Review: "Smallest HD 720p DVR" or "Video Recorder A8"

Just an update, the estore009 seller has now upped the price to 98 pounds a unit! Not worth it for me now.

alexanderfitu said:
Just an update, the estore009 seller has now upped the price to 98 pounds a unit! Not worth it for me now.

They generally do this when they have no stock, the price should go back down once they are back in stock

jokiin said:
alexanderfitu said:

They generally do this when they have no stock, the price should go back down once they are back in stock

Aha! I wondered why they did this, thanks! :)

I bought Black Hero HD Car DVR. Video Codex isn’t H.262 but these two cameras have some similarities. First I powered with a regulated power supply at DC 12 V, and connected video to a TV. Camera was cycling every 2 minutes and 5 sec and the size of a cycle vas about 262 MB. The SD card was 16GB class10. It took no more than 10 minutes for the camera to start warming up near the SD card slot area. The default time set up was at least 18 months ago. Decreased the voltage at 10 V and vas praying for the battery to start recharging, but I new it was damaged probably beyond repair. Lowered the voltage at 10V and the temperature stabilized at around 100F. The camera stopped cycling and I got Error on file in computer. Continued charging the battery, formatted the card in computer, quick format default, and camera started cycling again. After 2 hours, powered up, the battery was holding some charge and the camera normalized. Restarted the camera from play the mode inserting a paper clip at the hole. Formatted SD card, in the camera, from Play mode, pressing the button opposite to the orange one. Not the round shaped one. From the play mode pressing the red button started the resetting mode. The red button scroll down, two black buttons increase and decrease numerical value. Date and time was set up. Put camera in recording for 3 hours connected with the TV monitor. Cycling was smooth, no gaps and the period of time changed to 2 minutes and 53 seconds per cycle. Camera filled up the card at 2.5 hours and was recording over the oldest files. The quality of video and audio was good. As good as can be from a 1.3MP camera. So far so good. But there is a common problem. Both cameras have a build in 300mAh Rechargeable Li ion Polymer battery. I found in e bay one for $10. I am planning to charge properly the new battery out of the camera. This type of battery has to put in charge at 3V and considered charged at 3.9V. This battery falls asleep if discharged at 2.7V, sustain considerable damage at 2.4 V, and set on fire if recharged after falling at 1.5 v or lower. I plain to connect the new battery in parallel with the old one and after cut off short the wires of the old battery.

I have also bought one of these cameras, from Estore009 on ebay. So far, so good. I've had it here for two months now, but it's only been in the car for 4 days. The video quality is what I expected. I think I might be able to correct the smoothing the encoder puts on the video. I'll try some video editing when I get a clip worth sharing. Until then, I hope I have better luck with this camera than what I've been reading on here these past few weeks.

BTW, it is the h.264 version. I use 5 min. clips and they take about 285MB per, that means 4.5 hours of recording on my 16GB uSD card.

Can anyone describe how I do to open the camera case on a A8? I want to see if I can reverse the camera mount.

oddpoo said:
Can anyone describe how I do to open the camera case on a A8? I want to see if I can reverse the camera mount.
I destroyed mine trying to open it, and it's the other model, but with a very similar case. On mine, once you remove the ring around the pause button (the only one on the side), which is glued to camera, you can see the four screws that hold the camera. Remove the screws and the rest is simple.

35hmde1.jpg

The glued ring that covers the screws.

I made an aluminum bracket, to remove the camera from the car at anytime.

Attachments

• IMG_2415 copy.gif
    IMG_2415 copy.gif
    53.8 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_2412 copy.gif
    IMG_2412 copy.gif
    220.2 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_2419 copy.gif
    IMG_2419 copy.gif
    176.4 KB · Views: 705
the kid said:
how do i set it to auto loop record?, my camera just records untill the card is full and then thats it....

jokiin said:
What menu options do you have?

Sometimes the setting is referred to as loop, other times its recycle, would be really surprised if there wasn't an option for this on a generic cam like that

Hi,
I have two of the 'A8' recorders. They will do 1,2 or 5 minute loops, or you can disable the looping. If you disable it, it stops recording when the card is full. I wish it had an overwrite feature. With mine, you need to hold the menu button while recording to get to the options. If you do it from playback, it only gives you date/time.

I have the manual posted online if anyone is interested. Not sure what the rules are about posting outside links.

My canera is Black Hero. It is similar but not identical. In my case i solved the problem reformating the SD Card in the camera, using the camera's firm ware. After the card was formated i was prompted with two choices. The default was cycling. To reformat the card, the video connector of the camera has to be connected with an old TV, or you have to spend $30 to buy this, and connect to the computer via USB.

Attachments

• 52295.jpg
    52295.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 641
Hi az_max,

Feel free to post the link to the manual. Outside links are fine except for obvious spam or offensive material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ordered the latest version of this dashcam at estore009 together with a DVR 207 to check which one is the better one.
Would like to know wether it is possible to hook the A8 onto a Galaxy S to use that screen.
If the 207 is better I will check out if the A8 is suitable for placing at the rear window.

I bought The Black Hero one month ago. I had some small issues that overcomed quickly. It is a good idea to format the SD card in the camera using the camera's firmware. Since then camera is working as described, cycling every 3 minutes. Today I transfered the SD in computer and the number at files reached over 400. The quality of wideos is good in day time, and not so bad during the night. There is only one issue I'm still working on it. After 30 minutes of driving the camera gets real hot near the SD slot, and you can feel the heat near the camera lenses. The processor produces heat but the voltage regulator incorporated inside the camera contributes too. After some testing I found out that at 10 Volt input, the camera survive one hour trip. So far so good, but under the summer sun things may change. The manual stipulates that camera accepts 9V to 16V. Tested with 9V and camera worked just fine. Decreased at 8 V and still working but I don't want to push so hard. Today I ordered at Aliexpress a 12V to 9V Step down module. I have nothing to loose feeding the camera with 9V to the lower voltage shrethold recommended by the manufacturer. I'm still working on it.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-DC-Bu ... 32789.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received 2 of these from china (aliexpress). They're the new version and video quality is alright but night quality is horrible compared to my ITB 100HD. The first thing I noticed is it causes major interference with my FM stereo. Static goes in and out. It could be where it's located. I drive a VW Golf MKVI and have it mounted on the rear window. If this issue didn't exist, I'd say it's a nice cam for $38.

mab said:
Just ordered the latest version of this dashcam at estore009 together with a DVR 207 to check which one is the better one.
My DVR 027 arrived couple of days ago (got this one from DX). I also bought an A8 from estore009 at eBay and want to compare both too.

Edit: Just noticed that Techmoan has reviewed the A8 version: link.

Having this camera for same time I have to deal with some issues. Based on my time a have spend with the camera this is my advice:
Make sure to feed the camera with 9V DC. If the product has >6 months shelf time, then Li ion battery needs to be recharged in very low rate. After recharging my Li ion Battery readings were 3.9 - 4.0 V, i.e. a healthy battery.
Formatting SD in the camera helps.
This camera has a tendency to overheat, and you can feel the heat near SD card slot and around lenses where the hot air is trapped. The lower voltage helps but cannot solve the problem. This camera works well at 32F and the interior of camera warms up fast at 70F and this is the perfect temperature for the circuit. At 70F ambient temperature, the camera gets hot around 110F. But what would happen in a hot summer sunny day?
The camera would overheat. For only $40 the temptation is to get this camera, it is worth it, but this isn’t a set and forget camera. After installing permanently the camera in my car I changed my mind. Now I’m powering the camera through a cigarette lighter plug, equipped with an ON/OFF switch, and a step down voltage @9V device. In the summer, till the car cools down by AC, I will keep camera OFF. In the future I may use it as a rear camera. As you already know this camera isn’t very impressive, and easily may end in the collection of dead cameras.
Finally.
I open this camera and added many vent holes mostly around the lenses; two of the holes were located in both sides of the microphone housing. My advice is DO NOT DO IT, unless you are patient, have time, have a set of Cell phone Precision screwdrivers and common sense. The round shape coil is glued with some silicone and can go out easily with a box-cutting knife.
If you will decide to open vent holes do not use a drill bit because there is not too much room to play inside. A teethed cork (stopper) borers can do the job better. Good luck.

This is the camera's cover. Do not destroy 4 supporters of the PCB.

Attachments

• IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 436
Back