remove GPS data from video files?

budster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, it looks like GPS data is embedded in the .mov video files that the SG9665GC writes to. I was wondering if I wanted to give the video files to a 3rd party, but not the GPS data, is there a way to remove the GPS data from the video files? Even if there was a way, would this be considered tampering with evidence if the video files were being used to show who's at fault in an accident? I wouldn't want my case to fail just because the GPS data was showing that I was driving a couple miles over the speed limit. I'm starting to think now that enabling GPS on the dashcam is not worth it as it may be more trouble than the fun factor of following where I've been driving on a map.

when you strip the data out during export that is transparent to anyone that views the files, the recordings are unaltered

Ok, thanks for showing how to remove the GPS data during export. But since the exported file is a new file, it will have a new timestamp different from the original file. The file properties will show when it's been created/modified. I'm wondering if it could be claimed that the file was later edited if it was presented for evidence in an accident and get thrown out. Maybe this is a question for lawyers instead.

They can always determine speed based on 30fps and moving objects frame to frame if it comes down to that.

You can turn GPS logging off in the menu or unplug GPS cable of you no longer want logging.

Ok, thanks for showing how to remove the GPS data during export. But since the exported file is a new file, it will have a new timestamp different from the original file. The file properties will show when it's been created/modified. I'm wondering if it could be claimed that the file was later edited if it was presented for evidence in an accident and get thrown out. Maybe this is a question for lawyers instead.
It could definitely be challenged and potentially thrown out. A lot would depend on the rules of evidence in use.

As has already been pointed out it's relatively easy to determine speed without GPS data so you may be worrying about it needlessly. I've already posted an example somewhere - I'll see if I can find it and update this post.

Edit: @budster - Found the post with a real world example of determining speed with nothing more than the video itself without any GPS data.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/dome-dab202.17083/#post-222840

Last edited:
if it's a concern I wouldn't turn on embedded speed display in the video, that you can't remove without it being obvious, for the underlying data you do need specific playback software to reveal speed, location etc so it's not something that is immediately obvious to anyone that is going to view your files on a pc, not even an option on an Android tablet or similar

They can always determine speed based on 30fps and moving objects frame to frame if it comes down to that.
That's my game!
Here the GPS logger was not started yet, but as lines on the road are 9+3 meters I could clok the AMG at 151 km/h in an 80.

That's my game!
Here the GPS logger was not started yet, but as lines on the road are 9+3 meters I could clok the AMG at 151 km/h in an 80.
cant view it.

Back