Rexing V1P power problems? Cable or dashcam problem?

KuroKuro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just spent quite a bit of time setting up my Rexing V1P. I tried connecting the 12v power cable to the Dashcam but it wouldn't turn on. I then tried to plug it in and restart the car, still no luck. I tried using the usb power cable to the cars usb port, dashcam will turn on but wont hold power and continuously shuts off/on. Tried connecting via in home usb connection and same thing will power on and off unless cable is held in a very specific position. Did I just get a bunk unit? Or does this sound like a different problem. Very frustrating this is the 2nd Rexing V1P that I've gotten from Best Buy, the first didn't even have all the necessary cables nor the MicroSD card.

Seems like the power keeps shutting off only when it is actively recording. If I turn recording off it doesn't shut down

V1P will only work with Rexing brand 12v to USB converter. May be true of newer Rexing cams, too - I'm about to find out.
(Some GPS devices use the same trick; 5th pin in mini USB connector prevents use of other brands of cable/converter.)

Found a leaking capacitor within Rexing's power supply. Photo shows a swollen 470µF 10v electrolytic cap leaking into plastic case (tan colored residue).
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.....
Re the 5th pin trick, power from any 12v to 5v USB buck converter should work, using original Rexing 5-pin USB cable to camera.

Attachments

• RexingCap.jpg
    RexingCap.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Just spent quite a bit of time setting up my Rexing V1P. I tried connecting the 12v power cable to the Dashcam but it wouldn't turn on. I then tried to plug it in and restart the car, still no luck. I tried using the usb power cable to the cars usb port, dashcam will turn on but wont hold power and continuously shuts off/on. Tried connecting via in home usb connection and same thing will power on and off unless cable is held in a very specific position. Did I just get a bunk unit? Or does this sound like a different problem. Very frustrating this is the 2nd Rexing V1P that I've gotten from Best Buy, the first didn't even have all the necessary cables nor the MicroSD card.

We apologize for your frustration. To continuously power the Rexing V1P, you need the Compatible Mini-USB Power Cable

Rexing Dual USB QC2.0 Car Charger w/ 13ft Mini-USB Cable for Powering REXING Dash Cams, Mobile Phones​

Back