Reading the .avi files on my Apple MacBook Pro

cederbfour

Reaction score
Love my DVR dashcam - all's working well. But then I tried to connect the USB to my Macbook Pro. The DVR screen just shows a still hourglass, which I can't get rid of until I unplug from the MacBook and turn off the dashcam. When I insert the SD card into my MacBook, I can see the folders and files, but the avi files won't play. It says the codex is missing. Am I missing a step? Thanks for your help.

cederbfour said:
Love my DVR dashcam - all's working well. But then I tried to connect the USB to my Macbook Pro. The DVR screen just shows a still hourglass, which I can't get rid of until I unplug from the MacBook and turn off the dashcam. When I insert the SD card into my MacBook, I can see the folders and files, but the avi files won't play. It says the codex is missing. Am I missing a step? Thanks for your help.
Have you tried converting the AVI files to a format Macbook will play/read? I had a similar problem, but just converted my files from AVI to MP4.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=806

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help you with the hourglass, as my DVR-027 connects just fine to my MBP, but no transcoding is necessary if you just use VLC to play them.

Just take out the SD card from the DVR, insert it into your computer, and open up the files with VLC player. If you don't have it, google it and install it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S DVR-XX7 6
Street Guardian USA DVR-XX7 1
W DVR-XX7 3
Back