Recent trip to southern Utah

Raptor1956

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been using a Blackvue 600 for a year and have had my problems with it and am looking to replace it, probably with the DOD LS470W+. But, during my trip I took a good many still pictures with a few Nikon DSLR's I have and I also took a good deal of video from an Inspire 1 Pro drone.

Mexican Hat in 4K

Valley of the Gods in 4K

Moki Dugway in 4K

And another video of the Moki Dugway done using a Panasonic GH-2 with 7-14mm lens a 7mm. I fabricated a magnetic mount to attach the camera to the top of the car on the roof just back from the top of the windshield. This arrangement provides something like a dashcam but without the glare from the windshield.

So, I've been pretty busy with Premiere Pro editing this video -- hope you enjoy...

Brian

Last edited:
awesome footage! you've just convinced me to do a Utah trip sooner rather than later. BTW, we have a radio control thread with other quadcopter enthusiasts and a photography thread both located in the off topic section that you should contribute in. :)

Yeah Utah is a must, i think i would have to be in that state for a couple of weeks to make sure i get it all.

Cool footage. When you say your next dash cam might be the LS480W+, I assume your referring to a future model, since there is no such model yet? Or did you mean the LS470W+?

awesome footage! you've just convinced me to do a Utah trip sooner rather than later. BTW, we have a radio control thread with other quadcopter enthusiasts and a photography thread both located in the off topic section that you should contribute in. :)

Ahh, did not know that...

I'll have to check that out. The last video I linked, however, was not done with a drone but instead used a home made magnetic mount for my Panasonic GH-2 camera. Mounting to the top of the car provides the same kind of view as a dashcam but without the reflections off the windshield. The mount has a ballhead so I can position the camera in any position or pan it side to side though not while driving.

Brian

Yeah Utah is a must, i think i would have to be in that state for a couple of weeks to make sure i get it all.

Couple weeks ... not even close! You could spend a week in each of the parks and not see everything and that's not counting the areas that aren't even part of the park system. None of the video I linked is from a national park -- it's not legal to fly a drone in any of the national parks.

But, if you have a couple weeks there's definitely a route you can take that will pass by many of the parks and depending on the time of year could include a day or so in Vegas if you haven't lost all your money by then.

List of parks:

Near Moab or Hanksville

1. Arches NP
2. Canyonlands NP
3. Capitol Reef NP
4. Glen Canyon National Recreation Area

Near Kanab

1. Zion NP
2. Bryce Canyon NP
3. Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
4. North rim of the Grand Canyon
5. Vermilion Cliffs National Monument
6. Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
7. Coral Pink Sand Dunes Park

And again, none of the video's linked here are from the list above so add a crap ton more places into your two weeks! All four of the linked videos are within a 10 miles of the Utah town of Mexican Hat.

Brian

Cool footage. When you say your next dash cam might be the LS480W+, I assume your referring to a future model, since there is no such model yet? Or did you mean the LS470W+?

Yeah, that's a typo, should be LS470W+ -- I'll fix that now...

Brian

Okay, well i am guessing over here, but i would just love to spend 5-6 months over there seeing your fine country and get a little under the skin of you guys.

But come fall and cold temperatures i am off to the other side of the earth and southern hemisphere to get some close up time with the ppl over there too.

But thats just a pipedream im affraid :(

Okay, well i am guessing over here, but i would just love to spend 5-6 months over there seeing your fine country and get a little under the skin of you guys.

But come fall and cold temperatures i am off to the other side of the earth and southern hemisphere to get some close up time with the ppl over there too.

But thats just a pipedream im affraid :(

It all depends on what's in the pipe! :D

Brian

Back