SG9663DCPro+ Intermittent/Random single beep while driving

Llethander

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Got a question, is there a list of beep codes for this camera available?

I upgraded my memory card from a 128GB No-name card from Staples to a 512GB Samsung class 10 A2 card.

Screenshot_20230824-123655.png

Before the new card it didn't beep and was fine but I wanted more space. There doesn't seem to be any set interval for the beep and it seems to be recording fine.

I've tried default settings, downloading the last firmware version release and reflashing it onto the camera, and reformatting the card on the camera.

Any ideas? Card doesn't seem to be bad and it was ordered off Amazon from the Samsung Store so I'm fairly confident that it's not a fake card.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Have you tested the card to confirm the capacity and read/write speeds?

I use h2tstw for capacity tests and Crystal Disk Mark for speed testing.

To the best of my knowledge there is no list of 'beep codes' for that camera. Maybe @Street Guardian USA can confirm that.

Have you tested the card to confirm the capacity and read/write speeds?

I use h2tstw for capacity tests and Crystal Disk Mark for speed testing.

To the best of my knowledge there is no list of 'beep codes' for that camera. Maybe @Street Guardian USA can confirm that.

I have not. I'll give that a look when I get home.

Thanks

It is going to take a while with a card that big :)

I have not. I'll give that a look when I get home.

Thanks

It is going to take a while with a card that big :)
@kamkar is correct. On some computers the best bet is to use a USB3 sd card adapter in a USB3 port. The SD card slots on some computers can limit the speed tests (I know that for a fact as the machine I'm using right now is that way) so it's best to avoid them unless you're sure of it's capabilities.

Beeping while driving is letting you know the camera is having trouble recording. The number one calls of this is a failing memory card. The number two cause is an intermittent rear camera. Communication issue from a bad bad camera port or rear port on the main camera. The DC models always come with two rear camera cables so you can test with the unused spare cable loosely ran.

Since you upgraded memory card i am inclined to think that is it, though in the day when SG sendt me lots of cameras to beat on, i was never under the impression they was memory card fuzzy.
But of course that is a while ago, and things are slowly changing in everything, though still i dont think cameras are super bad, even if i have at least 12 memory cards i test with ( 256 GB ) then most tend to work.
Though lately i have been unlucky getting 3 new cards that do not work in a viofo A 229 DUO but they all work in a Vantrue E2, which is pretty much the same as in 2 X 1440p resolution

As SGUSA also say testing with spare cable or maybe first unplugging rear camera at the main unit, might also cast light upon some mater, a dodgy rear camera cable / plug / connection can / will make dashcams act funny.
But also as he say drape spare cable loosely thru car and go for a drive, or use that for a few days if thats a option for you.

Regarding testing memory card speed, you of course can only do that if you have a card reader that support the high speeds of modern memory cards, the little reader manu provide it will MAX out at 20 MB/ s, which is far from the 80 MB/s or so cards are today.

EDIT: that samsung card was one of the 3 i was unlucky with in the viofo camera.

I'm gonna run the utility DT MI mentioned and if no issues are found I'll swap back to the old memory card that had no issue. If the intermittent single beep stops then I think it's safe to assume it's a card issue and I'll send it back. :3

Edit: Yeah, something's up to be sure. I checked the recorded files from my drive to and from work today and even though I have it set to record 5 min clips, the actual recorded clips are all random lengths. Some are 2:42, some are 1:10, etc. H2testw is gonna take 27 hours so I'll know more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Edit: Yeah, something's up to be sure. I checked the recorded files from my drive to and from work today and even though I have it set to record 5 min clips, the actual recorded clips are all random lengths. Some are 2:42, some are 1:10, etc.
Sounds very similar to an issue I had a while back (also with a Samsung card if I remember correctly). When I tested it the write speeds were just a fraction of what they should have been. To make a long story short after considerable testing and trouble shooting I did a low level format of the card using the formatting program from the SD Association (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/) and all has been well since. I have no idea what, if any, the issue might have been.

Edit: 27 hours is much too long if the card is performing as it should. Check the speed using Crystal Disk Mark as that will be much faster and if there's an issue then you can try the low level format to see if that corrects the problem.

Well, the write speeds look like hot garbage. Heck, I was watching the speed of the low level format and it was progressing at 6.6MB/s; 15 minutes in and it was still only 1% complete.
As a C10 card it should have a minimum write speed of 10MB/s and to be a V30 card it's supposed to be able to write video at a minimum of 30MB/s so it sounds like a bad card.

image_2023-08-24_211101359.png

Thank you very much for the assistance!

Last edited:
Certainly looks like a bad card. You could let the format run to completion and see if that helps, that worked for me - but a different card could certainly be a different problem.

Back