Recording dash cam video to an external device

KevinF

Reaction score
Country
United States
This topic can apply to all dash cams and I hope that there is a quick solution out there.

Here is a scenario: Dash cam is mounted on dashboard or window and it records you with a green light, but you are broadsided by someone running a red light.

You are knocked out from the resulting collision, but the other person isn't. They see you have a dash cam and steal it to remove the SD card and destroy it to cover their tracks before the police arrive. How can we prevent loss of this video data?

I would like to find a cable or wireless transmitter (preferable) that could record the clips in real time to an external device (SD card reader/writer, or laptop hard drive in a case, for example) that is powered by the car's 12 volt system or a 5 volt step-down transformer. The recording device could be stashed in the trunk or other secure area and would behave just as the micro SD card would with looping, 3-5 minute clips, and other parameters.

The transmitter could be either mini-USB and be plugged into the camera and drawing power from the cable, or a micro SD form factor that sends a signal to a remote writer.

Does anyone know of an existing system that does that? If there is no "plug and play" device, what parts can I get to suit the same purpose?

Thanks!

If you are worried about that, there are remote lens cameras where you can hide/lock the main body with sd card inside glove box or something.
For example,
SGZC12RC

This topic can apply to all dash cams and I hope that there is a quick solution out there.

Here is a scenario: Dash cam is mounted on dashboard or window and it records you with a green light, but you are broadsided by someone running a red light.

You are knocked out from the resulting collision, but the other person isn't. They see you have a dash cam and steal it to remove the SD card and destroy it to cover their tracks before the police arrive. How can we prevent loss of this video data?

I would like to find a cable or wireless transmitter (preferable) that could record the clips in real time to an external device (SD card reader/writer, or laptop hard drive in a case, for example) that is powered by the car's 12 volt system or a 5 volt step-down transformer. The recording device could be stashed in the trunk or other secure area and would behave just as the micro SD card would with looping, 3-5 minute clips, and other parameters.

The transmitter could be either mini-USB and be plugged into the camera and drawing power from the cable, or a micro SD form factor that sends a signal to a remote writer.

Does anyone know of an existing system that does that? If there is no "plug and play" device, what parts can I get to suit the same purpose?

Thanks!

Respectfully, I would suggest that the possible scenario you are imagining is rather farfetched and highly unlikely. If the accident you are in is bad enough to render you unconscious, the chances are the other guy will have other concerns at that time than to rummage through your vehicle looking to steal evidence. Buy yourself a good quality, discreet dash cam and don't allow your imagination run away with you. ;)

The more stealth dashcam you have - the less chance that someone will see it in order to steal it.

Back