Recommended SD Card for 522gw

Jay888

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys,

New here and to Dash cams in general, but I have just purchased the 522GW as my first ever Dash Cam.

My question is what would be the recommended SD Card to use? I've seen mixed reviews and its understandable Nextbase recommend their own brand, but they are fairly expensive compared to the other on the market.

I was looking at the Sandisk one below( writes up to 90MB/s), as it meets the requirements, so can anyone help if this should be ok to use?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07FCMRBTM
Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for your post. We only recommend using a Nextbase SD card within a Nextbase dashcam to guarantee the functionality and warranty of the SD card.
A third party card could be used, however we cannot guarantee that the card will write at the required speed, and therefore if a third party card is used we cannot guarantee successful recordings.
For a 522GW I'd recommend a Nextbase 64GB or 128GB U3 SD card.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

Thanks for your post. We only recommend using a Nextbase SD card within a Nextbase dashcam to guarantee the functionality and warranty of the SD card.
A third party card could be used, however we cannot guarantee that the card will write at the required speed, and therefore if a third party card is used we cannot guarantee successful recordings.
For a 522GW I'd recommend a Nextbase 64GB or 128GB U3 SD card.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support
Thank you Millie for the info.

l did not go for the Nextbase card purely based on price. I purchased a Sandisk 128 gb Ultra pro U3, as used in video cameras etc, it’s virtually 1/3 the price. Mine works fine, never missed a beat. But you pay your money and take a chance or pay top wack.

l did not go for the Nextbase card purely based on price. I purchased a Sandisk 128 gb Ultra pro U3, as used in video cameras etc, it’s virtually 1/3 the price. Mine works fine, never missed a beat. But you pay your money and take a chance or pay top wack.
Thanks for the info.

Hello Guys,

New here and to Dash cams in general, but I have just purchased the 522GW as my first ever Dash Cam.

My question is what would be the recommended SD Card to use? I've seen mixed reviews and its understandable Nextbase recommend their own brand, but they are fairly expensive compared to the other on the market.

I was looking at the Sandisk one below( writes up to 90MB/s), as it meets the requirements, so can anyone help if this should be ok to use?

Thanks!
Hello Guys,

Thanks!
I
Hello Guys,

Thanks!
Hi there just wanted to say about the sd cards iv got a 422 in the front and 322 in the rear of my car and both work fine with scandisk cards probably best to use Nextbase own for warranty purposes but I think the main reason for them recommending there own is that they are U3 cards and not U1 as most cheaper cards seem to be but if you don't use nextbase own probably best to use one of the better quality brands but defo ensure its one of the more expensive U3 cards as the others will not be able to record dual files needed for the rear/cabin view camera modules .

I

Hi there just wanted to say about the sd cards iv got a 422 in the front and 322 in the rear of my car and both work fine with scandisk cards probably best to use Nextbase own for warranty purposes but I think the main reason for them recommending there own is that they are U3 cards and not U1 as most cheaper cards seem to be but if you don't use nextbase own probably best to use one of the better quality brands but defo ensure its one of the more expensive U3 cards as the others will not be able to record dual files needed for the rear/cabin view camera modules .
Hi, Thanks for your advice.

I opted for the Samsung EVO Plus U3 class 10, as it got good reviews and great quality.

However, seeing that my dashcam lasts 90 seconds and the battery goes dead I'm not sure If I made a worthwhile purchase. Appears to be a common issue now that I have googled it.

Yeh that seems to be common to dashcams overall (not just nextbase) my previous cameras by other brands were probably less than that but it's long enough for it to records any incidents whilst your car is parked which I'm pressuming is the only time you'd want it to records without the ignition being on , unless iv miss understood your comment about that issue

Yeh that seems to be common to dashcams overall (not just nextbase) my previous cameras by other brands were probably less than that but it's long enough for it to records any incidents whilst your car is parked which I'm pressuming is the only time you'd want it to records without the ignition being on , unless iv miss understood your comment about that issue
Hi, yes that is the correct issue. I'm new to Dashcams(my first one actually) so was unsure what the life would be, I can see the manual says 10-15 mins, but 90 secs seems a lot less. But what you say about the recording after the car has been switched off makes sense.

I've not installed it yet, so the settings are default.

Yeh your right it seems like it would be useless only having a minute or so life without power but it is enough to record a good half a dozen 10 second clips if triggered whist parked etc so would cover you if your car is bumped whilst in a car park etc

Think you have to set it to auto power off so it powers down with the ignition off prior to powering down due to battery drain if that makes sense and adjust your gravity sensor to ensure its triggered with any vibration and in park mode

After God knows how many issues with freezing, power up, power down, etc etc, I recently, well, 5 months ago, swapped my Nextbase SD card for a SanDisk 128GB High Endurance microSDXC. Amazingly, I haven't had a single blip since! Go figure!

Good choice, I’ve said it many times, I’ve used ScanDisk for a number of years in both my old 512 and now my 522 (with rear camera) without a hitch and without the price. Hope it serves you well.

Good choice, I’ve said it many times, I’ve used ScanDisk for a number of years in both my old 512 and now my 522 (with rear camera) without a hitch and without the price. Hope it serves you well.
I also have the rear camera plug-in with my 522GW. Nextbase cards are extortionate. I picked up my my Sandisk for £12 on amazon! What's not to like?

Back