Rear camera (or cable?) problems

55brianb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I'm having problems connecting a rear window camera (NBDVRS2RWC) to my front 322GW.

Upon plugging in the rear cam nothing happened except the main cam froze, showing the recording indicator stopped at 1 second. The power button didn’t work, nor did the screen or unplugging the cable. The only thing which worked was the reset button, but resetting gave the same results any time the rear camera was connected. Without the rear cam everything was fine.

Had an online chat with support who told me that it was probably my Sandisk SD card (U3 Class 10) and that I needed to use either a Nextbase branded card or Sandisk High Endurance. As the Nextbase wasn’t available I ordered the Sansisk and no change - still freezing with the rear camera connected.

I spent about an hour yesterday evening rebooting, reconnecting etc and am no further on.

The main cam has the latest firmware and the SD card was formatted in the camera. Occasionally when I reset the unit I get a white frame about half-way up the left edge, presumably the rear camera frame, but this disappears and the cam freezes again with the 1 sec recording marker after another second.

Interestingly I decided to try plugging the cable into the main camera without the camera attached to the other end and same thing - the main camera frozen up and stopped at 1 second, so I’m thinking it may be the cable as the main camera works just fine without the rear cable attached.

Has anyone come across this before?

I’ve emailed support but it’s taking quite a long time to get replies and with the holidays fast approaching and the snow….

Many thanks

Brian

What about using an ohm meter as opposed to the rather expensive technique of fault finding by replacement until you find the right bit?

Well I would if I knew what I was doing/looking for ;)

What about using an ohm meter as opposed to the rather expensive technique of fault finding by replacement until you find the right bit?
not sure what system they are using, if it uses send/receive chipset in each end it may not be a straight through cable, without a schematic he's flying blind

Did you ever get a resolution to your problem?
I've just got the same camera with a rear view module and it's having the same problem when in the magnetic mount,it seems to work fine with just the battery use and charging via the USB port.

Did you ever get a resolution to your problem?
I've just got the same camera with a rear view module and it's having the same problem when in the magnetic mount,it seems to work fine with just the battery use and charging via the USB port.

Yes, the rear camera was faulty. A replacement from the shop I bought it from worked perfectly.

The main camera packed up about 3 weeks ago - faulty too. ANOTHER replacement worked fine - Nextbase weren't interested in replacing it though despite Sainsbury's (where I had bought it on special offer) no longer selling them (because of a high number of returns apparently!). So I got a refund and had to buy a new one which cost me an additional £30!

Oh and the magnetic GPS mount had also stopped working a month or so before that (couldn't receive a GPS signal) and yes, you guessed it, had to be replaced too - Nextbase replaced it though.

All in all I have to say that Nextbase isn't an impressive brand and I wouldn't buy their stuff again. It's good when it works, but it's totally unreliable and their support takes ages to sort anything out, asking questions despite having the information in previous emails I'd sent. I think it depends on which support person you deal with to be honest.

Anyway, best of luck! :)

Thanks for that.
The camera seems to work fine untill we plug the rear view module in,but as that was the main reason for buying this camera it looks like it will be going back for a refund. I went with Nextbase thinking they were supposed to be reasonable.

Also now the app on my phone won't even load,so quite a few problems with it

Also having same issue. Have 522GW, freezes on 1 second when rear camera plugged in. Bought a new sd card, same issue. Bought a new rear camera and cable. Same issue. Bought a 422GW to check it wasn't the main camera, and again same issue. Any advice? I'm thinking thinking its a power issue, like there isn't enough to power both cameras at the same time causing a crash. Tried via both USB and adapter.

Any help appreciated. My last resort is a hardwire.

Also having same issue. Have 522GW, freezes on 1 second when rear camera plugged in. Bought a new sd card, same issue. Bought a new rear camera and cable. Same issue. Bought a 422GW to check it wasn't the main camera, and again same issue. Any advice? I'm thinking thinking its a power issue, like there isn't enough to power both cameras at the same time causing a crash. Tried via both USB and adapter.

Any help appreciated. My last resort is a hardwire.
Nextbase sent us another magnetic mount as it seemed to be that on ours. It does still occasionally freeze after connecting to the mount but seems to resolve when we reset the camera whilst connected to the mount with the power source off,ours is hardwired into the car.

Back