Real view angle of G1W original

villager

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, there,

This is my first post. I recently bought a G1W Original from a trusted seller on Amazon. Yes, I checked the seller list here before I ordered. My videos look as good as those on Youtube posted by other people. The video footages are .mov files which are also correct. The only thing bothers me is the viewing angle. The lens should be a 140° wide angle, but mine is only 80° as I measured. The camera need to be about 6 ft away from a 10 ft wide wall to cover the entire wall edge to edge. My question is, is my G1W fake or not?

Thanks!

can you upload screenshot from the camera, mounted in car and preferably in a carpark or similar

Please clarify if your 80 degree is horizontal or diagonal measurements ?
140 degree is horizontal which is provided by manufacturer. Some time they do come with 120 diagonal degree, but on packaging is listed as 140.

It is very hard to make measurements from this picture, but I had one time similar case where "by accident?" factory used narrower FOV lens than described on packaging. Not the G1W, but other non-branded dashcam.

140 degree is horizontal which is provided by manufacturer. Some time they do come with 120 diagonal degree, but on packaging is listed as 140.
Never seen any G1W or G1W-C being sold as having a 140º FoV. The G1W-H's are the ones being advertised as having that FoV but it's false because it's exactly the same on both models.

Never seen any G1W or G1W-C being sold as having a 140º FoV. The G1W-H's are the ones being advertised as having that FoV but it's false because it's exactly the same on both models.
There could be different packages with different specs written. Depending on trading company. This is a common rule in China when one trading company want to have a product with "higher specs" tgan othets. Or some time they use so called "universal packaging".

I suspect I got a genuine NT96650 chip but fake AR0330 lens. Does anybody have a video or image taken by a genuine G1W with real 140° (or 120°) FOV? A 120° FOV is about twice wider and a 140° FOV is about 3 times wider than mine (80° FOV), so the difference will be very easy to tell.

I suspect I got a genuine NT96650 chip but fake AR0330 lens. Does anybody have a video or image taken by a genuine G1W with real 140° (or 120°) FOV? A 120° FOV is about twice wider and a 140° FOV is about 3 times wider than mine (80° FOV), so the difference will be very easy to tell.

The ON Semi Conductor (formerly Aptina) AR0330 is an image sensor not a lens. However, if the camera manufacturer did use a different image sensor that was 1/2 inch wide instead of the 1/3 inch wide AR0330 then yes, the original supplied lens could be yielding a much narrower Angle of View.

Thanks for all your answers. After viewing numerous sample G1W videos posted on Youtube, I start to suspect most people have similar FOV with mine. There are only a couple of videos from G1WH having noticeable differences. You can tell when the back of the vehicles on the left or right side just pass the edge of the film. A real wide angle footage should have obvious fish eye effect. I wonder why the manufacture fools consumers with wrong specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
We were busy outdoors then with less 'webtime' on our hands- it's too hot for that now and your post dropped too far down the list.

If that won't serve as a decent excuse I'll try to think of another one :D
Ok, try again. :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U G1WX 7
Sprag G1WX 13
winter4w G1WX 3
toonami G1WX 13
C G1WX 4
Back