REC LED light fast blink and no screen

• Thread starter Deleted member 56879
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56879

Got into the wife's car tonight and the REC led light was fast blinking and I couldn't get the screen to light up.
  • I pulled the power, but when it booted back up it was doing the same thing.
  • I held down the power, lights went out, then I clicked the power again and the camera came back normal.

I asked the mrs if she did anything and she said when it beeped she "may" have hit the record button. I told her beeping is normal between park mode and driving. She stated she couldn't remember if she hit any buttons. Regardless the rest of the night it worked fine for me.

I'm trying to decipher what might have happened to lock the unit up, no screen, couldn't get it to wake up by hitting the PIP button, and even pulling power didn't do the trick. Something to worry about?

I would at least format the memory card in the camera, maybe even bring it inside and test the memory card with H2testw.
And probably keep close tabs on it for a little while just to make sure its just a fluke.

I have personally had a SG camera that suddenly went weird on me, and apparently nothing i could do to change that.
But reloading the firmware ( same as was on camera ) made it normal again and it have been so for months now.

It seem like some times a dashcam can trip over its own feet.

O yeah, that's solid advise too (y) those things are not on my mind as in all honesty i pretty much never use wifi on a product.
I know many other people go thru the day going wifi - wifi - wifi - wifi - wifi - wifi - wifi, but i am the exact opposite of that.

So it was nothing the wife did, because it happened to me. So here is what I did. I got an updated fuse box chart from honda and cross matched it to my actual fuse box. Looks like I was tapped into some less than perfect fuses for my purpose. For the battery wire, originally I was tapped into LAF??? Looked that up and had something to do with a sensor for the air/fuel... NOT a good choice for the battery fuse (oops!) Well that's fixed now. For the live current, who knows what I was tapped into.

So I moved some stuff around. Used "Small int. light FUSE" for battery (tester proved good!) and I found the radio fuse and tapped into that for the live current.

Once that was all set, I connected my camera to my laptop and reflashed the firmware. One weird thing happened after I reflashed the FW, I couldn't log into the 2.4 ghz WiFi. I got "incorrect password." I manually went into the unit and set it to 5Ghz... Then I could connect.

I formatted the SD card, and did a reset factory reset on the A129, then set the camera back up again.

One more change I made was setting loop recording from 3 minutes to 1 minute. Currently I have a 16 GiB SD card, (planning on getting a new bigger one soon), but I've heard that with only having a 16GiB and 3 minute loops, I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) that the unit has a hard time once the card fills up to re-loop.

Anyway, I've been testing it since I made all these changes this morning, and so far so good... Knock on wood!

So you guys are saying that if I have WiFi enabled on the camera, I'm going to run into rerecording issues? Hmm... I'll have to make sure I disable that. Thanks!

So it was nothing the wife did, because it happened to me. So here is what I did. I got an updated fuse box chart from honda and cross matched it to my actual fuse box. Looks like I was tapped into some less than perfect fuses for my purpose. For the battery wire, originally I was tapped into LAF??? Looked that up and had something to do with a sensor for the air/fuel... NOT a good choice for the battery fuse (oops!) Well that's fixed now. For the live current, who knows what I was tapped into.

So I moved some stuff around. Used "Small int. light FUSE" for battery (tester proved good!) and I found the radio fuse and tapped into that for the live current.

Once that was all set, I connected my camera to my laptop and reflashed the firmware. One weird thing happened after I reflashed the FW, I couldn't log into the 2.4 ghz WiFi. I got "incorrect password." I manually went into the unit and set it to 5Ghz... Then I could connect.

I formatted the SD card, and did a reset factory reset on the A129, then set the camera back up again.

One more change I made was setting loop recording from 3 minutes to 1 minute. Currently I have a 16 GiB SD card, (planning on getting a new bigger one soon), but I've heard that with only having a 16GiB and 3 minute loops, I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) that the unit has a hard time once the card fills up to re-loop.

Anyway, I've been testing it since I made all these changes this morning, and so far so good... Knock on wood!

So you guys are saying that if I have WiFi enabled on the camera, I'm going to run into rerecording issues? Hmm... I'll have to make sure I disable that. Thanks!
Having WiFi on won’t cause recording issues, but it will lock the buttons on the camera. With WiFi on you’ll need to use the app to make any changes. Leaving WiFi on will also cut the bitrate in about half, which will affect image quality. Just leave WiFi off when not in use.
What fuse did you tap for the yellow ACC wire? Not sure what you mean by “live current”. I assume you mean it’s only live when car is on?

Yeah, I meant car is on...
Yellow ACC - Radio
Red Battery - Small Interior Light.

Good info on the WiFi, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an update came out this morning and it’s not recording. Beeping and fast blink.

It seems like it has issues going from park mode to continuous mode.

Maybe try boot delay 15 seconds or so.
I seem to recall reading in here somewhere that having wifi on also leave camera recording with a lesser bitrate, but i am unsure if that was for this particular camera.

Did you check the radio fuse (or whatever wire you tapped) with a meter? Your radio may not turn on when the car is off, but that dosen't necessarily mean that the fuse or wire you tapped isn't still live.
The car symbol in the top left corner of the screen when the camera is on and recording normally means that parking mode is enabled in the menu. The car symbol will change once the camera has changed over to parking mode. For motion detection, I believe it changes over to the icon of a walking man. If you don't see the icon change, within 20 seconds or so, over to the man icon, then something is not connected correctly.

Maybe try boot delay 15 seconds or so.
I seem to recall reading in here somewhere that having wifi on also leave camera recording with a lesser bitrate, but i am unsure if that was for this particular camera.

Thanks I'll make that change.

Did you check the radio fuse (or whatever wire you tapped) with a meter? Your radio may not turn on when the car is off, but that dosen't necessarily mean that the fuse or wire you tapped isn't still live.
The car symbol in the top left corner of the screen when the camera is on and recording normally means that parking mode is enabled in the menu. The car symbol will change once the camera has changed over to parking mode. For motion detection, I believe it changes over to the icon of a walking man. If you don't see the icon change, within 20 seconds or so, over to the man icon, then something is not connected correctly.

Parking mode works great, no issues there. It's when I start the car I get the continuous beep and the record light is flashing. It seems like it's having issues enabling normal record mode while the engine is running after being off for a while. Oddly it's random. Most of the time, when transitioning form park to normal, I get 4 beeps when it transitions from parking mode to continuous/normal recording when I start the engine.

Randomly, it does nothing... just flashes and beeps. If I hit the record button it starts working. Again, this is random. I wish I could say it's after a long or short period of being in parking mode, but I can't reproduce it.

RE Fuses: Yes, I have a tester, I mention I tested in my first post. Second post I stated:
Yellow ACC - Radio ---> This would be constant power when the engine is running.
Red Battery - Small Interior Light ---> Tested with a tester when the engine was off, no key in the ignition and I got power to the tester from this fuse.

I'll change the boot delay. Perhaps it's a voltage issue not causing it to kick over to normal mode. I know my Thinkware F800 Pro has a built in delay longer than this camera. I don't recall the actual delay time between parking and normal/continuous, but I can tell the Viofo has a shorter transition time.

Max boot delay is 10 seconds. I just made that change and turned off WiFi.

Boot delay won't help if the camera is already on and still in parking mode. Boot delay will only help when the camera is off and starting up.
If memory serves me, it should be just two beeps when it transitions to and from parking mode, but I'd have to double check.
Sorry, I guess I'm confusing this thread with another similar thread. Thought you were having issues with parking mode.
What brand and model memory card are you using? If the REC light is flashing fast, that could indicate a memory card issue. I would definitely get a bigger card. Just be sure it's a recommended card for the A129.

Boot delay won't help if the camera is already on and still in parking mode. Boot delay will only help when the camera is off and starting up.
If memory serves me, it should be just two beeps when it transitions to and from parking mode, but I'd have to double check.
Sorry, I guess I'm confusing this thread with another similar thread. Thought you were having issues with parking mode.
What brand and model memory card are you using? If the REC light is flashing fast, that could indicate a memory card issue. I would definitely get a bigger card. Just be sure it's a recommended card for the A129.

Your right there was another thread where I questioned Parking mode because my icon was different from what someone else had.

The memory card is a 16 GiB Thinkware branded. It was part of the kit from BBMC.

Can you recommend a good SD card which I can pick up locally at a Bestbuy?

I too sense it’s the card. It’s probably getting full faster than it can loop. Especially if parking mode it’s set to motion sensing. (Little guy waking icon).

Thanks again...

Not sure I can really recommend any card at Best Buy, though I'm sure some will work just fine. The Samsung EVO Plus cards should be fine, but they are pricey at Best Buy. Your best bet is the SanDisk Ultra A1 card or the Samsung EVO Select cards at Amazon. Best Buy does not seem to carry the Ultra A1 cards, only the older non A1 cards, which should not be used. I would go for the SanDisk Ultra A1. I have been using the 256GB version in both of my A129 DUO setups without issue for about 6 months now. Good price as well. I linked the 128GB cards.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B073JYC4XM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XWZWYVP

I have similar but opposite problem, with wifi off the camera would enter parking mode but randomly after that would stop recording and keep "beep beep" + fast blinking led. With wifi on out works but seem to drain my car battery faster? Using a Samsung pro endurance 128gb formatted by the camera several time

I have similar but opposite problem, with wifi off the camera would enter parking mode but randomly after that would stop recording and keep "beep beep" + fast blinking led. With wifi on out works but seem to drain my car battery faster? Using a Samsung pro endurance 128gb formatted by the camera several time
With WiFi on, it will certainly use more power. Have you tested the card with h2testW? Be sure card is empty before testing.

With wifi on the bitrate is lower and easier on the card, suspect the memory card is not up to the faster speeds necessary when wifi is off

Check the card specs- many "endurance" cards have relarively low "write" speeds. and today's dashcams with their higher bitrates do a LOT of writing to the card ;)

Phil

Not sure I can really recommend any card at Best Buy, though I'm sure some will work just fine. The Samsung EVO Plus cards should be fine, but they are pricey at Best Buy. Your best bet is the SanDisk Ultra A1 card or the Samsung EVO Select cards at Amazon. Best Buy does not seem to carry the Ultra A1 cards, only the older non A1 cards, which should not be used. I would go for the SanDisk Ultra A1. I have been using the 256GB version in both of my A129 DUO setups without issue for about 6 months now. Good price as well. I linked the 128GB cards.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B073JYC4XM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XWZWYVP

I ordered the Sandisk.

I disabled WiFi and so far all day, no issues. Perhaps WiFi interferes. It also fixed another issue on another thread which I’ll update.

So we’ll see what happens in the am and update this thread.

Back