Review: AUSDOM A261 HDR UHD 2K 1296P Dashcam Car DVR Built in GPS-Gearbest.com

Yeah , you want to run 2304 x 1296
2560 x 1080 is like , wide screen ... ???
And then you got to be sure your video player will play , wide screen ..

My video is not 1920.
It's 2560x1080p.

I even tried this resolution but the video is horrible on Samsung UHD Tv. There is too much noise on video and number plates for the parked cars are barely readable even under daylight conditions. Even the number plates of the cars that take over my car, are not readable.

Please advise;

1. Which firmware you are using?
  2. Did you change EV Bias settings for day and night videos?
  3. Is there anybody in the forum, who upgrade or downgrade the Ausdom A261 firmware?

Last edited:
The distorted still images are below. If you look at the door on the left and the ceiling, you can understand the lens have fisheye effect. Even the carpet shows the same feature.

2016-06-18-23-18-57.JPG 2016-06-18-23-18-57.JPG 2016-06-20-22-20-24.JPG 2016-06-20-22-20-35.JPG 2016-06-20-22-20-58.JPG

2304*1286 video is below. It is impossible to read number plates, not only at night, but also during the daytime.

2560*1080 video is even worse at night.

Please advise what to do to correct number plate reading feature? How can I obtain the similar image and video quality like Sunny have?

Last edited:
Here is the response from Ausdom to my email about how to solve distorted image and noisy video problem;

Here is the data for your reference

Cuz the wide view angle and more clear to see the number plates
So the picture show like that.User can see the number plates clearly in valid range.
A vedio was made at dust can look clearly in the Amazon user reported.
Do not hesitate to contact us again when you have any problems again.
Abour your photos and vedio,we suggest you wipe the product lens.

I would strongly suggest potantial customers to stay away from this company and it's products. They suggested me to clean the lens, inorder to be able to read the number plates. Like a joke!

Gearbest.com has a flashsale on this for $66. Get it while it's hot.

The distorted still images are below. If you look at the door on the left and the ceiling, you can understand the lens have fisheye effect. Even the carpet shows the same feature.

View attachment 23973 View attachment 23973 View attachment 23974 View attachment 23975 View attachment 23976

2304*1286 video is below. It is impossible to read number plates, not only at night, but also during the daytime.

2560*1080 video is even worse at night.

Please advise what to do to correct number plate reading feature? How can I obtain the similar image and video quality like Sunny have?

Those videos are not too bad considering they were taken in twilight ... I think it would be pretty difficult to get a better pic in a twilight situation.
You should compare videos taken during the day and at night; not in between.

Those videos are not too bad considering they were taken in twilight ... I think it would be pretty difficult to get a better pic in a twilight situation.
You should compare videos taken during the day and at night; not in between.

I will upload new day and night videos in 2 weeks time. My videos will be 1920×1080 45&30 fps for most of the users to be able to play the videos on their Smart Tv's.

Here is the new videos from AUSDOM A261.

Night time "Full HD" video, HDR is on;

Daytime "Full HD" video, 45 fps;

Additional Conclusions;

1. I tested the cam under very strong temperature conditions (31-39 degrees Celcious) and with direct sunlight for 2 weeks time; the case is still strong, logo and the decorations are still visible, it does not show any negative effect such as losing focus.
  2. I left the camera in the car, when the car is directly under the strong sunlight, for more than 8 hours. Neither battery nor the videos have any negative effect, apart from the well known problems.
  3. Here are the video issues;
    1. Micro vibrations coming from the car provides strong distortion on videos and the image quality decreases.
    2. So, number plate visibility is limited to maximum 15 meters, even under strong day light.
    3. There is no credible difference to human eye between 30 and 45 fps. But 45 fps provides better images to read the number plates and letters.
    4. Strong reflection from the rear windscreen distords the video as well, filters should be commercially available but assume, due to the lens design there is no place to hold the filter to the lens.
  4. 5 minute Full HD, 45 fps video is 733.664 kbps (720 mb). Thus, on 64 GB SDCard, you can save only the videos from the last 2 days, which is definately not enough!

Additional Conclusions;

1. I tested the cam under very strong temperature conditions (31-39 degrees Celcious) and with direct sunlight for 2 weeks time; the case is still strong, logo and the decorations are still visible, it does not show any negative effect such as losing focus.
  2. I left the camera in the car, when the car is directly under the strong sunlight, for more than 8 hours. Neither battery nor the videos have any negative effect, apart from the well known problems.
    1. Micro vibrations coming from the car provides strong distortion on videos and the image quality decreases.
    2. So, number plate visibility is limited to maximum 15 meters, even under strong day light.
    3. There is no credible difference to human eye between 30 and 45 fps. But 45 fps provides better images to read the number plates and letters.
    4. Strong reflection from the rear windscreen distords the video as well, filters should be commercially available but assume, due to the lens design there is no place to hold the filter to the lens.
  4. 5 minute Full HD, 45 fps video is 733.664 kbps (720 mb). Thus, on 64 GB SDCard, you can save only the videos from the last 2 days, which is definately not enough!

give it time , it will go bad if it stays day after day under those harsh conditions.

Additional Conclusions;

give it time , it will go bad if it stays day after day under those harsh conditions.

This is the only source that I can find about firmware ugrade or factory reset about Ausdom A261. It is in Turkish but you can benefit from Google Translate to understand how to perform this operation;

https://teknoseyir.com/durum/402938

Thanks for reply. I suspect that DOD LS300W should also be compatible (at least it has similar mount hole, size may differ).

I've ordered two different mounts from Aliexpress:

I'll post later if they fit.

32418571615 (Hong Kong Ontop Technology Co.,Limited) - sent me a fake, without rotary pad. Not tested.
32622948470 (chonchow) - arrived as described. Although it's not fully compatible with A261 it could be used after applying some tools like needle file and double sided duct tape. First was used to grind off the holding tooth, second - to fit the height and make it to sit firmly:

ausdom_a261_alt_holder_01.jpg
ausdom_a261_alt_holder_02.jpg

Sorry for the quality, I forgot to take DSLR camera. I can't say it's usable for everyday but it's enough for the weekend car.

I have had mine for a few months now and here are the important bits that I pass on to potential buyers.

Pros:
1) Awesome quality during day time recording, average at best for night time recording.
2) Built quality is phenomenal, this goes for everything included in the box i.e. the camera, mount, cables, charger etc.
3) Easy to set up.

Cons:
1) MICROVIBRATION. I have tried everything to eliminate the micro vibrations to no avail. I bought a solid mount from ebay hoping it would work with the Ausdom but it did not as it was made for the G1W, so ended up taking the suction bit off of the OEM mount and installed it using oem mount, which helped a bit but not a whole lot. The tension screw in the mount kept coming loose, so i replaced it with a nylock locking nut, so that problem is solved but the vibrations are still there, I have come to the conclusion that the micro vibrations will always be there with suspended style dash cams, this due to the camera acting like a pendulum on one fixed spot. The only way to get rid of the vibrations is if you have a camera fixed to the windshield for instance the A118. I have learned to live with the vibrations as it only effects comprehending the license plates.

2) I had a ton of issue with glare from the slanted windshield, gladly it got sorted using a CPL which I picked up from ebay for $5. Its made for gopro and is mounted using double sided tape. The CPL came with a threaded mount, I shaved the mount and installed it onto the camera using double sided tape, the CPL also covers the printed insignia on the front of the cam.

if anyone is interested this the CPL that I used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171723028526
3) Video quality does tend to get a bit foggy due to heat.

4) Lack of firmware support from the manufacturer.

Would I recommend this camera? Yes if you are looking for a decently priced camera with good video quality and built-in GPS.
No if not being able to read license plates due to micro vibrations is a deal breaker.

Attachments

• 0-02-01-a7a225c9de073f5f513ada8c6252cfdf2aa3d6c04c321c01a02063f0db9601c4_full.jpg
    0-02-01-a7a225c9de073f5f513ada8c6252cfdf2aa3d6c04c321c01a02063f0db9601c4_full.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 0-02-01-1c86b182ba38943c5fe33b7e43d0b28a627e045083fa16eda6cd5b3aa8845d6c_full.jpg
    0-02-01-1c86b182ba38943c5fe33b7e43d0b28a627e045083fa16eda6cd5b3aa8845d6c_full.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 0-02-01-e26168ec90a2c8b0c62024c341f323306e9dd7f35d3e57df627efd4d1c658805_full.jpg
    0-02-01-e26168ec90a2c8b0c62024c341f323306e9dd7f35d3e57df627efd4d1c658805_full.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 12

Would I recommend this camera? Yes if you are looking for a decently priced camera with good video quality and built-in GPS.
No if not being able to read license plates due to micro vibrations is a deal breaker.

I agree with you. Built quality is good, built-in GPS is nice but the camere is not good at all as many of the users buy this device to submit the video shot to law enforcement authorities incase of an accident.

On this dashcam, the number plates are not readable at all, even during the daylight, because of microvibration effect.

I bought this cam by looking at the advertisement videos on Youtube and by reading the technical specifications on internet. However, I realized after I bought that, the drivers used external gimbal to shot the advertisement videos on Youtube. So, if you want to buy dashcam to read number plates incase of accident or any dangerous encounter, you should;

1. Either do not buy dashcam like this one, with no built in gyro with anti-shake,
  2. Buy gryo stabilized dashcam like SJCam M20, Gitup G2, FireFly 6S to avoid microvibrations.
I strongly believe built in gryo will be industrial standart for dashcams starting from 2017 and we will have better quality images on our vehicles, soon.

I agree with you. Built quality is good, built-in GPS is nice but the camere is not good at all as many of the users buy this device to submit the video shot to law enforcement authorities incase of an accident.

On this dashcam, the number plates are not readable at all, even during the daylight, because of microvibration effect.

I bought this cam by looking at the advertisement videos on Youtube and by reading the technical specifications on internet. However, I realized after I bought that, the drivers used external gimbal to shot the advertisement videos on Youtube. So, if you want to buy dashcam to read number plates incase of accident or any dangerous encounter, you should;

1. Either do not buy dashcam like this one, with no built in gyro with anti-shake,
  2. Buy gryo stabilized dashcam like SJCam M20, Gitup G2, FireFly 6S to avoid microvibrations.
I strongly believe built in gryo will be industrial standart for dashcams starting from 2017 and we will have better quality images on our vehicles, soon.
Stabilization doesn't work in this kind of situation.
It makes it worse.
Different application, not meant for dashcam use.

Stabilization doesn't work in this kind of situation.
It makes it worse.
Different application, not meant for dashcam use.

Can you elaborate what you mean, a bit more? I am not sure if I understood your concern. Why do you think stabilization does not make any work on dashcam?

I had the same issue when using a modified mount ( sticky mount VS suction cup mount )
The cam started to vibrate . ( Vibration issues )
I used cloth tape to tighten at the mounting point ( mount to cam ) ..
Push come to shove , hot glue it .

my A261's display turned white after just 2 months of use....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 7
Back