Review of the Thinkware F750-2CH?

Ive not seen it mentioned anywhere yet but it's the Sony Exmor IMX122 sensor front and rear from what I can see in the firmware which was the same as in the older Panorama cameras.

It looks much more custom than the generic Ambarella firmwares I usually see though.

Also sounds like the firmware supports USB ethernet adaptors which is a new one!

Ive not seen it mentioned anywhere yet but it's the Sony Exmor IMX122 sensor front and rear from what I can see in the firmware which was the same as in the older Panorama cameras.

It looks much more custom than the generic Ambarella firmwares I usually see though.

Also sounds like the firmware supports USB ethernet adaptors which is a new one!

What format is the firmware in? I'm very interested in creating a custom firmware but haven't looked into it yet (I'm a developer by trade and have produced firmware for embedded devices).

Ah
there's a bunch of Ambarella tools already, @Tobi@s has a lot of info here to get you started http://dc.p-mc.eu/

most work with the platform came about due to the GoPro hacking community
Ah awesome, thanks for that. I just presumed all manufactorors had there own file system that just included the SDKs for the processor.

imgur.com/a/QOxeS

An album of pics from my F750 install for you guys. I tried everything to make the above a link or embedded media and failed. Maybe I don't have permission or something? *shrug*

Last edited:
There you go:
38wTRnI.jpg

bs7SH7s.jpg

J6FsAxS.jpg

ygbGCAo.jpg

xiMvH0I.jpg

HwJDkQB.jpg

Dz5rvi0.jpg

GER7ijk.jpg

fhcWoyS.jpg

dfvSWXW.jpg

rykQjkO.jpg

Have they fixed the boot times on the F750's? I've seen videos where the F550 cold boot times were about 70 sec from starting of the ignition to starting to record.

It takes a few moments then it has its GPS lock and starts recording. I'll time it when I start my commute tomorrow and get an exact figure for you.

I'm confused why boot up time would be an issue. Doesn't the F750 have a built in voltage meter so that it can run parking mode all the time?

Because in reality the camera doesn't last long on the car battery alone so I expect the camera would be off most of the time you jumped into your car. Also some people opt to not hardwire the camera either, so it's a relevant question to ask considering the previous thinkware models were reported to boot in 70+ second.

Thanks for the reply. How are you liking it so far? What other cams were you cross-shopping before choosing the F750?

I started out with the Transcend 200 then switched to a Möbius but then decided I wanted parking mode so my options were severely limited. I settled on the BlackVue but had problems with DAB. When I contacted a well reputed blackvue reseller is the UK, the guy there recommended I ditch the Dr650 and instead switch to the F750 as apparently they were in the process of doing so themselves. No issues now and I can forget that it's even installed.

The F750 video seems much better considering the F550 took 70 sec's to go from parking to driving mode.

Holy crap that's a long boot up. Yeah, maybe I'm in for a surprise when I hard-wire then :) I'll post results here when I get it linked up to the battery.

I settled on the BlackVue but had problems with DAB. When I contacted a well reputed blackvue reseller is the UK, the guy there recommended I ditch the Dr650 and instead switch to the F750 as apparently they were in the process of doing so themselves. No issues now and I can forget that it's even installed.

Have you noticed any DAB interference with the Thinkware f750? I'm poised to buy, but worried I'm missing something big (apart from the price!)

Have you noticed any DAB interference with the Thinkware f750? I'm poised to buy, but worried I'm missing something big (apart from the price!)

Just bought one anyway! Fingers crossed it doesn't cause DAB interference :)

Back