over the RC500S. If I could get the SG here tomorrow I would pay the additional £60 as I don’t often get a full day to do jobs, but as I will have to wait for either setup no point rushing the purchase.

Thanks for any help and advice anyone has

DOD RC500S.jpg SG9663DC.jpg

I think due to the weekend the Prime "next day" delivery means next working day delivery (order placed on Friday will be delivered on Monday) however in the past I remember they also did Saturday deliveries too.

SG comes with 128GB + 2y no hassle local warranty . Also 18Mbps bit-rate per each channel. Selected DOD comes only with 32GB and not sure about their warranty T&C, need to read more about their service and tech specs.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

I think due to the weekend the Prime "next day" delivery means next working day delivery (order placed on Friday will be delivered on Monday) however in the past I remember they also did Saturday deliveries too.

SG comes with 128GB + 2y warranty. Also 18Mbps bit-rate per each channel and 2y no hassle local warranty. Dod only 32GB and sure about warranty T&C, need to read more about their service and tech specs.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Hi Mate.

Prime will usually deliver Saturdays if ordered on a Friday, I spoke to them on chat as suggested, they are in a different fulfilment centre or something I won't be able to get them here for tomorrow no matter what I paid.

I think the main plus point for the DOD is just how good the videos look in comparisons on YouTube, no I realise not too much weight can be put on YouTube videos but the quality is often very impressive for the DOD but I am not sure if this is because the DOD is setup better in the guys car than the other cameras each time, would you be able to send some original footage from your setup? I watched a few videos late last night from your YouTube channel, if you have any of those you could email me so I can see them before the YouTube compression to give me a true idea of how the SG records, and I can also compare them with YouTube and see just how much YouTube really reduces the quality.

Thanks

Yeah, looks like it depends on how far is your address from Amazon fulfilment centre.
My videos on YT channel are the samples from an older firmware (I think v1.14?). We do have now latest beta FW tests (v1.33 + ) and I will try to upload new videos after FW is confirmed which will take some time.
I agree with you, YT some time can be misleading in video quality judgement depending on the scene and compression rate, but true comparison must be done side by side at the same time.

I have sent you an e-mail with some original footage download link from "older" (v1.31) firmware.

Order made via Amazon for SG9663DC with a 128GB SD Card and a SG9663DC with ATO Fuse Taps due to arrive middle to end of next week. Thank You for reassuring me that the service from SG as a whole is superb and this is worth the extra money.

Looking forward to getting it up and running now!

Order made via Amazon for SG9663DC with a 128GB SD Card and a SG9663DC with ATO Fuse Taps due to arrive middle to end of next week. Thank You for reassuring me that the service from SG as a whole is superb and this is worth the extra money.

Thank you too for co-operation.
If there are any questions, feel free to e-mail.

support is priceless, you wont find better.

Yea one hard thing with dash cams or any electronics is finding one that has good support. Street Guardian has this down packed and will respond within minutes. That's one of the big reasons I picked them :D

Same. It’s not like there aren’t quite a few others out there, and well ahead in some feature categories. But the pragmatic approach to product development, proactive support, and full-content high-quality packages bring me back repeatedly.

I have the same set up (other than mine has Mini 2 fuse taps) arriving from Amazon tomorrow (cam) and Friday (HW kit). My main reason for going with this is reading the posts on here that shows the support they offer.

If you feel alone in the world with a SG product, well then its probably cuz thats how you like it, but it dont have to be that way with the brand thats for sure.

That's the SG9663DC all installed and up and running, I'm the manager of a vehicle bodyshop so just got 1 of the MET lads to quickly run the cable through the roof lining and into the boot lid of my A6. Its all very tidy and hidden, I put the rear camera mount a little lower than I would have liked as I didn't want to mount the camera onto a rear defroster line. Does anyone know if this would cause an issue. I'd just be a bit wary when it comes to removing damaging the lines.

Only bit I need to finish off and get perfect is the wires at the front coming out the roof lining to the unit, they are a bit messy at the moment, nothing more than a couple of minutes job and it'll be all finished.

1 thing I found quite interesting is my unit seems to have come with firmware 1.33 looking at the SG website 1.30 is the latest release and 1.33 is beta is this correct?

2018-08-22 20.39.38.jpg

@niko must have updated it before sending, we will have a new version for release soon, just working on that now

Ok. Wasn't moaning it's nice to get the latest build. Will update once the latest stable version is released. Is there any sort of email notification setup that you can sign up too that would notify us of a new firmware specific to our hardware model?

Cheers

not at the moment but the next update is important to people with the hardwire kits so we will probably send a notification out for that one, if you've done your online warranty registration then you would receive the notification

not at the moment but the next update is important to people with the hardwire kits so we will probably send a notification out for that one, if you've done your online warranty registration then you would receive the notification

Not done the warranty registration yet but will be getting done tomorrow. Thanks

Back