Right turn lane splitter almost side swipe my car, two incident on the same day.

BurritoJoe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Basically I'm on a single lane road that is just wide enough for two cars to be on, but just barely.

The first incident you will see that the mini van behind me does a lane split so that he can make his right turn after two other cars in front of him does this successfully, unfortunately this d-bag just can't seem to grasp how wide his mini van is and he cause his right wheels to climb on top of the edge of the curve several time and almost side swipe my car, he was just an inch away or less, I checked. My car was at the very point where the lane gets very narrow and bottle neck at that particular point in the lane.

Back View
Front View

After that incident another one seems like it was going to happen to me again, but this time with a BMW. This other d-bag also try to make a right turn and I let him when I try to go to the far left to the point where my tires are on top of the center divider. This guy had enough space on his right to pass me and make that right turn, but he just linger around my right rear, until I just had enough and intentionally block this guy because of the earlier incident and because he was too close to the right side of my car, I was trying to avoid an accident. All he had to do was stay close to his right near the curve to successfully pass my car and make his right.

After that first incident I've decided to block that lane in the first video, it's way too narrow for cars to pass and make a right, I've usually do this before this incident happen but for some stupid reason that day I stay close to the left thinking no one would be that dumb to make a pass to make a right turn. Boy was I wrong, not once but three times.

Back View

Front View

Some people are really, really bad at judging how much space they have on the non driver side. They need to leave a 2 or 3 feet minimum gap to be safe. It leads to absurd hesitancy.

Of course the ones who are too confident are worse. A junction I go through often has two lanes going forward but they merge after the lights. It is the left, kerbside lane that disappears. Those in the know stay on the right. When it's congested a zipper merge is in order. Sometimes the dead end lane stays empty. But in the mirror you see someone in the distance trying to be clever by bombing along the empty lane to overtake as many people as possible.

At that junction I always take control as soon as possible by spanning both lanes. It's not because I'm being a dick, it's because I've seen too many near collisions there. Surprisingly (or maybe not) when I do this it becomes less stressful for everyone, even the idiots who would like to race past.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

At that junction I always take control as soon as possible by spanning both lanes. It's not because I'm being a dick, it's because I've seen too many near collisions there.

I do similarly. I call this "Decisive Driving" where you leave nobody guessing what you are doing, or what your intentions are, or leaving them an easy opportunity to screw up. Like Yoda said, "Do or do not. There is no try" :cool: Give a fool a chance and they will take it even when it's a poor chance. Many of the residential streets here are somewhat narrow but will still allow two full-sized vans to pass safely. When I see oncoming traffic I pull as far to the edge as I can, then see how they respond. If they also try to make room we're both fine. But if they don't I will get close to the center and not look at them. I'm entitled to my half of the road an they know it, and without eye contact they cannot be sure I am paying any attention to them so they suddenly get over fully into their half where they belong. I'm still watching them with my peripheral vision but they don't know that and with my big van they're not going to take a chance on crashing when they know I'm in the right. I'll yield if I have to so that I don't crash but they don't know that either ;) I do this to educate them about staying on their half of the road, not to be a 'dick' since I'm bigger than they are. I've noticed that it works as I see those same people often interacting with other traffic. And once in a while I'll notice where their outside mirror is now missing- they learned how wide their vehicle is the hard way but at least they learned :p

Driving is dynamic and no rule or standard can cover every situation in the best manner. There are times to "be nice" and allow others through, and there are times where doing that can lead to trouble. Don't be ambiguous, make a good decision then follow it through. Don't give a fool a chance to screw up and then they won't :)

Phil

I used to do something similar on a motorbike. For background, my only serious accident was as a learner when a car waited at a side street but pulled out at the very last second inexplicably.

After that day I noticed many, many cars pulling out from side streets in front of me but made damn sure I didn't hit them.

But a pattern emerged. Lots of those cars were pulling out but then slowing, aiming to barely miss me. This annoyed me, because I had no way of knowing if they'd seen me. So I had to slow down. Which messed up their calculations so they had to slow down. But they didn't stop, so I had to slow more, and basically everything ground to a halt. Ridiculous.

So from then on, whenever I saw someone edging out in front of me, I'd put my headlights on main beam, speed up, and head straight at the drivers door.

And blow me down if 99% of them didn't slam on the brakes immediately.

I wasn't being dangerous. I always made sure I could easily stop for those 1% who genuinely hadn't seen me.

But it really highlights just how ridiculous some lazy driving habits are.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back