Reviewing footage on pc

I'll probably have to just leave it as I haven't a clue on how to do it or where to find the updates unless there's a tutorial video on YouTube

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

It's very easy to install new firmware.

Here are the instructions from the Viofo web site.

Links to various firmware mods are available here in the DCT website or can be provided by other members.

instructions.jpg

But where do I find 1.03 and the vvs mod 205

Hang on, I'll boot up the PC ...........

....... right, the important thing is to rename the file you are going to use to just "FWA119V3.bin" - with exactly the same upper and lower chars within the quotes.

I rename them for identification and so I can keep them in a single folder.

>> Version 1.03 <<

>> vvs Version 205 <<

These are the versions I currently have in stock :

wOWVEyM.jpg

Last edited:
So now they're saved just follow the instructions for each file. Do I just move both of them to formatted card then reboot or one at a time
5fba7c2f480763d7da8f55bab57c8e13.jpg

..... and don't forget to rename whichever one you're trying first

..... and don't forget to rename whichever one you're trying first
I know this sounds daft but just right click on file the down to rename

On either the card or the PC before you move it, rename whichever single file you're using to just FWA119V3.bin

The only thing I do different to Viofo is that I never use the PC USB connection to perform the upgrade. I always use a mobile phone USB charging brick.

So, in a nutshell :

1) After the above, you have a SDCard with just the .bin file on it, no folders, just the single file.

2) SdCard into the dashcam

3) Power up the dashcam with a USB lead

4) The dashcam will start to flash red ....... wait ....... when complete the dashcam will reboot and start to record, takes about a minute.

That is certainly a truck from the same company. The one that struck you was probably hoofing it, trying to catch up with his mate.

One thing to note. Any firmware upgrade returns the dashcam to default settings.

In the case of the vvs mod the default language looks like Russian so take a note of the language position in the menu structure.

That is certainly a truck from the same company. The one that struck you was probably hoofing it, trying to catch up with his mate.
Yeah that was my thoughts

One thing to note. Any firmware upgrade returns the dashcam to default settings.

In the case of the vvs mod the default language looks like Russian so take a note of the language position in the menu structure.
OK thanks. New mirror coming tomorrow so looks like I'll be scratching my head a bit on Saturday trying to get the door panel off. I'll try and get the cam sorted over the weekend also

I think this is similar vehicle to the one that collided with my partner. Its 10 seconds into the vid
a7d182835854a81bcbaa8cd231d3c39c.jpg
013c47e3e8881e212c0425c4751b79b3.jpg

That's an identical truck. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to identify the company and reach out to them. Ask if one of their trucks came back damaged. As you know taking off the mirror would have left some visible sign of damage on the truck. See what they say, as all you can do is ask.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw what appears to be a commercial truck in the additional image @Dalevw posted because it reminded me of something I experienced long ago.

All the way back in 2013, I had a similar incident. Coming around a blind curve in the road I travel everyday a truck came speeding around the bend WAY over the double yellow line and nearly hit me head on. I couldn't swerve away or I would have gone right off a steep embankment with a ten foot drop into an alfalfa field. Fortunately, the truck swerved away at the last moment but he nearly sideswiped me and came within a few inches of taking off my driver's side rear view mirror. I was very lucky!

Back in those days there was no such thing as multi-channel dash cameras but there was certainly a need. As far as I know, I was the first person on DCT to begin experimenting with rear and side facing cameras and had only recently begun to do so. Basically, when I upgraded to a new dash cam I would re-purpose the old cameras on my rear window and rear driver's side window and then eventually to both side windows. So, when this near miss accident occurred, I wasn't able to catch a plate number but the rear camera captured a clear shot of the name of the business on the rear tailgate of the truck that almost hit me. It was a local roofing and construction company that has many similar vehicles in their fleet. Thanks to the rear camera, had the guy actually hit me I would have known right where to go to report what happened.

It was that incident that convinced me to never be without a rear facing camera ever since!

Here are a couple of screen shots of what happened. I'd have to dig deeper to see if I still have the rear camera image. It is posted somewhere here on the forum.
curvei_near_miss.jpg

curve_near_miss2.jpg

Last edited:
That's one of those incidents where we say 'shout the number plate into the dashcam' but when your faced with that, the last thing on your mind is shouting a number.

That's one of those incidents where we say 'shout the number plate into the dashcam' but when your faced with that, the last thing on your mind is shouting a number.

I was in a horrific accident 22 years ago with friends - Way before Dash Cameras. Without going into the details, our carved swerved, hit an embankment, and went airborne. Ended up rolling 6-7 times before coming to a stop on its roof. Last thing you think about is anything happening around you.

Only thing I kept thinking was Ouch, F*ck this hurt. Ouch F*ck, this Hurt. Still Alive. Ouch F*ck this sucks. Until coming to a stop upside down, unlatching my seatbelt, and then falling on my head to crawl out the window through broken shards of glass that cut into my arm.

Everyone lived but there were some very serious injuries to the two occupants next to me in the rear passenger seats. I made it out with a nice bump on my head from hitting the damn window, a bloody nose, and a bloody arm from the glass digging in while crawling out. No worse for wear than scared sh*tless and disoriented.

It sounds great to "shout a plate" but in reality, everything rational shuts down, and you're tunnel visioned on that given moment of am I going to die.

Last edited:
In this video there is no HDR and the horizon is wrong 70% of the sky and 30% of the road.
Now, if the horizon was at least 50/50 and the HDR was turned on, then the chances of catching the number increased
Agree with this, no dashcam would catch that plate without using HDR and there is no evidence of HDR being used in that video.

I think the speed was probably too high anyway for any current dashcam, but there are improved HDR versions coming.

This dashcam probably needs a firmware update to enable the HDR, probably worthwhile with winter approaching in the UK.

The reason I surmised that the image might be captured using HDR was because I noticed that it has the characteristic "stacked image appearance" we've seen in other examples of the modified V3 firmware regardless of whether it was able to capture the license plate number.

In my own experiments with VVS modified firmware I had two distinct outcomes with and without HDR in low light situations.

HDR displays an elongated "box like_ appearance to the license plate whereas without HDR I'll get a more typical looking blurred low light image.

Here HDR is off.
nohdr.jpg

Here HDR is on. Note the "box like" appearance of the plate, similar to the image @gse posted (below) but not anywhere near as effective at capturing the number.
Sometimes headlights appear more like in gse's image when HDR is enabled.
hdr.jpg

Безымянный.jpg

Last edited:
Back