Review: "Smallest HD 720p DVR" or "Video Recorder A8"

Video seems to be something less than 30fps.

The early versions of this camera only had the date and time setting available. I'm sure these are still being sold. The newer / better ones have a sub-menu. When purchasing, look for menu / sub menu in the description and H264. In addition, look for vendors who have sold a lot. This will increase your chances of getting a good camera but it doesn't guarantee it.

Now my camera is dead. So let's open it! :twisted:

i45.tinypic.com_29pajwn.jpg

Just opened it.

i48.tinypic.com_2qki71x.jpg

Chip details.

i45.tinypic.com_207xa9e.jpg

The tiny battery and the micro SD slot.

i45.tinypic.com_2yugduv.jpg

The lens.

i45.tinypic.com_2ajx55v.jpg

More chip details.

Anymore details available to identify the bad earlier generation of this cam ?
I bought a unit from the supplier mentioned on Dashcamtalk named Sweetlife999, on his website ->
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1057417913
The webpage claims the product is a 'hot new arrival', which to me suggests it concerns the upgraded model.

What I received looks exactly like the bad unit in 'Dashacm.br''s photo, incl. the 'mute'-labelled indicator light.
I cannot access any submenu.

Thanks,
V.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you buy this cam?
The one I received looks identical to yours (incl. the 'mute' label), purchased at Sweetlife999 >
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1057417913

THANKS,
V.

dashcam.br said:
Well, I bought the wrong version (the one that does not record with the H264 codec). It fails horribly on what is now the #1 requirement to me: reliability. I was never able to record more than 15 minutes without the camera freezing. The last video file is lost after that, and sometimes the file system was corrupted. I wonder if it has something to do with the voltage fluctuation in my car, but how can I tell? The camera doesn't even come with a cigarette lighter adapter (you have to make your own).

And before that camera, I thought that image quality was the #1 requirement, because I bough two cheap chinese 640x480 cameras before. If anyone is interested, they are DX's SDU 66430 and DX's SDU 115079. Both are based on the same hardware - the one that creates the videos with the ugly green timestamps like this one. The images are so bad that I thought they were 320x240 interpolated, but after some tests, I'm now convinced that they are really 640x480 with just an horrible quality. That's why I was looking for at least an HD 720 camera.

Anyway, back to the "smallest HD 720p", if it does not clearly say H264, don't even bother buying it. You will be wasting your money. The image quality is much better than the generic SD cameras, but you simply can't count on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vronsky said:
Where did you buy this cam?
I got mine from welldonetech on eBay, the first link on the review page... :( I think we should point out which model is being sold by any "recommended" seller on the review page.

I just ordered one that is supposed to be the H.264 model, from the estore009 eBay seller. I'll write my comments when it arrives (it usually takes 4 to 6 weeks when shipped from China).

Analyzed the recorded clips.
It's JPEG coded videostream in AVI container, 1280/720, 24fps, each 2min 30sec, 256Mb

No problems with the cam yet, I wonder how long it'll last... :cry:

Best Regards,
V.

Vronsky said:
How did you wire your camera? I just soldered the two wires to an old cigarette adapter. The camera gets really hot and I think this is when it starts freezing (freezes when hot... :lol:), after 10 to 15 minutes. It is supposed to handle 9 V to 16 V, so I believe my setup is OK.

The main page was written a while ago and at that time all were selling the same model. It appears much has changed since then. Welldonetech no longer sells anything. Sweetlife999 appears to be selling the old version. Perhaps estore009 is selling the updated version. I will update the main page to remove these bad vendors. I will also look for other vendors.

dashcam.br said:
Vronsky said:
How did you wire your camera? I just soldered the two wires to an old cigarette adapter. The camera gets really hot and I think this is when it starts freezing (freezes when hot... :lol:), after 10 to 15 minutes. It is supposed to handle 9 V to 16 V, so I believe my setup is OK.

Hi,
I hardwired the cam to the nearby cabin lights.
Unit gets a little warm, but certainly not hot.
Works fine so far, no freezing/resetting yet ('fingers crossed').
Sure your car isn't 24V ?

Best,
V.

DashCamMan said:
The main page was written a while ago and at that time all were selling the same model. It appears much has changed since then. Welldonetech no longer sells anything. Sweetlife999 appears to be selling the old version. Perhaps estore009 is selling the updated version. I will update the main page to remove these bad vendors. I will also look for other vendors.

Sweetlife999 has confirmed to me it isn't the h.264 model.
But in all fairness, the unit I got works fine so far (about a week).
Also, in all honesty, for the price offered, you cann't really expect Triple A quality either.
Terrific thing about this cam is it's size: hope better models will come to the market soon.

Does anybody know where you can get the correct version from then?

alexanderfitu said:
Does anybody know where you can get the correct version from then?

I know the original manufacturer of this model but not sure if any of these online sellers buy from them though

Looking into it, it does appear as though the ones sold by Estore009 are the correct ones (at the moment) :) His acution shows H264 codec.

Vronsky said:
Sure your car isn't 24V ?
I thought all cars were 12 V! I just checked, and mine is.

jokiin said:
I know the original manufacturer of this model but not sure if any of these online sellers buy from them though
Do you have any link regarding this?

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
jokiin said:
Do you have any link regarding this?

enjoy,
Mtz

No, but they are a factory, they only build to order, from memory this was their first ever DVR product, I first saw it when it was still in tooling stage, I believe this is a public model now though so many suppliers would have this on offer

Too bad for them. They have a great chance and started with a very anticipated model but not good enough to offer quality. I know quality is possible to a very small camera because I have the 808 #18 and 808 #16. Unfortunately, these manufacturers didn't choose this form factor to sell their experience in small and good cameras even the chipset is Novatek. They proved the Novatek chipset is not a bad one.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Too bad for them. They have a great chance and started with a very anticipated model but not good enough to offer quality.
enjoy,
Mtz

DVR is something they had no experience in before so learning the hard way I think

Back