Rear camera to record outside, IR vs non-IR

ydgr

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had bought A129 Pro without any rear camera thinking that I could get IR later as there were (are) no "PRO DUO IR" set.
I thought IR would be better, becase:
- It could benefit from lack of IR-cut filter even if I always use "Color Mode" to turn off leds to prevent reflections related to rear lines on the rear window + any other reflection caused by the tint. So, even without the IR-Leds, it could show me more detail with the help of natural IR available around.
- It has wider FOV, so it could show more of the action.
- I did not (still do not) care about the pinkish cast caused by the lackness of IR-cut filter.

If I did wrong, that means I will be paying more to non-IR rear cam as I had not bought the pro duo set, if I am right, I will buy IR rear cam and use Color Mode. I need your help. I will be glad if you share your experience. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

1. Color Mode does not turn off the LEDs, but you can always cover the LEDs.
2. Only some objects are coloured in IR frequencies, so you will get a better image of trees and grass while there is still some natural light, but for most car paint it makes no difference, and most car and street lights do not produce much IR so even the grass can appear dark at night.
3. I've never noticed a difference in the FOV, there may be a difference but I don't think it is a big one.
4. It is very nice when the IR camera has correct colour in daylight, sometimes the pink is OK but other times it seems to go over exposed on the IR in sunlight and that doesn't look good, I think it depends on which window the sun comes through, some of my windows have better IR filters than others.

It seems to me that you are overthinking this, if you want a rear outside camera then the standard rear camera is the best choice, if you want an interior camera then the interior camera is the best choice, and while you might be able to find advantages to using the interior camera for the exterior view, the improvements will be very small and come with some disadvantages that may be not so small.

You could think about putting an A119 V3 on the rear, that gives you a 2K rear view which is definitely superior to the 1080 IR interior camera, although you will need to wait for a sale to match the price.

It should work exactly as you predict.

I have the Pro Duo and the IR rear camera and I interchange as I need.

If you use the IR cam with the Pro Duo without the IR firmware, the Pro Duo will assume its the normal rear camera, you will have no option to switch between color or IR mode, it will stay in color mode.

But if your main goal is just to reduce reflection, you are better off with the CPL filter.

Back